Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
fitness.png

Fitness Friday.

Today's topic.. Feeling the muscle vs moving the weight.

We've all seen the people at the gym who are using momentum or are jerking around the weight they're attempting to lift. Yeah it's awesome to look cool and be moving a lot of weight.. But you're better off lifting an amount of weight that you can control. Anybody can get out and start swinging on a cable machine to try to say that they're moving X amount of weight. It's a bad idea and here's why..

Increased chance of injury, not just for you, but the other gym goers around you.

Damage to the equipment, this is self explanatory..

Not getting anywhere close to the full range of motion for the movement.

You recruit other muscle groups, therefore losing the isolation or focus on a certain group or groups of muscle.

It's better to go lighter and FEEL the muscle. Meaning, you concentrate on the contraction and expansion of the particular muscle or groups, that you're working.

Here's the fun part.. You can be messing up your exercise by going a mere 10-15 lbs heavier than you should.. In any isolation work, if you go a tad lighter, you won't recruit other muscle groups to help that movement.. And it allows you to focus on the muscle you're intending to work, instead of accidentally working other surrounding muscle groups as well. Try going lighter and incorporating techniques like pause reps to really start sparking new growth.

There is a place for going heavier, but that's a discussion for another time. I tried to keep this short and sweet.. As usual, we all have our own way of doing things.. But consider this.. Going lighter and with more control, can also help prevent injuries.

Thanx @pc747 for the opportunity to write another article. And thank you guys for reading. :)<br/>

Last edited by a moderator:

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Here, here! Number one mistake people make when they're want to start working out or lifting. I tell my fighters and future soccer stars all the advice you just gave. Of course soccer stars immediately want to work out the legs but how are you going to use those when you don't stretch your hips!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk