From Moto Droid to HTC Droid Incredible - My Review

opengeo

Reaction score
Pre-ordered and received new HTC Incredible last night, after owning a Droid since December. Before that, I was a Blackberry Pearl/Curve owner. I would have loved the get an iPhone, but I'm with Verizon and will be for a long time as they, at least in the NYC area, are by far the best carrier.

The Droid, for me, was an 8/10 smartphone. I had issues with the physical keyboard, microphone, speaker, headphone port, overall lagginess switching between programs and menues....but, overall, I really enjoyed the Droid while I had it.

Enter the Droid Incredible. I'm on a family plan and usually use other line upgrades to play with new phones as they come out. I knew I wanted the Incredible pretty much right away, as it seemed to improve upon many of the issues I had with my Droid. Let's get to it then. I transferred devices over the phone with Verizon in about 30 minutes. After a day of playing with it, I'd rate it a 9/10 smartphone. And a big part of the reason why, is HTC Sense. Having no experience with the Sense UI, I was nervous, but WOW. The HTC experience blows the Moto experience out of the water IMHO:

- Why download Beautiful Widgets when HTC comes with better ones?
- Why download countless apps to improve the messaging and email UIs when HTC has already integrated those improvements? The clock/weather, messaging, email, photo album widgets are nothing short of awesome. Seriously.
- HTC also has a kick-ass music widget integrated and the ability to control music from the lock screen, something the Droid lacked and it really annoyed me. HTC definitely has their hands more into multimedia projects and it shows. What I wanted was an iPhone killer. The Droid was close, but just short. The Incredible just might be the ticket.

Other points:
- The Incredible is much narrower, lighter and faster than the Droid. Noticably, so, in those categories.
- The phone doesn't feel plasticky, though the back panel is plastic. The device is polished without question. I was able to use my Droid 16 gig sd card in the Incredible straight away. Taking off the back cover wasn't easy as I thought it should be, but a minor inconvenience.
- Call quality is about the same as on the droid, which is good, not great.
- Battery life is definitely not as good as the Droid, which is the one big flaw so far. I will be getting one of the Seidio extended batteries soon, I think.
- Virtual keyboard still isn't my favorite, so I installed the Swype APK and I'm happy again. Swype represents the future of touch phone keyboards anyway, IMO.
- Camera is so much better than the Droid, it isn't funny.

The list goes on and on.

If you have any questions about specific features not mentioned above, please let me know, and I'll give you my opinion, fwiw.

Last edited:

ksaim

Reaction score
Agree with you on all counts, only one negative IMO...

The lack of support for multiple exchange accounts is disappointing. It was available on the Moto Droid, but is not available on the Incredible. Sadness. Other than that I love, love, love it!!!

OP
O

opengeo

Reaction score
The lack of support for multiple exchange accounts is disappointing. It was available on the Moto Droid, but is not available on the Incredible. Sadness. Other than that I love, love, love it!!!
I just went to my exchange account I have set up. Options > List Accounts...and I have the option to add another exchange account. Does that not work? Honestly, though, I think you might be in the minority as a user who needs to connect to two exchange accounts, ya know?

By the way, the Email UI is A MILLION times better on the Incredible than the Moto Droid. My goodness is it better. If you are a work email user on your phone, you must try it out on the Incredible. Night and day.

shamus

Reaction score
Couple since since I'm on the fence if you don't mind...
Does gmail actually show images?
Does facebook still suck?

OP
O

opengeo

Reaction score
Couple since since I'm on the fence if you don't mind...
Does gmail actually show images?
Does facebook still suck?

1). Yes. There is a 'Show Pictures' button that shows images when clicked.
2). Yes. I'm not into Facebook, really, but I did login and play around. Same crappy app. That's Facebook's fault, though, not Moto or HTC. ;)

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Eh, I would only disagree with the htc email app being great. It still makes singular lines for emails instead of grouping them like gmail does naturally. other than that, the sense ui is amazing. Even on my droid. :)

jasonb

Reaction score
HTC Inc > Moto Droid

just got mine yesterday morning. had it about 27 hours now. thing is an absolute beast!

Mojo

Reaction score
From everything I've read, the incredible seems like a worthy upgrade. I wish I could grab one. The biggest selling point for me is the TV out. That is something I really, really! Wish the Droid could do.

mach330

Reaction score
i really thing the dinc improved on the virtual keyboard compare to the droid. i swear i can type just as fast with the dinc than i can with my old crappy voyager. not sure if it actually has multitouch on the keyboard (meaning I can go on the next letter without lifting the previous one), but it kept up with me very well.

i love how light it is as well compare to the droid. overall, i'm quite impress. feels very good on the hand.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I might get an Incredible, but I want to say this--you can't say the HTC experience is > than the Motorola experience, when its a Google experience phone :D

Big Cam

Reaction score
This makes me sad that I can't get an Incredible, but happy that in 16 months when my new every 2 is up, there will be something that blows the Incredible away.

Mojo

Reaction score
I might get an Incredible, but I want to say this--you can't say the HTC experience is > than the Motorola experience, when its a Google experience phone :D

I don't know about that man... some of the things I've seen the sense ui do that the "Google experience" does not. HTC has really done a nice job. I really love how you can use the "pinch zoom" on the home screen to switch between different screens. Way better then what Google did with theirs on the nexus.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Thats irrelevant to what I posted though. I never said Google experience was better.
I just said you couldn't call it a Motorola experience.

Mojo

Reaction score
Wouldn't a Motorola experience phone be one with motoblur.... I'm just saying LOL.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Yep...you and I are saying the same thing, just in a different way.

The OP was saying the HTC experience was better than the Motorola experience, which isn't the case on the Droid. Its a google experience ;)