For those of you who see the pixelation and have had the phone a while...

Cowpoke

Reaction score
I could see the pixels, and it bugged me. 2 weeks in and i don't notice them at all anymore except for the occasional small colored text that isn't real clear. (small black text is fine).

I like the phone more each day.

BlacknTan

Reaction score
I got my phone the day after it launched.

I upgraded from an OG droid, and I absolutely love this phone. Well worth the upgrade and the $250 price tag after my NE2 discount.

I knew all about the pentile screen going in, and TBH,while it did bother me at first, I don't even notice it now.

The performance in sunlight, and better battery life are good tradeoffs for the slight decrease in quality from the pentile screen, IMHO.

I can see why it would bother some people, especially people who are very sensitive to resolution. I use my phone primarily for work, navigation, and surfing the web. I only watch videos at the gym while I'm on the treadmill, and for that purpose, who cares about video quality?

Honestly I'm more irritated by the lack of a dedicated camera button than I am by the display. But really that's just a nit-pick. I'm very satisfied overall.

OP
A

AntsMarching81

Reaction score
Hi guys. Thanks for sharing your experiences. It's day two for me and I'm finding so many awesome things with this phone that I think I may be willing to overlook the screen quality. And to be fair - I don't even think the screen quality is poor. I'm just not used to the pentile qHD style and it just seems not as crisp as what I am used to. And I think I'm just caught in that trap of where when you try not to focus on something, it becomes the only thing you can focus on. I hope my eyes adjust to it and I can start to overlook it because this is a great phone otherwise.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Back to the topic, I am one that is VERY annoyed by the screen. I've had the phone for about 10 days now and it still annoys me. I would put it on a level of annoyance with a couple dead pixels on a computer screen. Of course a computer screen with a few dead pixels is completely usable but every time you see them it just upsets you. You think it should just be better.

I should point out that only a small portion of people are bothered by this screen, and out of everyone on these forums I seem to be among the most bothered (or maybe just the most vocal). As I use the phone it has become more tolerated but every time I notice the effect (which is often) I think of returning the phone and waiting for the Vigor or Prime. I'm still undecided as to whether I'm going to keep it, I have to see what people are saying about those phones.

I would also like to add that in no way is Liderc a troll. He's been very helpful on this forum to me and many others. Think twice before you call someone a troll, because that one comment is what took this entire thread off topic.

You can be a productive member of a forum and still troll threads. The OP was asking for bionic owner's opinion if they got used to the pentile. This dude, who I guess doesn't even own a bionic, comes in here talking about how inferior pentile is with what turned out to be a misleading source. Not to mention the snide tone, and if it wasn't intentional, then you should be aware it could pretty obviously be mistaken for a snide comment. Then I'm the one called out for "throwing off the thread" when really just you two had to carry it further. I can't be the only one who is confused by this. Lastly, I'm done. This is a good thread. Let's just drop it.

I also want to add that the pentile is mostly noticeable on brighter-still colors and nearly impossible to see on Netflix because movement is so rapid. So I think it's really easy to get used to unless you just sit and stare at your phone.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
images.jpg

Do not get the Bionic as the pentile screen will ruin your life and haunt all who look at it!

Graymayre

Reaction score
I only notice it when I pay too much attention to vertical and horizontal lines, like everything on the phone...like this keyboard...
But video is amazing, irregular images and motion are excellent. I can deal with the diagonal alignment as long as I don't look too close.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

JaBr1884

Reaction score
Just another Bionic owner's opinion; At first, I was pretty turned off by the pentile effects and I was very worried that it would continue to bother me. Like others have said so well, when a techie gets a new device with a screen or that creates images, he or she pixel hunts and critiques, but after a while they begin to use the device more than analyze it. Once that transition takes place, you are more affected by usability, which is what this screen was designed for. I can't honestly say from personal experience (I haven't used the other devices), but from what I've read on many forums, the general consensus is that the Bionic's screen performs way better in direct sunlight and draws less power for a given brightness than the competition. These are usability functions that are not as immediately noticeable, but should matter more to you in the end unless you honestly do not benefit from them. So, while the Bionic's screen is obviously inferior during the initial analysis, it is superior in usability. The exception is if you simply cannot let go of your initial impression which is, in my opinion, a flaw, much like the "pentile effects".

When much better phones are SO close to release, is it really worth accepting the shortcomings of this screen?

To this, I'd say inferior build quality, call reliability & clarity, battery life, or GPS reliability are far greater shortcomings than a screen effect that can and should be shadowed by its superior usability.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Just another Bionic owner's opinion; At first, I was pretty turned off by the pentile effects and I was very worried that it would continue to bother me. Like others have said so well, when a techie gets a new device with a screen or that creates images, he or she pixel hunts and critiques, but after a while they begin to use the device more than analyze it. Once that transition takes place, you are more affected by usability, which is what this screen was designed for. I can't honestly say from personal experience (I haven't used the other devices), but from what I've read on many forums, the general consensus is that the Bionic's screen performs way better in direct sunlight and draws less power for a given brightness than the competition. These are usability functions that are not as immediately noticeable, but should matter more to you in the end unless you honestly do not benefit from them. So, while the Bionic's screen is obviously inferior during the initial analysis, it is superior in usability. The exception is if you simply cannot let go of your initial impression which is, in my opinion, a flaw, much like the "pentile effects".

To this, I say inferior build quality, call reliability & clarity, battery life, or GPS reliability are far greater shortcomings than a screen effect that can and should be shadowed by its superior usability.

+1, outstanding analysis!

billyk

Reaction score
I mostly agree with the analysis above because it talks about looking at the Bionic (or any product), on-balance. But, I think words like "flaw" (def: "An imperfection, often concealed, that impairs soundness") only stokes the fires of debate here and elsewhere.

What if...
Moto was actually smart enough to consider the pros/cons of every display on the market? What if they fully knew that some people might perceive the pentile display as having "jaggies" under certain circumstances, but thought, geez, pentile offers natural colors, high contrast, low power usage and uniquely offers the ability to actually use the display in outdoor conditions? Moto might then be in the position as many of us - saying on-balance, pentile is a good way to go.

IMO, I don't think Samsung has a "flawed" display b/c you can hardly read it outside. It's just not a strength area and Samsung is fully aware of it - it's not a mistake/oversight/flaw on their behalf. Just think'in...

McGyver777

Reaction score
"Apple is the real enemy here"
+2
LOL!!

McGyver777

Reaction score
There is an app that makes a volume button a click for photos. Wonder if it works on bionic?

Don't have name sorry.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I mostly agree with the analysis above because it talks about looking at the Bionic (or any product), on-balance. But, I think words like "flaw" (def: "An imperfection, often concealed, that impairs soundness") only stokes the fires of debate here and elsewhere.

What if...
Moto was actually smart enough to consider the pros/cons of every display on the market? What if they fully knew that some people might perceive the pentile display as having "jaggies" under certain circumstances, but thought, geez, pentile offers natural colors, high contrast, low power usage and uniquely offers the ability to actually use the display in outdoor conditions? Moto might then be in the position as many of us - saying on-balance, pentile is a good way to go.

IMO, I don't think Samsung has a "flawed" display b/c you can hardly read it outside. It's just not a strength area and Samsung is fully aware of it - it's not a mistake/oversight/flaw on their behalf. Just think'in...

Good point on Moto's thinking. What if HTC went with the pentile on the Tbolt.. People may have been able to get more than 6 hours on a battery charge!