playing audio in car

sharpz

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I was wondering if someone might had a good solution. I have a Ford F-150 (2005) and want to be able to play my music in my car. It has no cassette player but does have a CD Rom. It also has NO input selection like an AUX input.

Is there any other way I can get the music on my phone to play in my car. I know of the FM transmitter, but I live in Orlando and we have a ton of radio stations. I bought one before and it sounded like crap (although it was a cheaper one)..

If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

jordan

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OP
S

sharpz

Reaction score
Have you ever tried one of these?

Stevennickel

Reaction score
Alternative/ less digital solutions

Dig up that old cheap fm transmitter you said you tried, and put a simple on/off switch that breaks your antenna cable behind your truck's stereo. with that antenna power not on, you will be able to listen to your droid crystal clear.

Common sense would say replace the radio with one that has usb/3.5mm jacks on it as input, but wiring a simple switch to your antenna is not difficult at all either. Gives you that feeling of accomplishment too! :icon_ banana:

cjbear10

Reaction score
before you modify your truck too much to make that fm transmitter work, I suggest you simply temporarily unscrew the fm antenna. That will prove the best quick emulation of a best scenario for an fm transmitter in your area. Given you are in Orlando, I suspect that interference will still be too high for 'good' reception.

A better option would be a replacement radio with aux input or direct digital adapter for your factory radio. Here's a link to the most reputable manufacturer on amazon: Amazon.com: pie audio adapter 2005 f150

Consider this a personal recommendation for these auxiliary devices. I've abandoned sat radio in favor of Slacker via direct digital input using one of these adapters -- albeit in a different vehicle.

YMMV,
Bear

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if someone might had a good solution. I have a Ford F-150 (2005) and want to be able to play my music in my car. It has no cassette player but does have a CD Rom. It also has NO input selection like an AUX input.

Is there any other way I can get the music on my phone to play in my car. I know of the FM transmitter, but I live in Orlando and we have a ton of radio stations. I bought one before and it sounded like crap (although it was a cheaper one)..

jordan

OP
S

sharpz

Reaction score
how exactly do you install them? I'm actually quite good with radios. I have installed double din/flip out screens in my dash several times, but actually got rid of all of them. Also wired my own system throughout the car.

As the person said above about replacing the unit, I'm not really trying to drop that kind of money. I'm hoping to buy a new truck once the economy picks up anyways.

I see it plugs into a port in the back of the unit (which i recognize that). But don't if i unplug what's currently running in there, won't i lose sound to the rest of my car? I'd have to unplug something to plug this in. Guess thats why I'm confused.

Lumpy

Reaction score
I have an 87' F-150 and the first thing I did when I got it was chuck the stock stereo.

Several head units later and I now have a (relatively affordable) JVC Arsenal with bluetooth which you can use for both handsfree and as an audio source.

If you need help with installation Crutchfield usually will set you up with in-dash adapters, connectors and instructions at no charge.

rlfitz

Reaction score
an fm modulator can be hard wired to the back of your stereo, it goes inline with the antenna wire so when you hit the switch to turn it on, it will play the mp3s through your FM radio. you would just put the radio on whatever channel the fm modulator plays on. the hard wired fm mods work much better than the cheap fm transmitters because it plays it directly into your radios tuner and blocks the usual fm signals coming over the air waves while you have it turned on. the reason why those cheap fm transmitters always suck is because the are trying to overpower the fm radio waves coming into the antenna. static ensues...

sekyus

Reaction score
I'v been using the Motorola T505 and it works really good for me, I got it on line and I paid around 60 Dlls for it and it also works great with calls. dancedroid

b_salgado

Reaction score
Do you have an AUX button on the front of your stereo? If so, you need a can-bus adapter or PIE adapter. I recently removed mine from me 04 Lariat. I installed a Poineer AVH-P3200DVD with AVIC-U220 nav. This PIE adapter plugs directly into the rear of your head unit and you plug an RCA to 3.5 MM jack into it. From there, you just plug your phone in and hit aux on your stereo. I stream Pandora all the time as well as play all the music I have on my SD card. My new Pioneer has SD card slot, USB, and AUX..... it has more inputs than anything I have ever seen in a car stereo! If you're interested, let me know.....

rjmaype

Reaction score
The PIE adapters for a Ford is about $90 perhaps $70 on ebay.

It is almost cheaper to get a scratch and dent Best Buy or Crutchfield Alpine unit with an aux in jack and USB jack.

The Alpine will make those stock speakers sound better with the bass, treble and midrange adjustment.

mrksbrd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Twitter
mrksbrd
Hey everyone!

jordan

Sharpz,

Your best bet would be to get a radio with AUX input, for what you might spend on a higher quality FM modulator it still won't sound as good as the direct AUX. Look at Crutchfield catalog or Ebay for that matter you should be able to find a decent radio for about $150-$180 range. I have a older model Pioneer(forget model # at the moment) it has Ipod capability, SAT capability, and rear AUX input, and I use "Car Home" to play my music on my DX, also if using this app you will be able to answer/talk thru your stereo as well.