First time Droid user...

g0dless420

Reaction score
I can't believe how much I'm liking this phone, it may even come close to replacing my ipod (once I get a larger sd card). I of course have found my way to the market place, and via a friends suggest downloaded Advanced Task Killer free, for my anal retentive memory management needs, Google Goggles, Adobe Reader, Opera Mini, Google Reader, Facebook.

My question is what kind of customization can I do without going into the root stuff? I really want to enjoy my phone in the stock settings (that and Verizon did the latest update in the store anyway so I'm not sure if I have the choice).

I've jailbroken my ipod many times, and am not really new to doing such things...but I just want to hold off on doing something before I know what I can do without doing it.

Any help or advice? In particular good themes or widgets I may have not noticed?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Bilgediver

Reaction score
To be even more anal retentive at memory management, its best to root your phone, then get an app like Minfree or Autokiller (Autokiller is poorly named, it is not an automatic task killer....except it uses Android itself as the auto task killer). They both tweak Android's Memory Management settings without touching any tasks themselves, and even have presets if you are unsure how to tweak the settings yourself.

Welcome, though! Glad you're joining the Android side of the war!

For tips or hints on how to use ADW.Launcher to customize your phone, please check the link in my sig ;)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Forum - Glad you have joined us

Sent from my Droid

OP
g0dless420

g0dless420

Reaction score
ADW and Launcher are both pretty nice so far, thanks for those suggestions. I had no clue I could change so many things! I was kind of scared when none of my widgets or icons were there...but they come back if I ever remove the theme so thats nice.

Now I'll spend another day and a half putting icons back on this theme lol.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
ADW and Launcher are both pretty nice so far, thanks for those suggestions. I had no clue I could change so many things! I was kind of scared when none of my widgets or icons were there...but they come back if I ever remove the theme so thats nice.

Now I'll spend another day and a half putting icons back on this theme lol.

The widgets/icons are there, you just have to re-add everything to your home screen. Don't mistake themes for home replacement apps. Themes can be applied to home replacement apps, and home replacement apps are complete overhauls of your home screen GUI.

OP
g0dless420

g0dless420

Reaction score
The widgets/icons are there, you just have to re-add everything to your home screen. Don't mistake themes for home replacement apps. Themes can be applied to home replacement apps, and home replacement apps are complete overhauls of your home screen GUI.

Yes that's what I meant, sorry for the misunderstanding.

forgetfull

Reaction score
I want to root my phone to be able to use ( SETCPU ) to speed up my phone PLEASE help...

lerit50

Reaction score
I have one word of advice:

Make sure you truly know your phone inside and out before you root. It helps, so that way the first time you root your head isn't spinning.

I myself have unrooted my phone and prefer to use apps to customized (LauncherPro and Chompsms)

And listen when people say not to use a taskiller. I used one for a while and was OCD when it came to killing an app when I was done with it. I ditched it when I read about it and my phone is absolutely fine without it.

OP
g0dless420

g0dless420

Reaction score

I found that "home-switcher" was perfect, so I could keep both Launch and ADW installed, and still be able to switch to my default screen.

And per Everybody...I took the task killer off earlier today, and yeah it's been fine ever since.