First time trying to install ROM..have questions.

newbie2droid2

Reaction score
Hello Experts:

I recently got a Droid 2 (running software 2.2), and successfully rooted it following instructions posted here. I used Z4root. I have also installed Droid2 Bootstrapper, and create Backup of the phone. I am enjoying my phone, and now want to try the next step..install a custom ROM. I want to install Squidly2.3.20.2 Rom (looks like that is the latest one).

Youtube/unlocker videos show that I can use bootstrapper (after saving the file on SD card, and in Bootstrapper, selecting install file from SD card-->use the zip file, not unzip it), and thats pretty much it.

I read squidly's official thread on this Rom (Link), but since I am a newbie to droid world, I still do not understand how to install this Rom. Can someone guide a newbie with step-by-step instructions?

Reading the thread, I dont know what this means:

Install through clockwork or rom manger --> what are these?

Post-install: - Using gscripts to install transitions causes you to lose contacts and sync to facebook it is more dependable using terminal /scripts.

Do I need to do this?

SCRIPTS

All my scripts are in terminal and also by Gscript now (thanks to Pinkventure for an awesome app).

If you do not get the all the scripts in gscripts,type gscripts in terminal to install them.

What does it do, or I even need to be concerned about it?

Sorry for what might seem like trivial questions to the experts here, but a newbie is scared to his life...

(I am submitting this thread in general ROM forums and also in squidly's forum, hoping to get a quick response.)

TIA.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
clockwork mod recovery is the custom recovery that the droid 2 bootstrapper gives you access to. rom manager is an old rom flashing utility but it is far more reliable to use the actual recovery from bootstrap. so basically the instructions you saw on youtube are accurate. just remember to wipe data and cache unless otherwise specified in the instalation thread of your rom.

OP
N

newbie2droid2

Reaction score
Thanks spaz..will try to install it later and see how it goes.

Next step, how do I install a theme then? Are there any instructions/guide for that too?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
themes are installed basically the same way, done in clockork, except for there's no need for a wipe of data or cache. also you need to mount the system in clockwork before flashing. there are usually instructions for flashing at the top of any theme's thread. also make sure the theme coresponds to the rom you are running.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add that it's a good idea to flash a fresh copy of the rom before doing a theme, just to make sure you have a clean platform for the theme. Obviously, this only applies if you have done some modding after flashing your rom. If you flash the rom then immediately flash the theme, you should be golden.

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

OP
N

newbie2droid2

Reaction score
Ok, I am back. Just now installed squidly Rom following spaz's instructions. All went well, my phone seems to be running little fast too.

I followed that with thirdeyeblack theme (rebooted the system after installing Rom, created backup, and mounted system), the app seemed to install fine, but then it just got stuck on rebooting between Droid and Red Eye icon (kept alternating between these couple of times). Took out the battery, waited a couple of minutes, and still the same. Again, took out the battery, and this time recovered system, and so now I am at the same point as after installing Rom. How can I install this theme?

May be the theme I d/led was for fission (Link), in the same thread, the developer mentions about the theme for squidly on page 14(Link post # 136), but that link does not work. Does anyone know where can I download this theme? Any link?

I looked under Droid 2 forums and squidly sub-forum but dont see what themes can be installed on squidly, may be I am not checking in the right place. Please help.

spacemonkey03060

Reaction score
Hey all,
I am also a first time rom installer, and I followed spaz's instructions on how to install the rom. My first attempt didn't go so well, went back and tried it a second time and it seemed to take, except that now I can't get on the verizon network. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try *228 option 1 when prompted. That will update and activate your phone. Should at least :)

spacemonkey03060

Reaction score
I tried that, but where I can't get on the Verizon network, it doesn't work. It won't let me make any outgoing calls.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm on a d2 as well. Which rom did you flash? I would flash a backup in cw and try again.

andyc

Reaction score
May be the theme I d/led was for fission (Link), in the same thread, the developer mentions about the theme for squidly on page 14(Link post # 136), but that link does not work. Does anyone know where can I download this theme? Any link?

I looked under Droid 2 forums and squidly sub-forum but dont see what themes can be installed on squidly, may be I am not checking in the right place. Please help.

As you figured out, you can only install themes made for the specific rom you have installed. As far as I can tell from my 45 seconds of googling, that theme is indeed for fission and fission only.

There are a number of squidly themes. Fishaholdroid, kinda-watermark'd off the top of my head. I won't do an exhaustive search for you, but searching "theme" for this section yields three themes among these results, including the two I mentioned and green squidly, as someone mentioned in another thread.

Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum - Search Results