For your next phone, will you be getting one with a hardware keyboard?

jrocketdroid

Reaction score
^ I'm with C3-PO...I thought it would be a necessity, but I rarely use it anymore. Part of my annoyance is the lack of a dedicated numbers row, it needs redesigning - along the lines of the keyboard for the Devour (as in the dedicated number keys) and the D-pad could have been put on the left not the right side. Alas...it's the only thing I don't love about my Droid.

Spartan

Reaction score
I had a BB 8703e very good keyboard, went to the Storm1... lousy touch screen. Switched to the Droid partially because of wanting a physical keyboard option again. I don't use it all the time, but there are times I prefer one. I probably will always choose a phone with a physical keyboard if available in the platform I prefer. I wouldn't even mind a slightly thicker Droid if it gave me a better keyboard experience like the BB. Then it would be perfect for me.

OP
G

gatorbait

Reaction score
I hate physical keyboards but I love this phone so much it was a no brain decision for me. If they every offer a droid without one, I'm on it.

I got 2 words for this: Nexus One

One of the major things preventing me from considering upgrading to a Nexus One at this time is the fact that it has a smaller screen resolution. I really appreciate the fact that the Droid's resolution is true widescreen.

qoncept

Reaction score
One of the major things preventing me from considering upgrading to a Nexus One at this time is the fact that it has a smaller screen resolution. I really appreciate the fact that the Droid's resolution is true widescreen.
Wow, really? I can't imagine such a negligable difference in resolution being such a major factor. The ONLY factors for me are the fact that I already have a Droid and that T-Mobile's coverage is a joke.

OP
G

gatorbait

Reaction score
Wow, really? I can't imagine such a negligable difference in resolution being such a major factor. The ONLY factors for me are the fact that I already have a Droid and that T-Mobile's coverage is a joke.

If I got the Nexus One, I wouldn't get it until it was available on Verizon, so the carrier is irrelevant to me.

To me, the Droid and Nexus One are pretty similar at this point, with the big difference being that one is a slider. So when I say "major factor", I really mean the key points that stand out to me that justify either trading for a Nexus One or keeping the Droid. The two big negatives that stand out to me for the Nexus One compared to the Droid are that it has a screen resolution that isn't true widescreen like the Droid's, and that the many people haven't been happy with the responsiveness of the Nexus One's menu buttons.

Since moving between the Droid and Nexus One is close to a lateral move, those two negatives become major factors.

bacalao

Reaction score
Droid phys kb is my primary keyboard, but i do use swype for quick replies in portrait. Swype to me is a pain in landscape.
My next phone has to have Andriod OS, physical kb, and 4G. Maybe early next year or so.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was a die-hard physical keyboard user . . . Palm 650, HTC 6800. and the Droids physical keyboard was the main reason I got the Droid. But after having it for about 3 months now, I find that I never use the physical keyboard anymore.

I could have written the comment above. Once I installed Swype and then SlideIt, I find I have almost no use for the physical keyboard, at all.

cinque

Reaction score
Really the weight of the phone not a consideration if they add in features... if they add weight because of sloppy build than I get it I don't want it.

mjs31

Reaction score
As with many on these forums, the Droid is my first smartphone. Considering it is the best smartphone on Verizon, I didn't have to worry about comparing it with other phones based on aesthetics. However, once the next round of Android phones hits Verizon, I may potentially upgrade at the end of the year.

The one idea I'm battling with is whether or not I want a hardware keyboard on my next phone. Honestly, I don't use the hardware keyboard often. I do find it useful when typing longer emails and navigating forms. And of course, I love it for emulators. But since I rarely use it, I wonder if I would be better off getting a phone with a slimmer profile and no hardware keyboard.

Anyone else find themselves wondering whether or not they want a hardware keyboard again when they upgrade phones?

Tough call on this one. I love my Droid and it is the first phone that still keeps me interested after several months.
I don't use my physical keyboard much so I could see going without as long as some key features are included. One being better copy and paste features on the virtual side of things.
It will be hard to stray from what works and that is the Droid. So as others have stated, the Droid II may be my next phone, physical keyboard or not.

cuskit

Reaction score
Myself - I'm 50/50 on the physical keyboard. If I have a lot or typing - that's my choice. I like that I get to see my entire screen this way. Many times logged into a website such as for banking, etc - it's nice to see more of the page while typing - big plus for the physical keyboard.

But, to be truthful - I sure have a lot less typos on the virtual keyboard! I've got big thumbs (don't go there) and it seems to affect the hard keys more so than the virtual. In landscape the virtual is much easier - but again - robs me of screen real estate.

No solid answer here... ;) mikey

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
yes, the hardware keyboard really does wonders for emulated games :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How can I possibly answer this question when I know I'm keeping my Droid for at least another year or longer? I don't know what will be out then.

Guchi

Reaction score
ya i like typing on it better than a virtual one

rusray

Reaction score
A few years ago I owned the first version of the Envy. I swore I would never again be without a physical keyboard. It is great to not have to look at your screen while you type.

Then came the Blackberry Storm. I thought this would be a good crossbridge between physical keyboard, and none as it had the click screen. It was a bit of a learning curve that I managed fairly easily. Then I found myself more upset with the OS than the keyboard.

Then came the Droid. I almost never use the physical keyboard in the Droid. I've realized that I value the quality of the software far far more than the keyboard you'll use to interact with it. I use swype, and have no desire, or need for a physical keyboard again.