FM transmitter for use with Droid?

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
I have a Motorola Droid. My old car had a cassette player so I used a cassette adapter for audio and could charge the Droid from the "cigarette lighter". I just switched to a car with a CD player. All the FM transmitters I find plug into (use up) the cigarette lighter so I can't also power the Droid in the car but the navigator eats battery so I can't go on a long trip without plugging the Droid in. Can anyone recommend an FM transmitter that let's me still charge the Droid in the car?

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
What kind of car you got that doesn't have a built-in radio?
You ggonna have to find a transmitter that runs on batteries then. Or use iHeartRadio or RadioTime on your droid. But not every single radio station is available on these.

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
If you *have* a radio, it should *have* a FM transmitter ...

There's a line from, I think, a Firesign Theatre routine that seems to apply here, "You just don't understand how radio works." :) My car has an FM *receiver*. I want an FM *transmitter* to send sound from my Droid to the car speakers via the car's receiver.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
You could try something like this too:

Buy Cheap 3 Way Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter Adapter with USB,Car Cigarette Lighter Socket,Car Socket Adapter

Never used one myself but kind of curious to try one now since my car only has one cigarette lighter.
Never really liked those splitters. My stuff always charged a lot slower. Think you're best bet is the one I posted. It's 3-1, charger, transmitter, transmitter charger. I would get one if I needed it.

Adecker

Reaction score
I just bought one from walmart. Works amazing...Now if I could remember the name....its an iTrip but i forgot who makes it. It plugs into the 3.5mm headphone jack and the USB to charge...Works amazing.

edit: Its called the Griffen iTrip.

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
OH my bad. Lol, I was reading it wrong. I believe there are some transmitters that run on battery, either chargable or alkaline, and they plug into the headphone jack. I never really looked into them, cause I just use a USB cable :)

Here ya go, this one charges your droid as well. Plugs into the lighter outlet

Amazon.com: Audio FM Transmitter / Internet Music Vehicle Adapter with integrated Car Charger for the Motorola DROID - uses Gomadic TipExchange Technology: Electronics

Oh, that looks nice. But expensive.

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score

gmmurphy

Reaction score
I have a Motorola Droid. My old car had a cassette player so I used a cassette adapter for audio and could charge the Droid from the "cigarette lighter". I just switched to a car with a CD player. All the FM transmitters I find plug into (use up) the cigarette lighter so I can't also power the Droid in the car but the navigator eats battery so I can't go on a long trip without plugging the Droid in. Can anyone recommend an FM transmitter that let's me still charge the Droid in the car?

hey bud,

this is what i use, its the size of a deck of cards. i use for boat, car and house. Don't Buy Any FM Transmitter Until You See Our New FM Transmitter not sure if its to big for you. runs on batteries, comes with all power cords. i happen to have two power outlets in my car. radio shack has cigarette lighter power splitters.
this product can be used in a number of different ways, i also use with my streaming music server and broadcast though out my house. think its about $100 that may be a deal breaker but its worth every penny.