Do Not Freeze These Apps (or unfreeze before Factory Reset)

REMilk

Reaction score
As many have stated, do NOT delete/uninstall bloatware or unneeded apps! Freeze them.

dancedroid As of September 9,2011, there is an .sbf file.**Right now, there is no .sbf to restore the Droid 3.** If you freeze a critical app, even though it appears to be bloatware (or is bloatware) and do not unfreeze it prior to doing a factory restore, you will not be able to 're-activate' your Droid 3.

There are several posts within the forum that list apps that are safe to delete. Well, many are bloatware and some do not affect the day-to-day operation of the Droid 3. However, after reading follow-up posts, I see that there are apps that are or appear to be needed in the event of a 'Factory Reset"

Based on thes many comments, I have put together a list of apps, that are listed on other posts as bloatware or "safe to freeze", but are actually needed for basic Droid functions or for 'activation.' I, myself, will not freeze these as I may forget to unfreeze when a 'Factory Reset' is needed.

:reddroid: Guided Tours
:blackdroid: Yahoo Contacts
:greendroid: email
:reddroid: corporate sync authenticator
:blackdroid: all authenticators
:greendroid: Backup Assistant
:reddroid: All ...blur
:blackdroid: location services (GPS, Verizon, Google)
:greendroid:

This is my list; most likely yours will differ. I hope others can provide additional information based on their experience.

Bob

Last edited:

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey do you mind posting this in the Bionic forum since these phonese are so closely related? Because after seeing this, I went back and unfroze some things.

howzball

Reaction score
How a device can be so tied to a useless app like Backup Assistant or Yahoo Contacts is beyond me.
They're basically telling us the device we paid hard earned cash out of our pockets for, yeah...you're just borrowing it.

You need Yahoo Contacts or else the whole device is worthless. Sounds like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.

OP
REMilk

REMilk

Reaction score
VZ Navigator is not considered a location service; it uses the Verizon Location Service.

Location Services are located:

Menu/Settings/ Location and security settings.

If you do not use the VZW location services, you can uncheck this box.

Ossoblanco

Reaction score
I still dont really understand the difference between deleting apps and freezing them. Will freezing apps I don't want keep them from showing up in my list of "all apps?" I want to remove the following apps from my new D3:

Amazon Kindle
V Apps
Blockbuster
Books
Gmail (doesnt seem like I need it with the other Email App that comes preinstalled)
GoToMeeting
Guided Tours
IM
Lets Golf 2
News
NFL Mobile
Social Location
Social Networking
All the V Cast BS
VZ Navigator
& Zumo Cast (I don't even know what this is)

I also have no idea what Citrix or DLNA is, can anyone help me understand these apps better?

I appreciate any help y'all can give me! I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I am trying to learn as much as I can

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Freezing an app is like putting a .bak after the .apk. Freezing is better than deleting because you can always unfreeze the app if it is a necessary app or you just want the app back. A frozen app will not show up in your app draw.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
REMilk

REMilk

Reaction score
I want to remove the following apps from my new D3:

& Zumo Cast (I don't even know what this is)

I also have no idea what Citrix or DLNA is, can anyone help me understand these apps better?

I appreciate any help y'all can give me!

ZumoCast allows you to stream media from your home network to other devices like your SmartPhone.

Citrix is needed as part of GOTO Meeting. If you are not going to use GoTo Meeting you can 'freeze' Citric.

Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) member companies seek to create new products that are compatible by using open standards and widely available industry specifications. I know that Gallery uses DLNA standards for sharing pics with certain, I do not know which ones, sites or programs/apps. I am not sure what other apps are following the DLNA standard.

I hope this answers your questions about those three app/services.

Bob

mrglass2626

Reaction score
Hello all,

I rooted early on and deleted various apps rather than freezing them as I didn't know at the time that this was an option. Now that the OTA update is available I find my device is unable to update - probably due to the missing files.

I guess I should have kept a careful log of the programs I removed but alas I did not.

How do I find a list of original programs and how do I get hold of them again and re-install them so that I can update properly?

Thanks for the help.

Ossoblanco

Reaction score
ZumoCast allows you to stream media from your home network to other devices like your SmartPhone.

Citrix is needed as part of GOTO Meeting. If you are not going to use GoTo Meeting you can 'freeze' Citric.

Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) member companies seek to create new products that are compatible by using open standards and widely available industry specifications. I know that Gallery uses DLNA standards for sharing pics with certain, I do not know which ones, sites or programs/apps. I am not sure what other apps are following the DLNA standard.

Bob

Thanks for all of the input you have provided me with Bob. You have helped me out a lot. Do you happen to know if there is a comprehensive list anywhere of what blur odex files and .apk files can be frozen on the D3? I have looked all over the place in multiple forums and have not been able to find any really detailed lists other than a few apps people mention here and there.

OP
REMilk

REMilk

Reaction score
Hello all,

I rooted early on and deleted various apps rather than freezing them as I didn't know at the time that this was an option. Now that the OTA update is available I find my device is unable to update - probably due to the missing files.

I guess I should have kept a careful log of the programs I removed but alas I did not.

How do I find a list of original programs and how do I get hold of them again and re-install them so that I can update properly?

Thanks for the help.

MrGlass2926:

I suggest you sbf flash back your Droid 3. This will restore all missing files. If you do a search on "sbf" you should be able to locate the instructions.

Good Luck,
Bob

OP
REMilk

REMilk

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input you have provided me with Bob. You have helped me out a lot. Do you happen to know if there is a comprehensive list anywhere of what blur odex files and .apk files can be frozen on the D3? I have looked all over the place in multiple forums and have not been able to find any really detailed lists other than a few apps people mention here and there.

Hi Ossoblanco,

I will begin by stating that many, and you may be included, will notice improvements to responsiveness, fewer screen re-draws, and fewer 'low memory' conditions by freezing apps.

I do not have a list of the blur .odex and .apk files that you are considering freezing.

Please remember, if you freeze apps and then apply an update without "thawing"/"unfreezing" the apps, you could get into a boot loop. This may necessitate a flashing of a base sbf file, then applying updates to this, then reloading and setting up all apps.

Every list of apps that folks consider candidates for freezing seems to be different. If you are going to freeze apps, you need to determine, based on your own usage, which apps you want to freeze. Remember, some apps are dependent on other apps and services. (Example, the GoToMeeting app requires the Citrix Receiver service and the Gallery app can use the DLNA service)

I will share my experience, and I am sure others will share there experience.

On my OG Droid, I suffered from slow redraws of my home screen, sluggish responsiveness, and frequent 'low memory' conditions when using a couple of apps. I froze several apps that I did not ever see a need to use and these problems, though not completely eliminated became less noticeable or frequent.

On my Droid 3, this was a different story. I have (and I had) no home screen redraw issues, no slow responsiveness, nor have I encountered any 'low memory" conditions. Depending on the apps, widgets, and services, one may or may not encounter these conditions; virtually every single person has a different configuration of apps, widgets, and services, so the conditions vary by person. I rooted my Droid 3 and froze all apps and services that I did not use or expect to use. For me, based on my combination of apps, widgets, and services, I noticed no improvement in my phone. After a week, I "thawed" all apps.

For me, and the combination of apps, widgets and services, I noticed no measurable improvement. Given that and the possibility that I forget to "thaw' all apps and put my phone into a boot-loop after trying to apply the update, I am not freezing apps. If I have issues, I may freeze apps in the future.

I will conclude by repeating my opening statement "many, and you may be included, will notice improvements to responsiveness, fewer screen re-draws, and fewer 'low memory' conditions by freezing apps."

Good Luck,
Bob

SEColwell

Reaction score
Hello all,

Thanks for the help.

I did the same thing google found the stuff for me along with the help of a friend .....you will need i think its root explore