First time trying to install ROM..have questions.

newbie2droid2

Reaction score
Hello Experts:

I recently got a Droid 2 (running software 2.2), and successfully rooted it following instructions posted here. I used Z4root. I have also installed Droid2 Bootstrapper, and create Backup of the phone. I am enjoying my phone, and now want to try the next step..install a custom ROM. I want to install Squidly2.3.20.2 Rom (looks like that is the latest one).

Youtube/unlocker videos show that I can use bootstrapper (after saving the file on SD card, and in Bootstrapper, selecting install file from SD card-->use the zip file, not unzip it), and thats pretty much it.

I read squidly's official thread on this Rom (Link), but since I am a newbie to droid world, I still do not understand how to install this Rom. Can someone guide a newbie with step-by-step instructions?

Reading the thread, I dont know what this means:

Install through clockwork or rom manger --> what are these?

Post-install: - Using gscripts to install transitions causes you to lose contacts and sync to facebook it is more dependable using terminal /scripts.

Do I need to do this?

SCRIPTS

All my scripts are in terminal and also by Gscript now (thanks to Pinkventure for an awesome app).

If you do not get the all the scripts in gscripts,type gscripts in terminal to install them.

What does it do, or I even need to be concerned about it?

Sorry for what might seem like trivial questions to the experts here, but a newbie is scared to his life...

(I am submitting this thread in general ROM forums and also in squidly's forum, hoping to get a quick response.)

TIA.

Last edited:
OP
N

newbie2droid2

Reaction score
Ok, sorry. I wan not sure where I would get a quick response. In future, I will make sure not to double post.

NYCSean

Reaction score
Hello Experts:

I recently got a Droid 2 (running software 2.2), and successfully rooted it following instructions posted here. I used Z4root. I have also installed Droid2 Bootstrapper, and create Backup of the phone. I am enjoying my phone, and now want to try the next step..install a custom ROM. I want to install Squidly2.3.20.2 Rom (looks like that is the latest one).

Youtube/unlocker videos show that I can use bootstrapper (after saving the file on SD card, and in Bootstrapper, selecting install file from SD card-->use the zip file, not unzip it), and thats pretty much it.

I read squidly's official thread on this Rom (Link), but since I am a newbie to droid world, I still do not understand how to install this Rom. Can someone guide a newbie with step-by-step instructions?

Reading the thread, I dont know what this means:

Install through clockwork or rom manger --> what are these?

Post-install: - Using gscripts to install transitions causes you to lose contacts and sync to facebook it is more dependable using terminal /scripts.

Do I need to do this?

SCRIPTS

All my scripts are in terminal and also by Gscript now (thanks to Pinkventure for an awesome app).

If you do not get the all the scripts in gscripts,type gscripts in terminal to install them.

What does it do, or I even need to be concerned about it?

Sorry for what might seem like trivial questions to the experts here, but a newbie is scared to his life...

(I am submitting this thread in general ROM forums and also in squidly's forum, hoping to get a quick response.)

TIA.

1. Clockwork or ROM manager is found through the android manager its a app that lets you install and backup your files if anything goes wrong

2. gscripts isn't necessary but in my opinion its not so important its just animations. which would have some problem with syncing your contacts if you do it

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
1. Clockwork or ROM manager is found through the android manager its a app that lets you install and backup your files if anything goes wrong

2. gscripts isn't necessary but in my opinion its not so important its just animations. which would have some problem with syncing your contacts if you do it

Corrections for noobs that might stumble on this thread..
1. Clockwork Recovery is accessed using the Droid 2 Bootstraper. Most other phones can have clockwork recovery replace the stock android recovery because there bootloader is not locked. The locked boot loader means we have to use the bootstrap to get in to and install clockwork.

2. gscripts is more then just animations, you can run scripts to enable or disable ads, and a whole host of other features. In this instance it states installing transitions from gscripts will cause you to loose your contacts. Also using gscripts to get facebook sync working is much more dependable then using the actual facebook app to sync.

haxerpaylay

Reaction score
1. Install the app Rom Manager.
2.go into the app (rom manager) and press Install clockworkmod. Wait till it's done hit ok.
3. Go into bootstrapper and hit bootstrap.
4. Make sure the rom .zip is on the sd card.
5. Boot into recovery using the bootstrapper app.
6. You must wipe data and cache. Look for this option.
7. Go to install zip from sd card.
8. Find and select your rom .zip
9. Flash it (install it)
10. Select reboot.
11. your phone should come on with your new rom.
12. Log into gmail! And install apps if you backed them up to your gmail.
13. Your Done!

I would also recommend looking at the liberty rom. I use it on my DROIDX and I know they make one for the DROID2.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

haxerpaylay

Reaction score
I can help with other stuff as well if you need.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums