FM Transmitter

segen77

Reaction score
This is a bit off topic, but I don't have any kind of aux input, and taking the dash apart isn't an option. Are there any FM transmitters that work worth a darn, or are they all complete junk? I live in the Dallas area, so there's quite a few radio stations to compete with.

Thanks

Leckert123

Reaction score
I purchased the $39 Griffin iTrip to use for a recent trip for my portable DVD player as well as the Droid. It works pretty well.

More recently, I re-discovered that the Motorola T505 bluetooth speakerphone, which I already owned (in my wife's car, but she doesn't use it), has a built-in FM transmitter. I like using this better than the Griffin since there are no wires/plugs to connect. The Droid connects to it via Bluetooth as soon as the T505 is powered up. Then simply hit the FM button on the back of the T505, it announces the proper FM station and voila, you are listening to your Droid.

With the T505, I've actually streamed Slacker music wirelessly to the Droid over 3G, then via BlueTooth wirelessly to the speakerphone, then wirelessly via FM to the car stereo. It's pretty friggin' cool, actually to have 3 different wireless technologies working at the same time to deliver live Internet Radio to your car stereo.

R

racklefratz

This is a bit off topic, but I don't have any kind of aux input, and taking the dash apart isn't an option. Are there any FM transmitters that work worth a darn, or are they all complete junk? I live in the Dallas area, so there's quite a few radio stations to compete with.

IMO, you'd be very lucky to find any place on the FM band in a major metro area like Dallas to be able to make much use of one of those devices. FM signals are wide, and Dallas has a huge number of stations. I think it would wind up becoming an exercise in frustration for you.

They do work, and can work well, but only when there's some empty real estate on the dial. One other thing, if you do decide to give it a shot, and they're not all that expensive, watch out for the ones that don't let you tune across the entire FM band. There are a few that have pre-set frequencies, and that would limit your options a lot in the Dallas area.

jjb2

Reaction score
I also use the Griffin iTrip and it works great. It allows for you to use your micro usb cord to charge your phone. Don't spend $39 on it though because you can get it on Amazon for $9.99.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Universal-Transmitter-Charger-Players/dp/B000JV9NL2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260114480&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Griffin iTrip Universal FM Transmitter and Charger for MP3 Players: Electronics[/ame]

skidemn

Reaction score
Wired modulator...

I also use the Griffin iTrip and it works great. It allows for you to use your micro usb cord to charge your phone. Don't spend $39 on it though because you can get it on Amazon for $9.99.
Amazon.com: Griffin iTrip Universal FM Transmitter and Charger for MP3 Players: Electronics

I have yet to see a FM transmitter that actually works well. You will always find some strong station that overrides it while you drive, especially travelling longer distances. If you cannot get an aux input (you didn't mention your car so perhaps there is one out there of which you are not aware), then I'd recommend a wired FM modulator. A wired modulator cuts off the antenna input and only allows input from the modulator so strong stations don't override it. Also, you get much higher bandwidth so bass is still present and highs are not so rolled off (unless of course your FM tuner or stereo system do that automatically). Look around on ebay for some or if you can't find any just email me as I have a few surplus wired modulators I can part with very cheaply.

Leckert123

Reaction score
Not sure if it performs any differently, but this is the model iTrip that I actually have. I needed it the night before a trip so I picked it up at Target for a few bucks more. I do agree with the comment regarding large cities and a crowded radio band. I have lived in Chicago and these devices do work (I have an old analog one of these that worked "ok"). Finding the open space on the radio band can be more challenging in those places. Both the Griffin and Moto T505 automatically scan, which is helpful. That's what the large round button on the Griffin does.

With that in mind, it might actually be smarter to pick it up at Target (or wherever locally), in case you find it doesn't work well where you live. It's certainly less hassle to return it to a brick and mortar retail store.

Amazon.com: Griffin Itrip Auto Universal Plus Refresh FM transmitter and PowerJolt Auto Charging for Portable Audio Players: Electronics

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is a bit off topic, but I don't have any kind of aux input, and taking the dash apart isn't an option.
What make & model? You might have other options.

I don't recommend an FM transmitter unless you're certain you've exhausted all options. Even then, I'd recommend replacing the head unit before an FM transmitter. I've run across some decent FM transmitters but they're the rare exception.

Last edited:
OP
S

segen77

Reaction score
i need the ability to use in multiple vehicles so anything hardwired isn't an option.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
In my quest for docks, chargers, cases, covers...etc for my droid, I found For only $13.17 each when QTY 50+ purchased - FM Transmitter 7 in 1 w/remote for Apple Iphone Series | FM Transmitter

A rather inexpensive car holster, charger, and possibly a way to get music off my phone into my stereo as an added bonus. I may change my mind on that, not too sure, depending on what else I come across. The reviews don't seem too positive, but it is an FM transmitter, so it is one of those your miles may vary type situations.

JulieS13

Reaction score
I don't have an AUX Input in my car; I'm looking for an FM Transmitter that works well with the DX...I've tried several and so far they suck.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

imreddy

Reaction score
I tried the Jabra bluetooth speaker phone that has a FM transmitter
from Verizon to play music from my phone via blutooth and and it doesn't give me the same kick that I get from a CD. Let me know if there's a good one.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Reaction score
The monster one is pretty good. I used it last year.

--------------------------------------
So tell me Future Boy, who's President of The United States in 1985?

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm looking to find one that has the strongest signal strength allowed. I have a brand new car...unfortunately without an auxillary imput. I was going to put my old stereo system (well, not old, just in my last car) into the new one, but a wiring harness isn't made for it yet. Not a cheap one anyway. And I don't feel like spending $120 for a custom one to be made. The problem with me, is that where I live, just about every darn station I tune in on the stock radio brings in a decent signal. Trying to get the FM transmitter on ANY station is basically useless. I've tried several brands and none seem to work well. Belkin, Monster, iTrip (for my iPod) and two other I forget their names.
Guess I'm out of luck unless I want to spend the money for a custom harness. :(