From Moto Droid to HTC Droid Incredible - My Review

OP
O

opengeo

Reaction score
Yep...you and I are saying the same thing, just in a different way.

The OP was saying the HTC experience was better than the Motorola experience, which isn't the case on the Droid. Its a google experience ;)
Good point. There really is no moto experience.

sylent101

Reaction score
Have you guys noticed that the droid was the only google experience phone from moto? i really hope they dont botch up droid 2 with that gross ui.. i played with a cliq and it was terrible

Sal

Reaction score
P
- HTC also has a kick-ass music widget integrated and the ability to control music from the lock screen, something the Droid lacked and it really annoyed me. HTC definitely has their hands more into multimedia projects and it shows.

fwiw.

What do you mean by that. I can adjust volume on my MotoDroid without unlocking, Do you mean you can control everything in the music app without unlocking on the Inc?

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
P
- HTC also has a kick-ass music widget integrated and the ability to control music from the lock screen, something the Droid lacked and it really annoyed me. HTC definitely has their hands more into multimedia projects and it shows.

fwiw.

What do you mean by that. I can adjust volume on my MotoDroid without unlocking, Do you mean you can control everything in the music app without unlocking on the Inc?

Yep. You can ffwd rev play and pause from the lock screen.

jasonb

Reaction score
P

fwiw.

play some music and lock the phone. you can pause, and skip right on the lock screen.

Sal

Reaction score
P

fwiw.

Darn. Just when I'd talked myself out of the full retail upgrade....another reason to do it.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

Darn. Just when I'd talked myself out of the full retail upgrade....another reason to do it.

Or, wait for the desire ROM? I am hoping it is completely running soon.

Dustinmj

Reaction score
Pre-ordered and received new HTC Incredible last night, after owning a Droid since December. Before that, I was a Blackberry Pearl/Curve owner. I would have loved the get an iPhone, but I'm with Verizon and will be for a long time as they, at least in the NYC area, are by far the best carrier.

The Droid, for me, was an 8/10 smartphone. I had issues with the physical keyboard, microphone, speaker, headphone port, overall lagginess switching between programs and menues....but, overall, I really enjoyed the Droid while I had it.

Enter the Droid Incredible. I'm on a family plan and usually use other line upgrades to play with new phones as they come out. I knew I wanted the Incredible pretty much right away, as it seemed to improve upon many of the issues I had with my Droid. Let's get to it then. I transferred devices over the phone with Verizon in about 30 minutes. After a day of playing with it, I'd rate it a 9/10 smartphone. And a big part of the reason why, is HTC Sense. Having no experience with the Sense UI, I was nervous, but WOW. The HTC experience blows the Moto experience out of the water IMHO:

- Why download Beautiful Widgets when HTC comes with better ones?
- Why download countless apps to improve the messaging and email UIs when HTC has already integrated those improvements? The clock/weather, messaging, email, photo album widgets are nothing short of awesome. Seriously.
- HTC also has a kick-ass music widget integrated and the ability to control music from the lock screen, something the Droid lacked and it really annoyed me. HTC definitely has their hands more into multimedia projects and it shows. What I wanted was an iPhone killer. The Droid was close, but just short. The Incredible just might be the ticket.

Other points:
- The Incredible is much narrower, lighter and faster than the Droid. Noticably, so, in those categories.
- The phone doesn't feel plasticky, though the back panel is plastic. The device is polished without question. I was able to use my Droid 16 gig sd card in the Incredible straight away. Taking off the back cover wasn't easy as I thought it should be, but a minor inconvenience.
- Call quality is about the same as on the droid, which is good, not great.
- Battery life is definitely not as good as the Droid, which is the one big flaw so far. I will be getting one of the Seidio extended batteries soon, I think.
- Virtual keyboard still isn't my favorite, so I installed the Swype APK and I'm happy again. Swype represents the future of touch phone keyboards anyway, IMO.
- Camera is so much better than the Droid, it isn't funny.

The list goes on and on.

If you have any questions about specific features not mentioned above, please let me know, and I'll give you my opinion, fwiw.

Had the Droid since November and it's been my baby... got Incredible yesterday.

This post is 100% accurate, except I rather like the virtual keyboard. IMO (Sense on the DI)/(Google Experience on the Droid) > 1.5. Just another $0.02 in the pot FWIW

claustin

Reaction score
Just got mine last night. Last one in the store :icon_ banana: This thing blows away the Droid performance-wise, even overclocked. I'm just now on my first full charge so can't comment on battery life, but if it's actually worse than the Droid that's pretty bad. I'm hoping seidio's extended battery back cover will flush with the camera. I hate how it sticks out. I find Sense UI to be a bit more polished than the "Google experience" overall. If you're on the fence about Sense, I would say jump in, the water's fine. On the homescreen, it really feels more like a custom launcher and custom widgets than something drastically different from stock android. It's underneath that the nice touches come out, like being able to sync only my exchange contacts and calendar and NOT my email (I get a ton of junk mail from all the different parts of my company). So far, I love every aspect of this phone over the Droid. The only people who should get a Droid now are the ones who want the physical keyboard.

cuskit

Reaction score
Okay, getting more and more convinced to move my Droid over to my wife and take her upgrade for the Incredible. Now, gotta read twenty more threads to confuse me.. ;)

One says yea, the next say nay. Though it appears the Incredible is winning the war. :) mikey

metalmenance

Reaction score
I will say in my eyes it does everything the droid does (no pun intended) plus the htc widgets and all is a very cool addon for me, makes it lots more personal touch
The camera is FAST! and sweet, takes great pics, I hate having a reg camera with me and this camera blows away my moto droid
I never use the hard keyboard so that is not an issue for me at all
Speed is very nice, never lagged on me flopping all around.
Overall I am very happy with it and I see that some have already begun the rooting process so doing that will make this Inc. blow the moto droid away I believe.
my moto droid was rooted, custom rom clocked at 1.2ghz and I dont think it felt any faster than new Incredible
Very nice, very fast, very smooth, very customizable out the box
I am happy.......

bcrigler

Reaction score
I had a stock Moto Droid and actually was very happy with it. The only trouble I had was call quality which was fixed with a vocoder setting and the physical keyboard was not good. It also would open the keyboard while in my pocket. Otherwise I loved the moto droid. I only had it for 30 days. My 30th day was the last day of my exchange policy which happened to be yesterday the release day of the Incredible. I decided to go with the Incredible because I never used the physical keyboard and a lot of the updates on the incredible were things that I wanted. I also wanted more of an iphone esque phone which this definitely is. I love the phone so far and zero issues. It was an easy conversion from the moto droid. I agree with all the positive incredible reviews!