From Moto Droid to HTC Droid Incredible - My Review

OP
O

opengeo

Reaction score
My review and recommendation is definitely for those who do not root phones. Rooting the Droid, you can come close to matching the Incredible's performance. Of course, the Moto will always be heavier and have the physical keyboard, two things I didn't particularly care for on the Droid. Well into day 2 with my Incredible and very happy with it.

Mule65

Reaction score
I only had it for 30 days. My 30th day was the last day of my exchange policy which happened to be yesterday the release day of the Incredible. I decided to go with the Incredible because I never used the physical keyboard and a lot of the updates on the incredible were things that I wanted. I also wanted more of an iphone esque phone which this definitely is. I love the phone so far and zero issues. It was an easy conversion from the moto droid. I agree with all the positive incredible reviews!

I'm in the same boat -- what did Verizon charge you for the switch? Did you do it online or find a store? Thanks.

rushmore

Reaction score
I am trying the Droid and Inc:

1. I prefer the Droid's display, since I notice the dark dots around the active pixels on Inc. Reminds me of a plasma display. Droid is much sharper and more definition. Inc is more vivid and better contrast (like a plasma).

2. Based on the 1X engineer page, Droid signal is far more stable and about 30% stronger. Performance backs this up. I thought the signals were a little closer until I tested both devices in weaker areas.

3. I am a gamer, and real keyboard is much better for the emulators. That said, basic games are playable due to Inc's good touch sensors.

4. Most Flash content needs hard keys and especially arrow keys. Droid has them mapped via the d-pad.

Still, for most people, the Inc is a better device, if games are not a priority. The Inc display is still very good, just (IMO) not better than Droid's.

BTW, why does the market lag (15 or more seconds) from the point you pick an app to install and it actually getting to the screen to install? Droid does not do this and my G1 does not either.

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
1. So, u can say for the screens its kinda like LCD TV vs. Plasma TV. Thats just great......lol.

2. Signal strength.....after trying other phones, I think Imma stick with a Motorola device. They never let me down in the past.

3. I dont game like that, but people who do should take notice.

OP
O

opengeo

Reaction score
Yeah, for me, the screen looks as sharp as the Droid, and I don't get the signal strength comments. The actual signal strength is the same as the Droid. The number of bars is less than actual, which is a known bug. I'm a heavier gamer and the Inc experience matches the Moto experience IMO. In fact, because the Inc is so much faster, gaming is a better experience for me.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I will say somethig about reception:

Lets rewind a few years back. On Verizon. I had a Motorola E815. I replaced that with the Samnsung u740/Alias. The E815 had better reception, worked underground in the subway tunnels, u740 didnt.

I 'm still on Verizon, went from u740 to Omnia 1. Still had bad reception, not working in tunnels, neither worked at my new job unless I went to the top floor near the windows in the hallway. I also moved to an area that I found out had bad reception...cuz my phone didnt work good at home.

Jump to now. Replaced the Omnia 1 with the Droid. My Droid I can use it on my floor (3rd) and at my desk. Its get even better when I go in the hallway near the windows on the 3rd floor. I can even download at my desk or in the hallway. (can only get 3G in the hallway tho; get 1x at my desk) The Droid works in the subway tunnels. I can browse the web and make/recieve calls underground.

Omnia didnt work in the subway tunnels, from day 1. u740 /Alias either; E815 did and Droid does.

Only difference? E815 and Droid is made by Motorola; Omnia, u740/Alias made by Samsung. If people are having reception issues, the actual phone does play a part. If u live/work in an area where reception is flaky, u will know by the brand of phone you use.

Now, the only way u can tell if the Incredible will have good reception for you, is to get it. Use it where u need it the most. If it works for u, then u dont have to worry about reception. If u live/work in an area with good reception, then u wont notice it. If u live/work in a area with bad reception, u will defitinely notice.

*I never used the Incredible, I'm saying if a phone has bad reception u will notice by using it in an area with bad reception*

Last edited:

dun4cheap

Reaction score
Just ordered a droid and got an incredible for free

I bought 2 droids from Costco in February for $100 each and absolutely love the phones. My girlfriend decided she wanted to join my plan so I had 5 lines on my account and had to split it to a 2nd account. So I called VZ to find out that they have an internal deal that if you purchase any Moto Droid that you get any droid phone equal or lesser value for free. So I used my new every two and got a Moto Droid and an Incredible for $100. I will retire my moto droid with the incredible when I get it and my girl friend will get the new Moto droid.

In any event I am looking forward to the faster processor and 7 bd screens.

I also wanted to let you all know about the internal customer service special going on if you call Verizon Customer service. This deal was not available online or in the store.

ExactDroid

Reaction score
Eh, I would only disagree with the htc email app being great. It still makes singular lines for emails instead of grouping them like gmail does naturally. other than that, the sense ui is amazing. Even on my droid. :)

You have the option.... just change the view and you can see the different formats for displaying e-mails.

spyder560

Reaction score
I bought 2 droids from Costco in February for $100 each and absolutely love the phones. My girlfriend decided she wanted to join my plan so I had 5 lines on my account and had to split it to a 2nd account. So I called VZ to find out that they have an internal deal that if you purchase any Moto Droid that you get any droid phone equal or lesser value for free. So I used my new every two and got a Moto Droid and an Incredible for $100. I will retire my moto droid with the incredible when I get it and my girl friend will get the new Moto droid.

I also wanted to let you all know about the internal customer service special going on if you call Verizon Customer service. This deal was not available online or in the store.

What is this 'internal customer service special' ??

kmo

Reaction score
Okay, getting more and more convinced to move my Droid over to my wife and take her upgrade for the Incredible. Now, gotta read twenty more threads to confuse me.. ;)

One says yea, the next say nay. Though it appears the Incredible is winning the war. :) mikey
Stop looking at the threads, you said it yourself it'll just get more confusing. Opinions are a dime a dozen, this Droid Incredible is an amazing device. Anyone who can't see that doesn't need to be using a smartphone, IMHO. ;)

sorphin

Reaction score
This makes me sad that I can't get an Incredible, but happy that in 16 months when my new every 2 is up, there will be something that blows the Incredible away.

I almost said that.. but after 3 flakey droids, i went and paid retail for the Incredible (minus $75 after prodding VZW).. I've traded my 4th (working) droid in for a couple hundred, and i'm not looking back. The Incredible, to me, after having it officially a week now, was worth it. Sorry Moto.

cb2000a

Reaction score
This makes me sad that I can't get an Incredible, but happy that in 16 months when my new every 2 is up, there will be something that blows the Incredible away.

That will happen much sooner than that. At the rate we are going by next fall there will be such phones.

Joeybones

Reaction score

I got (essentially) that same deal at the store. Shelled out $300 and will get $200 rebated back for a net cost of $100 for two phones. Got the wife a Droid and my Incredible is on it's way...

dun4cheap

Reaction score
The internal deal was buy a moto droid and get a droid for free. So I got a moto droid for a 100.00 and an incredible for free.