FoxFi alternative

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
So FoxFi has gone and effed it up with usage limits. Does anyone know of an alternative to FoxFi. One that is free, and works for WiFi?
I also understand that FoxFi will quit working when we finally get the JB update. So that is another reason i am looking for a substitute hotspot.

OP
DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
So am I to assume that there is no alternative? Its FoxFi or bust unless i root?

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Speaking of assumptions, can I safely assume that you paid $150 or more for a device, then turn around and don't want to spend $7 for an app that really works well.  I'm at work right now where the provided wifi is sketchy at best.  Rocking FoxFi as I type this.  Just think of the things that you may blow $7 or more on over the course of a week or two, and if you find that using your device as a hot spot is desired or necessary, you'll find it's worth the nominal "one time" fee.

YMMV

OP
DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
Thanks for your witty response. If one could guarantee that this will work once JB hits the GS3 on Verizon, I would be happy to pay the $7, but since you cant guarantee this, and the description states that i currently doesn't work with JB, i don't want to spend the money only to soon lose the service. I don't know when we will get JB. Could be a week, could be two months. I just need something to get me through until JB hits, and then I can make a more informed decision. If there are no alternative, I will USB tether to PDANet, which i paid for two years ago, but I was hoping that this forum and it s wonderful members might have a recommendation. And I don't blow money on reckless things. I am a single Dad with two kids who expect a wonderful Christmas. I look for the most value in every dollar I spend. Thanks for contributing.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Hi.. I'd just like to say I'm currently using foxfi on the Note 2 with verizon which is running JB 4.1.1...... Hopefully it will work with S3 as I would think it should... Nothing wrong at all with checking all your options.. Every $$ counts especially now a days..

《Take Note2 BK's here..》

jwilly216

Reaction score
To answer your question, I have been using pda net because there doesn't seem to be an acceptable replacement for Fox fi. They really screwed us by doing this with absolutely no warning

Superlete

Reaction score
Hey gang, new to posting...so I should probably start this seperate, but whatever. But my Foxfi no longer works!! I had a droidX, now I have droid Razr M and all of a sudden it doesn;t work! gives me an error message saying currenly wifi mode does not work on android 4.1 or above. Please try blue tooth mode, or install pda net app, etc...It works on androids 4.1 so I know thats BS! Any help?? I have tried removing the app, installing it again, even paid the $7 for the full version, downloaded the foxfi add on as well...still get that same damn error message. Any thoughts...

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
If you Google search for foxfi 1.91 you can download a free version that doesn't have any limits.

OP
DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
If you Google search for foxfi 1.91 you can download a free version that doesn't have any limits.
I think i actually had that one, but over the weekend FoxFi quit supporting it, and I got errror messages telling me that i needed to update to 1.95(i think) It worked on Wednesday, but didn't on Saturday.

ecbranch5

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me so I found a free app called Easy tether. It does have advertisements but it does work on my SG3. Hope that helps.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Yep, I purposefully did not upgrade to the newer version so I could keep the old, unlimited version, but Foxfi disabled it and forced an update in order to continue use.

jwilly216

Reaction score
ecbranch5 said:
I had the same thing happen to me so I found a free app called Easy tether. It does have advertisements but it does work on my SG3. Hope that helps.

Unfortunately this app only works via usb connection. There doesn't seem to be any wireless ones like foxfi

Wopback

Reaction score
I still use the old version and it works great. I'm hoping after Jelly Bean, I will still be able to.

Natey2

Reaction score
Yep, I purposefully did not upgrade to the newer version so I could keep the old, unlimited version, but Foxfi disabled it and forced an update in order to continue use.

I just checked, and my FoxFi v1.91.2 quit working too :(
Thanks for letting me know before I really needed to use it.

Wopback

Reaction score
I just checked, and my FoxFi v1.91.2 quit working too :(
Thanks for letting me know before I really needed to use it.

Considering I posted the old version and 2 weeks later got it removed. I'm hoping this next move doesn't get me in trouble:

Go to the old version, clear data, open the app, click on hash code and enter 1234.

This is for the FREE version. Not the paid!