First time user many many questions

phatkat66

Reaction score
Ok to start off i am coming from a bb from nextel to the droid. I realllly like this fone. Even the physical keyboard although isnt perfect i enjoy having the option. But i have a few questions i couldnt find on the boards.

First.... does anyone know if there are any apps that organizes ur multimedia files the way blackberry did? I have tons of pix and videos i dont want anyone to see so are in a folder but when i go into gallery it showsz thumbviews of everything!!! Kinda akward when i jus wanna show a friend a normal pic and they glance at the TnA folder on the side lol. I jus want everything to be viewed as a list if possible.

Second.... a moment aago all my sound went into the earpierce instead of speaker and i had to pull the battery to fix that. Is there a way to manually switch back n forth?

Third....anyway to full screen a youtube video? The screen is so beautiful but its no use if the youtube vid is surrounded by a thick black boarder.

Lastly....is there a way to share paid apps? So one person pays and friends can have it too?

Thanks for any and all help. I like this fone so much i typed this from it lol. The only thing i miss from bb is the bbm lol

tlq

Reaction score
i think there's a program for you to organize and choose which one to be private, can't think of the name atm, maybe someone remembers it.

OP
P

phatkat66

Reaction score
I have something like that called video safe and pic safe. I have hundreds of pix though and the trial only allows u to private 5 pix/videos unless u buy the full version which i unfortunately dont wanna do.

GolfProRM

Reaction score
There are just some things you're going to have to pay for if you want the feature. Development of apps costs time, and time is money. Most apps are only a dollar or two, hardly a major expense.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok to start off i am coming from a bb from nextel to the droid. I realllly like this fone. Even the physical keyboard although isnt perfect i enjoy having the option. But i have a few questions i couldnt find on the boards.

:welcome: to the forums. We are glad to have you here.

First.... does anyone know if there are any apps that organizes ur multimedia files the way blackberry did? I have tons of pix and videos i dont want anyone to see so are in a folder but when i go into gallery it showsz thumbviews of everything!!! Kinda akward when i jus wanna show a friend a normal pic and they glance at the TnA folder on the side lol. I jus want everything to be viewed as a list if possible.

Create folders on your card. then move the pics you want there. Do the same for music. Then only view that folder.

Second.... a moment aago all my sound went into the earpierce instead of speaker and i had to pull the battery to fix that. Is there a way to manually switch back n forth?

Not sure about that. I haven't experienced it.

Third....anyway to full screen a youtube video? The screen is so beautiful but its no use if the youtube vid is surrounded by a thick black boarder.

I agree woith you, but I haven'y found that option

Lastly....is there a way to share paid apps? So one person pays and friends can have it too?

Here on this forum. We discourage stuff like that.The developers should get paid for what they do. If you pay for it it is yours. It's not like with BB where they give you a link to d/l from. Then many people can d/l from that link.

Thanks for any and all help. I like this fone so much i typed this from it lol. The only thing i miss from bb is the bbm lol

BBM is the only thing i miss from my BB also, but my google talk friends is growing up quickly :). Enjoy the phone!

OP
P

phatkat66

Reaction score
Thanks guys (or girls) for the help. I will be fair to the developers and not share apps. If its a great app they really do deserve their cut. I guess i will get the pic safe and video safe apps since it doesmt seem i have much of a choice lol. My speaker issue only happened once an ive seen very few ppl exprience it but it has happene to othrs.

Does anyone know how to turn on/off the speaker during audio playback?

Thanks again everyone!

andjarnic

Reaction score
I had to comment.. as a developer who is working many many hours to learn the APIs to hopefully provide solid apps/games down the road, I would REALLY appreciate it if people would pay the $1 for an app that is useful to them. $1 is sooo little money for something you find use for. I have paid for several apps, and some games. Even paid $20 for a kewl app on my old iPhone it was that good and worth paying for. I know there are going to be a lot of teens/youngins with this (and other Android) phones who either don't have access to pay as their parents got them the phone, or want to try to skirt around paying for anything.. the hacker variety... and I understand that, I was once there too. But that was back in the day when video games were $50 for crappy games with lots of bugs, and movies were (and still are) $20 for a DVD with some color that costs less than $2 for the entire package. These days, asking for $1 for an app is SO SO little money for even a teenage kid. There are some people, that at $1 per copy, make a lot of money.. it is seemingly rare, but there are some apps that do infact cost a LOT of time and money to make. It's only fair to pay a measely $1.

To look at it another way.. when CDs were $15 and you wanted just one song.. a bunch of us complained to the world.. "I don't want to pay this much for all these other songs..I just want this one song..can I buy it." Then came iTunes and other services, that allowed you to buy a single song for $1. It is huge and for good reason. Being able to pay a $1 or $2 for something you REALLY want over $20 (or say $50 for software) for something you only want part of, or wont use much.. is ridiculous. So, in the case of these little computer platforms we hold (Android and iPhone), developers spend a lot of time making even simple apps. There is a LOT that goes into developing an app for a very limited memory/cpu platform like these phones are. All the stuff we learned about writing software for desktops goes out the door..well most of it. Instead, we now have to do a lot of optimizations that we learned were not needed when developing desktop software.. and more so, early optimization is bad. But for these devices, we need to spend the time to learn how to do this right to provide quality programs for these devices. Therefore, asking for $1, or $2, or even $50 in some speciality apps, is really not a lot. We're banking on 100's to 1000's of people paying $1 to make up for the months we spend on one little app.

So please, be fair, pay the $1 for a full version of an app if you like it or will use it. It's the right thing to do.. and trust me, very few apps are going to be so big that the developer is going to get rich off of it. Most of the time, your helping the developer continue to develop and still put food on his table.. s/he are not out buying expensive cars and retiring at 22 years of age because their app sold 2 million copies. That is a rare thing indeed!

OP
P

phatkat66

Reaction score
Also i have my pixs in folders on my sd memory card but the problem is when i go into the default app "gallery" it shows thumbnails previewing in all the folders right away. Including my created folders. And they automaticaly have an "all pictures" folder.
Any tips or app suggestions? Im willing to get the pic safe app but does anyone know if i can just select a whole folder at once instead of one pic at a time?

OP
P

phatkat66

Reaction score
Is there anyway to turn the screen to landscape during the homescreen without having to slide open the kb? I sit here for a minute before i remember it needs the kb opened.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to turn the screen to landscape during the homescreen without having to slide open the kb? I sit here for a minute before i remember it needs the kb opened.

Sorry but if you are on your home screen. Lanscape mode doesn't come on (never did either). Just open the app you want and it will switch cor you :)

OP
P

phatkat66

Reaction score
Cool not a problem jus slight annoyance. But compared to my niece throwing stuff at me behind me while i type this from my phone lol thats nothing. Thanks everyone.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
About the Youtube problem:

Some videos DO use the full screen. It appears that it makes the video as big as possible, without cutting the edges off, or stretching/cropping the picture.

In other words, its kinda like a normal TV channel on a HD TV. Since the video is not made in widescreen, the phone will not use the full screen.

Maybe in the future we will get an option to stretch the video to fit the screen, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Its possible that it would be too CPU intensive to change flash video aspect ratios like that.

OP
P

phatkat66

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know about that. I wont go nuts trying to figure out what I did to make this Weird al video go full screen but the naruto episode isn't lol.

New question!!!

Does anyone know how i can MOVE a pic from a folder I have into a different folder? For example I have pix from the camera, and pix ive saved off of text messages but they are only in the "downloaded" folder. I want to move the pix into my other folders I had previously created in my other phone that is now on this sd card. (Idk if i made sense or not)

I can't find any options to move a picture. Let alone name or even rename it. Any ideas?

nite1964

Reaction score
I'm a newbie... hahaha not to smart phones but to the Droid... this one is smarter than me! I am also interested in moving pics to a folder so it doesn't POP right out there! haha

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know about that. I wont go nuts trying to figure out what I did to make this Weird al video go full screen but the naruto episode isn't lol.

New question!!!

Does anyone know how i can MOVE a pic from a folder I have into a different folder? For example I have pix from the camera, and pix ive saved off of text messages but they are only in the "downloaded" folder. I want to move the pix into my other folders I had previously created in my other phone that is now on this sd card. (Idk if i made sense or not)

I can't find any options to move a picture. Let alone name or even rename it. Any ideas?

I'm a newbie... hahaha not to smart phones but to the Droid... this one is smarter than me! I am also interested in moving pics to a folder so it doesn't POP right out there! haha

You need to download a file explorer app. You can do a Market search for 'file explorer' and you'll get a bunch. I recommend EStrongs File Explorer. With it you can also connect to your home PC via wi-fi... and they're working on developing FTP. Little FYI since the developer was nice enough to respond to my E-mail :)

edit: Works the same as Windows Explorer as far as moving files (copy/cut/paste, etc) and you can move files from PC to DROID and vice versa.