Freaking out about Jellybean and losing Foxfi!

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
It mentions a data restriction free foxfi version but doesnt say what it is. Anybody know. I don't use much data but need to connect for 2 hours at a time without constantly reconnecting. I'd pay vzw if i wanted to pay.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Data restriction means it'll work for a short time then shut down, then you have to reboot the app. Annoying, to a point where they hope you'll buy the full version.

"stroped" of my razr maxx, poo.

recDNA

Reaction score
That makes it useless for my needs. Oh well.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
From what I gathered from people it's like 15 minutes then the next cycle is shorter yet. And keeps getting shorter. You can always root and change the "magic" number.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

steve9830

Reaction score
Since JB I only had PDA+ installed, but only the USB part of PDANet+ would work. When I installed today's newly released v4.13.2 and launched the program I noticed a message on the main program screen that said there was an update to FoxFi. So I installed it, the FoxFi key, and the FoxFi add on. (All are listed on Google Play.) I don't know if all of that is needed or not. If not they can always be uninstalled. The important thing is PDSNet+ now works with JB on several phones including the RAZR Max, which means you get a WiFi hotspot without a monthly $20 charge and WITHOUT rooting your phone (though rooting is a good option too and let's you do much more with your phone, but with some risk). The free version of PDSNet+ should be tried first to see if works for you.

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
I have fox Fi installed, why do I have two WiFi icons up top, one blue and one white box with black WiFi symbol?

We are the Droid!!
You will be assimilated!!
Resistance is futile!!

recDNA

Reaction score
Since JB I only had PDA+ installed, but only the USB part of PDANet+ would work. When I installed today's newly released v4.13.2 and launched the program I noticed a message on the main program screen that said there was an update to FoxFi. So I installed it, the FoxFi key, and the FoxFi add on. (All are listed on Google Play.) I don't know if all of that is needed or not. If not they can always be uninstalled. The important thing is PDSNet+ now works with JB on several phones including the RAZR Max, which means you get a WiFi hotspot without a monthly $20 charge and WITHOUT rooting your phone (though rooting is a good option too and let's you do much more with your phone, but with some risk). The free version of PDSNet+ should be tried first to see if works for you.

What is the advantage of pdsnet over foxfi if both are free?

StanH

Reaction score
According to this, it looks like it supports wifi now as well as USB and BT for the Droids Razr, Razr Maxx and Maxx HD.
With my Droid Razr Maxx HD:
I updated my paid version of PdaNet+ v4.01.6 and FoxFi v2.12.2 and set the pattern lock. I assume that the lock is part of the scheme to keep Verizon from blocking. It defaulted to invoke 5 second after sleep.

TEST:
1) Starting with the FoxFi icon activates WiFi after displaying the message "Checking subscriptions status ...". Then it says WiFi is on.

2) Starting with the FoxFi Key icon brings up the FoxFi screen. Checking to start brings up the message "Checking subscriptions status ...". Then it says WiFi is on.

3) PdaNet displays the message "please update FoxFi to the latest Version to support WiFi mode on this phone. {OK}". Then "Activation failed".

4) Repeating the test produced different results:
Starting with either the FoxFi or FoxFi Key icons produced this: "Fail to activate hotspot: fail to enable Hotspot. Your phone is not yet supported by FoxFi."

5) Upon shutdown/restart of the phone, the results are the same as (1), (2), and (3) -- except the first connection required {OK} fpr setting a VPN connection.

I have not yet tested whether the WiFi can be seen from another device, or whether the WiFi ability fails or retry and requires a phone reboot as in (4).

recDNA

Reaction score
so pdanet doesn't work at all?

StanH

Reaction score
When I installed today's newly released v4.13.2
I just now noticed that your v4.13.2 differs from my PdaNet+ v4.01.6 so I went to Google Play and it updated to v4.12.1. This version does not have a check-box for launch of a WiFi hotspot. However, the FoxFi icon still creates a hotspot.

I wonder if the program is being changed as we speak!

steve9830

Reaction score
My mistake; I have v 4.12.1 installed.
PDANet+ requires the updated FoxFi for the hotspot to work correctly. Everyone should go to Google Play and read the entire description associated with the PDANet program.

recDNA

Reaction score
My mistake; I have v 4.12.1 installed.
PDANet+ requires the updated FoxFi for the hotspot to work correctly. Everyone should go to Google Play and read the entire description associated with the PDANet program.

I have yet to hear of a positive, fully working test of either app. I'll read about them after multiple successful reports.

ms4teacher

Reaction score
I have yet to hear of a positive, fully working test of either app. I'll read about them after multiple successful reports.

Working on my razr maxx with JB!! Downloaded the free version and was able to connect my iPad 2 without a hitch.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

SallyC

Reaction score
So for those of you who have it working, I have three questions:
  1. Do you have all three programs (FoxFi, PdaNet+ and the key) installed?
  2. Which program do you start if you want to use a wifi hotspot?
  3. Do you need to use the pattern lock for it to work with Verizon?
Thanks.

karlo2012

Reaction score
works for me..could be the update from yesterday

I've got the full version of FoxFi. I used FoxFi earlier this year before JB & it worked fine. I was browsing the forums & heard some complaints that it doesn't work on JB. So I tried it & came to the screen that asks you to name a certificate..well I changed the name from Foxfi to something else in case Verizon could see it; just being careful but I don't think it matters if you change it. then I clicked install to install the certificate..didn't work b/c it said I needed to have a lockscreen like a password or pattern. So re-enabled my pattern lockscreen & tried to start it again & it worked. I used my Ipad to connect to it to make sure it was really working & it was. I think I remember seeing FoxFi download updates yesterday so that could have something to do with it. I tried PdaNet last year after FoxFi started charging but it didn't work for me. I've got the Foxfi key also but you only need to click the Foxfi app, not the key for it to open. Just seems like a bunch of unnecessary hoops to go through but at least it works..I just wish it was still free but I'd rather pay less than 10 bucks a year than 40 or 50 bucks a month for hotspot.