Free Calls

Englishteacher79

Reaction score
So, I used my google voice and just realized it eats up minutes.
I used to be on the 900 minute plan before buying a droid x, but with the data plan, it is getting very expensive. Therefore, I switched to the 450 talk and text plan with unlimited data.

Is there any way to make free calls through my phone that does not eat up my minutes?

Ag3nt X

Reaction score
I used to be on the 900 minute plan before buying a droid x, but with the data plan, it is getting very expensive. Therefore, I switched to the 450 talk and text plan with unlimited data.

Is there any way to make free calls through my phone that does not eat up my minutes?

You get what you pay for.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, there was a way at one time but there isn't anymore.

I have the 450 minute plan. What I do is make any phone calls from home with the Gmail phone. I have no other phone then my D2 so it's a great way to cut down on minutes. It does require a computer and a microphone.

subwayhello

Reaction score

from my understanding you need a android phone and a friends and family type plan... here are two solutions 1 in blue the other in green.

"GV is so simple to set up and you don't need to add a bunch of numbers to your F&F haha...

1] Your incoming settings in Google Voice should say to show your Google Voice number for caller ID, and if you want to know who's calling select announce caller before answering option

2] Outgoing, just dial your Google Voice number, hit option 2 and dial the number. This way your not going through some access code, your dialing out with your GV number. That's annoying to do for every call right? Well download gvmynumber - Project Hosting on Google Code , install it on your phone and it'll do it for you

3] Add your Google Voice number to your F&F. THat's it. No need to add access codes, no need to change codes every time you travel somewhere, no need to worry about minutes.

You will have unlimited outbound and inbound using this method."

1. Set up a google voice account (http://www.google.com/voice)
-it will assign you a free local number
-set Google Voice to forward all calls to your normal Verizon provided number.

2. Download and install Google Voice Callback from the Android market.

3. Add your new Google Voice number to your Friends and Family list.

4. Run the Google Voice Callback app and set it to use your Google Voice number for both incoming and outgoing calls and to auto answer the callback.

Now when people call your google voice number it will automatically forward the call to your cell phone and because it is set as a friends and family number it is free.

Your outgoing calls will also now dial your google voice number first and use google voice to make the connection and then call you back.

The only difference I ever notice is that to place a outgoing call it takes maybe 10 seconds as opposed to the few seconds to connect to a number normally.

liferefugee

Reaction score
Use sipdroid as a voip, it works on 3g as well as wifi. Set google voice to send to your sipdroid number. Use gvoice to intercept your outgoing calls and route to google voice. Now you have real voip for your outgoing. Forward your vz bumber to your google voice number to handle incoming calls.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

CD95YJ

Reaction score
What home phone service do you have? If you have vonage you can DL the vonage app and make your phone a mobile vonage phone accessing your account through your data (3g or wifi) without having to have voice minutes. Unfortunately not having a data plan limits you to wifi only because I don't believe VZW or any other carrier for that matter offers a data only plan on phones (I might be wrong and they do...)

y0manda

Reaction score
Sipdroid works on 3g? That's news to me. tell us how you did it please.

csimo

Reaction score

If you have Friends and Family on your plan then add your Google Voice number to Friends and Family then download and install the following app:
GVMyNumber.apk - gvmynumber - GVMyNumber - Project Hosting on Google Code

Works great and you won't be charged for minutes.

-Joe

Redman479

Reaction score
I can't get this to work! Keep getting a Verizon message saying they can't complete the call.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

csimo

Reaction score
I can't get this to work! Keep getting a Verizon message saying they can't complete the call.

In GVMyNumber you need to go into the settings and put in your GV number. Once you do that it should work fine.

Redman479

Reaction score
I did that but as soon as I try to dial a number the Verizon meade come up b4 it even dials.

Redman479

Reaction score
Had anyone else got this to work? Can get it to work by dialing my google number then the number but not by using gvnumber .

csimo

Reaction score
Had anyone else got this to work? Can get it to work by dialing my google number then the number but not by using gvnumber .

I have it working fine on a Droid 1, and Droid X (the Droid 1 has the proximity sensor problem and you have to hold the phone away from you during the call process as indicated in the app instructions, but the X works fine). I've set it up on three other Android phones without any problems.

In the GVMyNumberApp go to Settings.
Google Voice Number is your Google Voice Number. Simple.
Assuming you don't have a PIN on your Google Voice account leave that blank.
Under Pause After Initial Dial try setting it to 6 seconds to start to make sure all is safe.

Assuming you set it up to ask if you wanted to use GV on a call then when you dial a number it will ask if you want to use Google Voice or not.

Works great for me.

Mont

Reaction score
If you have Friends and Family on your plan then add your Google Voice number to Friends and Family then download and install the following app:
GVMyNumber.apk - gvmynumber - GVMyNumber - Project Hosting on Google Code

-Joe

There not on the app no more on the markert or it never was I have to change the settings to download from that link.

I got my Google voice number on my F & F but now I want it incoming calls for people to call my number and not my GV number but still use the GV service

Will that GVmynumber work for that, or should I use the Sipdroid another had mentioned. Confused because any forwarding of my number will still go against my minutes