Finally rooted my Droid 3 today

Droid3Guy

Reaction score
Used Pete's tools and it was actually pretty easy. Not much to it at all. Anyway, now that I'm rooted, I decided to buy and download titanium backup to start freezing some bloatware. I noticed someone made a safe list for droid 4 on what is safe to freeze, but haven't been able to find one for droid 3 yet. I assume the lists are pretty similar and I already starting freezing some apps from the droid 4 list. Is there one for the droid 3 that I can use that might have some extra things on it that the droid 4 list doesn't have? Also, is their a thread that has a bunch of tips that will help me take full advantage of having root access now? Thank You for your help. Much appreciated.

tlpalmer01

Reaction score
i would flash a rom......read thru them and decide what u want...im running dark droid and i love it...

OP
D

Droid3Guy

Reaction score
i would flash a rom......read thru them and decide what u want...im running dark droid and i love it...

Does flashing a rom improve performance or is it more of a style thing for your phone? Is the rooting and debloating part the main thing that improves performance or does flashing a rom on top of that provide further benefits? Thanks.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Most ROMs are debloated already so the performance is better both battery life and speed.

pastorgadget

Reaction score
It's nice to see some folks who are taking this one step at a time!

Yes, the major benefit to rooting is being able to freeze the bloatware that you don't use or want. Having CAUTIOUSLY done that, you can proceed with trying ROMs and such for styling. Be aware that some ROMs don't support all the phone's features, or else they have some issues. Dredge the forums here and on XDA to see what's working best.

Since the OP was talking about Titanium Backup, it is always a good idea to have a copy of your stock ROM on your home computer (so you can reset it things go south) and have backups on your device for your apps. Educate yourself before changing ROMs!

One major note: It is better to freeze than to delete an app. All freezing does is rename an app so it is no longer recognized, effectively making it invisible to the OS--which is basically all you need. I gained back a lot of operating memory by freezing the bloat that kept auto-starting. More memory makes things run a lot faster, and it is more efficient for the battery, too. Fewer apps polling the OS for Internet access reduces the drain on the OS. Also, freezing the apps removes them from the app drawer, which reduces scrolling, etc. Basically, rooting and then freezing is a very good thing, even if you never install a custom ROM.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

KZ_259

Reaction score
It's nice to see some folks who are taking this one step at a time!

Yes, the major benefit to rooting is being able to freeze the bloatware that you don't use or want. Having CAUTIOUSLY done that, you can proceed with trying ROMs and such for styling. Be aware that some ROMs don't support all the phone's features, or else they have some issues. Dredge the forums here and on XDA to see what's working best.

Since the OP was talking about Titanium Backup, it is always a good idea to have a copy of your stock ROM on your home computer (so you can reset it things go south) and have backups on your device for your apps. Educate yourself before changing ROMs!

One major note: It is better to freeze than to delete an app. All freezing does is rename an app so it is no longer recognized, effectively making it invisible to the OS--which is basically all you need. I gained back a lot of operating memory by freezing the bloat that kept auto-starting. More memory makes things run a lot faster, and it is more efficient for the battery, too. Fewer apps polling the OS for Internet access reduces the drain on the OS. Also, freezing the apps removes them from the app drawer, which reduces scrolling, etc. Basically, rooting and then freezing is a very good thing, even if you never install a custom ROM.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

my question that i couldnt find answered yet is: can i still do over-the-air updates on my phone or even upgrade to the current OS of android once i am rooted and once the selected apps are frozen?

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
my question that i couldnt find answered yet is: can i still do over-the-air updates on my phone or even upgrade to the current OS of android once i am rooted and once the selected apps are frozen?

You're still able to receive OTAs while rooted, but you would need to unfreeze your frozen apps. The only way you would be unable to update over OTA is to flash a ROM that has disabled that option, or edit your build.prop.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to do that? The developers are already ahead of VZW anyways!

Sent from my XT862 + ICS

KZ_259

Reaction score
You're still able to receive OTAs while rooted, but you would need to unfreeze your frozen apps. The only way you would be unable to update over OTA is to flash a ROM that has disabled that option, or edit your build.prop.

so unfreeze apps, then apply update?

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
so unfreeze apps, then apply update?

Yes, that is correct. But honestly, I would flash a custom ROM. Personally, I'm waiting for VZW and Moto to say "Droid 3 users, you suck. We don't like you anymore" so I can be more inclined to flash either Hashcode's CM9 build or his AOKP build. I'm just waiting for most of the major bugs to be squashed. After it's 100% confirmed that support for my D3 is completely abolished, I'm going to flash one of the leaked updates (probably .905 or .906), install one of the two options mentioned above, and mod to my heart's content.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Why would you want to do that? The developers are already ahead of VZW anyways!

Sent from my XT862 + ICS

I'm just itching to flash ICS to my phone. I can't wait! But, I'm the kind of person that can only flash when 99% of bugs are fixed... :/

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm just itching to flash ICS to my phone. I can't wait! But, I'm the kind of person that can only flash when 99% of bugs are fixed... :/

All that is left is keyboard back light and FFC. That's a pretty short list IMHO.

I use it as a daily and I don't know that I could go back.

Sent from my XT862 + ICS

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
All that is left is keyboard back light and FFC. That's a pretty short list IMHO.

I use it as a daily and I don't know that I could go back.

Sent from my XT862 + ICS

Yeah, I know it has a short list, but I use my video recorder and FFC quite a bit. And also, I text in the dark a lot at night when texting my girlfriend and surfing the web... either way, I like to wait before I take that plunge because if I flash it, I like to flash the entire system. I don't think I'll flash it in safe system because I won't be switching back and forth. Idk yet.