Forget the bionic I'm waiting for the Targa

brooklyn2410

Reaction score
The bionic is definitely taking way too long to come out and the fact that it hasn't been seen "in the wild" since CES clearly proves that it is having problems. Even if the DB comes out sometime in may (optimistically speaking) with all the so called problems its been having (although they are all rumors) I just don't think its a smart choice. I'm still going with my D1 and I think I'm just going to buy a used droid x and hold that until the targa comes out. A 1.5 GHz dual core OMAP processor on a 4.3" qHD screen running on gingerblur( which is really fast, esp when it comes to motoblur) sounds like my dream phone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd say that planning on the Targa at this stage of the game is a sound idea.

tcayton49

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with waiting for the Targa if you think its gona be a better phone than what the bionic is supposed to be. But as far as it taking too long to come out-It was announced at CES that it would be released Q2 of this year. we're only 2 and a half weeks into Q2, I think some people are forgetting that. As far as any problems, remeber, they are just rumors. What if there was a rumor tomorrow that the bionic was going to be able to turn straw into gold? I say hold on until there is something official and stop relying on rumors to decide what phone to get.

And I think I might just go from forum to forum starting that straw into gold rumor. Sounds fun.

EFGantry

Reaction score
it may very well turn out that the Bionic gets released in the next couple of months, and is fine. BUT, for my money, it's just too risky of a device. if i'm gonna drop several hundred bucks on a device, and be stuck with it for 2 years with a $200/month bill, i'm not gonna get a device that may turn out to be ok. for my money, i'm gonna wait.

Drosul

Reaction score
My theory on the targa:

If the Bionic comes out decently bug free before July I'm getting Bionic.

If Targa comes before the end of July (replacing etna), and before Tiered Data then I'll wait for Targa

If Tiered data comes before any decent (as in current tech, not last years tech) phone, I'll bite the bullet and get the Tbolt

If the Galaxy 2, actually comes to Verizon, comes out before Targa, the Bionic doesn't come out, and it beats the tiered data plans, I'll get that.. Despite hating the amoled screen's look, and Samsung's laughable post sale product support.

I doubt I'm the only "Bionic holdout" who's main priority is grandfathering unlimited 4g. The complications arise in that my 2nd priority is getting a top tier technology phone, and my apprehension towards LG and Samsung products.

teg94

Reaction score
Wow... I love how people jump to conclusions about rumors and internet b.s. Nobody at Verizon or Motorola has given a release date other than Q2, EVERYTHING else is pure speculation and internet rumor. Yes I know people who claim to be credible have said certain things, but until it's backed up with evidence why do people believe this stuff? I know we've all been waiting for this device and salivating over it since we first saw it at CES, but really, use some logic and don't believe every conspiracy theory you come across.

Drosul

Reaction score
Wow... I love how people jump to conclusions about rumors and internet b.s. Nobody at Verizon or Motorola has given a release date other than Q2, EVERYTHING else is pure speculation and internet rumor. Yes I know people who claim to be credible have said certain things, but until it's backed up with evidence why do people believe this stuff? I know we've all been waiting for this device and salivating over it since we first saw it at CES, but really, use some logic and don't believe every conspiracy theory you come across.

A thing to consider is that even if it was released today, would you really jump on the chance to buy a first generation version of it, considering all the rumors of problems? I know I'd personally continue holding out on my much hated BB-Storm, until I saw reports of how the first batch where doing in the hands of consumers. No one wants to get stuck with a lemon..

Even Moto and Verizon have to be smart enough to know that it doesn't matter if the rumors are true or not at this point. Every single tech/phone blog is parroting the info about the Bionic having problems, and there are ALOT of potential customers who are going to have product confidence issues going into a potential release. Lack of consumer confidence is more than enough to put a hurting on the companies bottom line.

EFGantry

Reaction score
teg94, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. but for me, there have been quite a few people, with a demonstrated history of reliability, who have been saying for quite some time that the Bionic is plagued with problems. maybe Moto and VZW get the phone in great working order by release. all i'm saying is that it makes me leery, and it isn't worth the risk for me...

ThaBlasian

Reaction score

i agree with this......i'm not questioning how reliable someones information is, but after all this is the internet. i don't know, i just can't believe that the bionic is scrapped, until i see an official announcement from either the manufacturer (motorola) or VZW themselves. its hard for me to get all hyped up about some rumor when the BIONIC is still on moto's website right there front and center.......at this point, all anybody can do as wait. How much longer is the question for me as my OG droid is really on its last leg at this point.......:motdroidvert:

teg94

Reaction score
Well just saw a tweet from the @DroidBionic: The Motorola Droid Bionic has NOT been cancelled. Tune in here for future updates on the Bionic.

So maybe all the rumors and conspiracy theories are wrong after all... Whod'a thunk it? The Internet having wrong information?

I say this with the realization that whatever comes from twitter could be completely wrong too, so go ahead and spin whatever conspiracy theories you like.

Oxn

Reaction score
Well just saw a tweet from the @DroidBionic: The Motorola Droid Bionic has NOT been cancelled. Tune in here for future updates on the Bionic.

So maybe all the rumors and conspiracy theories are wrong after all... Whod'a thunk it? The Internet having wrong information?

I say this with the realization that whatever comes from twitter could be completely wrong too, so go ahead and spin whatever conspiracy theories you like.

Thats not an official motorola twitter account. Motorola has never made a twitter account for any of their specific phones.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
When you've been following some of these insiders for a long time you begin to believe what they tell you. Personally, I do. So even if the Bionic is released, I'll pass. As for locking into unlimited 4g, I'm not too concerned about that. The speeds I get on my Wifi are fine so the only time I'll use LTE is if I'm not at home. Plus, no one really knows if the tiers will be worse and for all we know they could make you switch to the tiers when you get a new phone. There's too many ifs for me to lock into outdated hardware just for unlimited data which I don't use much of anyway.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
B

brooklyn2410

Reaction score
But we are in Q2 and yet we have no idea when the bionic is coming out we haven't even seen aanything on it since CES. I mean cmon people there has to be reason why we know absolutely nothing about its release when we are already in the time frame they told us at CES.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

leonozug

Reaction score
This may be a little off topic, but let me tell you guys, one really negative thing with the way Verizon has been dealing with it's Android phone releases is it's alienating a lot of people with all the pushed back release dates and what not. My good friend, who's had a Droid since it came out, just told me the other day he's going with the iphone 5 when it comes out. I asked him if he was serious and told him he was nuts, but he came back with the fact that he's tired of the all the B.S. of waitng for the next best thing to come out and waiting to see what phone will be better. He said he's over it, and will just get the iphone 5 and be done with it and get a new iphone every two years. I can understand his point totally, cause unlike me, he doesn't root and rom like I do, so he just wants something that works. He wanted the Thunderbolt but it kept getting pushed back, then finally got it, and the battery life was terrible for him, and he returned it to get his Droid back. Not the greatest Android experience, and it probably steered him even more towards apple. He also expressed he wanted the Bionic when it was announced. but look now how it's supposedly been scrapped. Frustrating really. I really can't blame him honestly.

Me personally, I'd never buy an iphone, I loathe apple and hate everything they stand for. But it's sad seeing lots of people go over to apple, and it's happening now that Verizon has the iphone, and especially with the way the new android phones are being(or not being)released.

Another thing that's ridiculous is the how people on here are constantly having fights over who's android phone is better. It's childish and stupid. The way I see it, if you're rocking any Android phone, and it's not an Apple product, then cool, we're all on the same team. Let's not divide anymore than Apple is hoping we will. Steve Jobs probably loves the fact Android is fragmenting, it only makes his product look better.

As far as the question of what phone to get next, me personally, I'm going to check out the X2, and if it doesn't impess me, I'll wait for the Targa. It depends on how much I can get it for retail, cause I hate being stuck with a phone for two years.