(([[{{Free calls with VoIP using GV and Sipdroid only-1/27/11))]]}}

PrinceNubian

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I have been researching this and trying to make it work ever since i went over almost 100 minutes on my 450 minute plan. Like most, I initially thought that having google voice(GV) would allow me to make phone calls without using my monthly minutes. GV allows u to use there SMS (text) service free of charge although they don't support MMS(texting pictures etc.) only.

I researched Gizmo5, sipgate, GVmynumber, GVcallback along with other combinations.

I now have unlimited calling with a 450 minute plan by utilizing my google voice(GV) number setup and a sipdroid account only. Let me preface this by saying a few things. As of now this is working fine; it did take me a few hours to work out the kinks b/4 it was working to my likings; I am by no means any more advanced at this stuff than the average member of this forum.

Major steps and hangup as follows.

1) If u don't have a GV account get one, i am not gonna go into much detail on this.

2) D/L the latest apk for sipdroid at sipdroid.org using your android device tablet or phone. The latest apk from sipdroid has integrated pboxes. Google it if u want to know more about that is but its not necessary just get it.

3) When u open the sip apk, there is grey bar at the bottom that says something about the pboxes. This is actually a button that you must press to enter GV, gmai,l or sipdroid info in order to get them working together.

Once you get the sipdroid registered then it is all tweaking the GV settings from a browser to make sure that GV number is forwarded to both ur cell phone and to google chat.

At some point u'll see a green light in your notification bar to let u know that u are well on ur way.

Let me know if u have any issues and i'll try to assist.

Let me just let u know that this does work and i'll also let u know if i run into any issues.

Good Luck

Prince

Last edited:

vvarrior

Reaction score
Found a Kink

I have my Google Voice number as my business line. I also have my voicemail (business) setup on my Google Voice. I installed sipdroid (and pbxes.org) and successfully set it up. I am able to make calls and receive calls through VOIP. I have both my Google Talk and Personal Cell number in the phone numbers and have them both checked to receive the forwarded call.

Kink: When I don't have network connection, it forwards to my cell and my personal voicemail picks up. If no network connection is available for sipdroid, I want it to dial my personal cell, but have my business voicemail answer if the call isn't answered.

I'd like to uncheck my personal cell number in Google Voice, and enable some type of forwarding at pbxes.org if no network connection exists. I'm not sure if that's even possible.

vvarrior

Reaction score
**Actually**
I take that back. If a network connection is unavailable, it forwards directly to my personal cell phone, but if I don't answer it, it goes to the Google Voice voicemail. If I hit ignore, it goes to my personal Verizon voicemail. Everything is as it should be.

OP
P

PrinceNubian

Reaction score
Update

As I find out more about this I will add to this post. Seems as if there is a lot
of misinformation about VoIP and what is the minimum necessary to make it
work so I wanted to make sure that I had a working connection b/4 i started
a post.

Call quality for sipdroid is suprisingly good. Better quality than my 3G and almost
sounds as if u r on a landline. Will figure out how to get sip to read my contact
list or input my contacts into sips database. If anyone knows, hook a brutha
up. I'll let u know of my progress.

Prince

SeanRinVA

Reaction score
Once you get the sipdroid registered then it is all tweaking the GV settings from a browser to make sure that GV number is forwarded to both ur cell phone and to google chat.

At some point u'll see a green light in your notification bar to let u know that u are well on ur way.

Prince

What are the GV tweaks that you did?

Do people call you on your GV number or on your cell number?

MaelstromOC

Reaction score
I recently set my phone up this way as well using the tutorial that was posted over on the droidx forums. It took me a little while to get it figured out because I had an issue with pbxes and my google account, but once I figured it out I was gold.

Here's a link to the thread I followed. It's working beautifully now and sipdroid is really well integrated :) I setup sipdroid to use "phone" and I can make a normal call by dialing or using my contact list through my real Verizon number OR I can call over sipdroid by adding a + to the end of the number (uses data connection only AS LONG AS YOU MAKE SURE TO UNCHECK YOUR CELL NUMBER IN YOUR GOOGLE VOICE ACCOUNT SETTINGS!!!)

Works beautifully :) the only complaint so far has been that some people tell me they hear a faint echo of themselves when they speak :(

Edit: Forgot the link... http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-apps/15366-sipdroid-free-voip-via-google-voice.html

Last edited:

gobbles23

Reaction score
I keep getting "call cannot be completed as dialed. Please try again. I tried over wifi and 3g. Any suggestions?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

MaelstromOC

Reaction score
I had that problem initially as well. You have to make sure that in your pbxes account, your google voice login information is correct under the "trunks" option on the left of the page at their website (pbxes.com) and that you have your cell phone number listed under your google voice account (but turn off [uncheck your phone] the forwarding option to ensure data calls.)

gobbles23

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I got it figured out and I think I will have to disable sipdroid until I need it. Since I use juice defender it cuts off my data when the phone is asleep and I get a blinking red light saying I am not registered. It is annoying. Also do I have to check that box again to forward gv to my mobile again until I use sipdroid?

MaelstromOC

Reaction score
If you want GV to forward all calls to your GV number to your cell number then yes, you'll have to check your phone in GV. I only used my GV number before for receiving texts so I had it unchecked anyway :)

Glad you got it working! Also, your phone should automatically register itself once your data is turned back on, but it could be a drain being as it will constantly try to register if you don't stop the program from running.

stormcastle

Reaction score
international calls?

Will SIP/VoIP work for international calls without roaming charges from the carrier?

VZ4G3NT

Reaction score
Data roaming applies if you're not on wifi.

Wefler

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I have been researching this and trying to make it work ever since i went over almost 100 minutes on my 450 minute plan. Like most, I initially thought that having google voice(GV) would allow me to make phone calls without using my monthly minutes. GV allows u to use there SMS (text) service free of charge although they don't support MMS(texting pictures etc.) only.

I researched Gizmo5, sipgate, GVmynumber, GVcallback along with other combinations.

I now have unlimited calling with a 450 minute plan by utilizing my google voice(GV) number setup and a sipdroid account only. Let me preface this by saying a few things. As of now this is working fine; it did take me a few hours to work out the kinks b/4 it was working to my likings; I am by no means any more advanced at this stuff than the average member of this forum.

Major steps and hangup as follows.

1) If u don't have a GV account get one, i am not gonna go into much detail on this.

2) D/L the latest apk for sipdroid at sipdroid.org using your android device tablet or phone. The latest apk from sipdroid has integrated pboxes. Google it if u want to know more about that is but its not necessary just get it.

3) When u open the sip apk, there is grey bar at the bottom that says something about the pboxes. This is actually a button that you must press to enter GV, gmai,l or sipdroid info in order to get them working together.

Let me know if u have any issues and i'll try to assist.

Let me just let u know that this does work and i'll also let u know if i run into any issues.

Good Luck

Prince

Guys the key to the FREE MINUTES is using "Google Voice Callback"

it is pretty self explanatory when you go in to set it up but you MUST have friends and family set up to get "Free Minutes"

What to do:
1) Have a google voice number www.google.com/voice

2) Download "google voice callback" app is in the market for free and is made by xinlu. The icon is a while bubble with a blue phone icon and a green check.

3) Open this and go into the settings menu to set it up. I suggest using the feature "ask every time I call." that way you can always pick and choose to use this or use minutes.

(Remember if you have verizon and you are calling to verizon, just use a normal call because those calls are free)

****** THE KEY STEP HERE IS NOW YOU NEED TO ADD YOUR GOOGLE VOICE NUMBER TO YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY*******

If you have a 450 minute plan I don't believe you get friends and family. You decide if its worth it.

After you have google voice callback set up on your phone you will basically make a call like normal, and then it will ask "normal call" or "google voice callback"

when you select google voice callback your phone will call you FROM your google voice number and then when you answer it will call the other person.

Basically GVC works like an operator that connects the two parties together.

Have fun
PM or msg back with questions, comments, or concerns.

-d