FM Transmitter question?

robboxedit

Reaction score
Hi guys, so my car is a couple years old and didnt come with an AUX input. Using my ipod i had always used a decent quality FM transmitter. Not ideal but it worked enough for me. Question is, has anyone found an FM transmitter with a 3.5 mm jack or some kind of adapter to use with the Droid? Droid has a decent enough music player but speaker is crappy for in the car (as expected on a phone) so Im looking for ideas here.

Thanks

gprichardson1

Reaction score
I bought a Motorola MOTOROKR T505 Bluetooth In-Car Speakerphone with Digital FM Transmitter . It's probably not as good as having an AUX jack in the car but it works well for me. the device will find the optimal FM station for you to tune in to. The sound for me is quite acceptable.

I also like the fact that it's a handfree bluetooth solution. Bluetooth earpieces don't work well for me so the speakerphone option is great.

Search around for prices. I think its MSRP is around $90, but we found them for about $60. Can't remember where; Google is your friend. :)

-Gary

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use a Belkin FM transmitter. Nothing special... bought it from Best Buy. works fine.

jfourman

Reaction score
Soundfly Bluetooth FM Transmitter works great.

I use this Soundfly BT Ultimate Bluetooth Car FM Transmitter.

Soundfly BT Ultimate Bluetooth Car Fm Transmitter WMA/MP3 Player for SD Card, USB Stick, iPhone 3Gs & 3G, iPod, Zune | Satechi

My Droid automatically pairs with it when I get into my car. It's mic is external so I was able to run the mic's wire under my console and behind the windshield pillar cover so that it is attached to my visor. The transmitter has a slot for an SD card. So not only can you play A2DP audio from your Droid through the car speakers, you can also play music from the SD card inserted in the transmitter. The transmitter has a hidden keypad behind a dropdown door to access its menu of functions. It also has a tiny IR remote that works well if you point it directly at the transmitter.

All in all it is a great handsfree, A2DP stereo solution for your Droid if your car does not have built in bluetooth.

It isn't cheap at $69...but well worth the price for me. Satechi has great customer service as well. I had purchased another manufacturers transmitter from them that stopped working after a year. They sent me a new Soundfly BT without me even asking for a replacement after I had only inquired as to whether the broken transmitter could be fixed.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
I saw one for 100 bucks on the internet that guaranteed like 100 foot coverage or so. It could run on a cord charger or batteries.

If your looking for a high end solution try that.

I just found the website. It gurantees 150feet in all directions. The website is Don’t Buy Any FM Transmitter Until You’ve Seen Our FM Transmitter - Whole House FM Transmitter.com

I opened a search window on my Droid and found it for you without having to close this page. Man I love this phone!

If your willing to spend the extra cash I would totally try this. With guaranteed 150 feet it should work decent as a FM transmitter for your home. Please post a review if you get it.

Otherwise any transmitter more than 20 bucks should work fine. Check Walmart or target

jev

Reaction score
If you're gonna pay anything over $50 you may as well just buy a new radio for your car that has an aux jack. The last one I bought was a cheap one for my jeep and I think it was around $70. The sound quality is good and I don't have to mess with an fm transmitter that sometimes has static.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
If you're gonna pay anything over $50 you may as well just buy a new radio for your car that has an aux jack. The last one I bought was a cheap one for my jeep and I think it was around $70. The sound quality is good and I don't have to mess with an fm transmitter that sometimes has static.

True but a high end transmitter shouldn't have static. Also consider the advantage of no installation and being able to use it anywhere there is a radio device. If you go on vacation or to a friends house you simply carry your transmitter. The only advantage of an auxiliary Jack is to avoid static 100% sure.

For such an expensive FM transmitter as I posted earlier, it shouldn't have the static issues that cheap ones suffer from.

psustan

Reaction score
Sorry to post to an old thread, but I use a Jabra Cruiser BT speakerphone and the FM transmission is fine. Works with music, calls, navigator, etc. basically anything the droid says plays through your speakers. Once in a while the audio gets cut up, but simply power-cycling the speakerphone fixes it.