Bloatware apps safe to remove on the Droid 4

RagtimeBenji

Reaction score
just figured it out, there was an error when trying to backup and uninstall. everything worked out. sorry for the trouble

Fuzzball

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance on this. When freezing an app, should it still show up under My Apps? I froze a bunch of stuff off the list and they're gone from the App drawer, but the apps are showing up as needing an Update in Play. I just don't want to see the bloatware anywhere until an OTA update is available.

I may just make copies of the APKs and move them from /system/app via command line (ConnectBot or ADB Shell) and copy them back when ICS hits. Didn't have a problem with this method on my Droid 3 with its OTA updates.

Dave Lister

Reaction score
Fuzzball said:
Pardon my ignorance on this. When freezing an app, should it still show up under My Apps? I froze a bunch of stuff off the list and they're gone from the App drawer, but the apps are showing up as needing an Update in Play. I just don't want to see the bloatware anywhere until an OTA update is available.

If you're using Titanium Backup, don't forget to select the option in the preferences to remove the market link from frozen apps.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Dave Lister said:
If you're using Titanium Backup, don't forget to select the option in the preferences to remove the market link from frozen apps.

That will not work anymore. There is no way around this without Google doing something.

You can update the apps. They will remain frozen.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

EastPhilly

Reaction score
Dont know if this was said before or not, but here's a warning:
*DO NOT USE ANTTEK AP MANAGER*
I used it because it was free and had more good reviews than bad, but after freezing apps I lost half my contacts. Now I do not have BackUp Assistant+ apps in my phone. The AntTek app apparently got rid of them.
If anyone has had this problem or knows the specific way for me to get this app set back please let me know.

Lrusso

Reaction score
I made another post but it appears this might be a better place to ask. It is perfectly ok to remove the apps that have an uninstall option on a stock phone correct?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yes, if there is an option to uninstall, you're good to go.

WaltA

Reaction score
I still entrust Tasker way more than Smart Actions..... I guess Smart Actions is just easier to use, but doesn't rival when Juice Defender and Tasker are both combined.

Can you freeze the pre-installed "Smart Actions" app ??
n0SbZi7JtBQ-PZuT_8nxITiWLXGXLC5fhhkWGqoNtSIzFwSGMfJLjRPAzFsCbp4kT0s=w124

wernst

Reaction score
So, how do we collectively feel about this Safe-To-Freeze List for ICS? I know this is a Droid 4 posting, and that ICS isn't officially out for the D4, but many of us Razr users refer to this list and now the question is relevant.

Thanks,
Warr

Rocky

Reaction score
Below are the apps that are safe to freeze on the Motorola Droid 4. Freezing apps hides them from your app drawer, prevents them from using system resources, and can help with battery life. You can freeze them using an app like Titanium Backup Pro (root required). Do not uninstall them as a.) many cannot be reinstalled correctly (even if you back them up) in the event of an error, and b.) you will need all the system apps when you receive updates in the future. If you freeze others and have no problems, post them here and I'll add them to the list. Likewise if you've frozen any below and you have problems, also let me know and I will remove them from the list (although that shouldn't be the case.)

Blockbuster, GoToMeeting, Let's Golf, and Madden NFL can be uninstalled normally from the Applications menu in Settings.

***There are more apps that can be frozen safely (Calculator, Google Search, My Files, Device Setup, etc.) but I am leaving them off this list because either a.) they are basic apps that aren't really bloatware or b.) links to them are built into basic menus/widgets and clicking on them would cause force closes (i.e. Device Setup, News.) Also there may be items below which you may very well want to use...this list is simply what's safe to freeze, and not necessarily what you should freeze.***

READ THE LIST CAREFULLY as some apps have very similar names but should not be frozen (e.g. Yahoo Calendar Service and Yahoo Contacts can be frozen safely, but Yahoo Mail Authenticator cannot.)

AdService
Amazon Kindle
Android Live Wallpapers
Apps
Backup Assistant Plus
Backup Assistant+
Backup Assistant+ Contacts
Backup Assistant+ Media
Car Dock
Facebook Authenticator (required for Facebook contact sync; not required for Facebook app)
Flickr Authenticator
Help Center
Home screen tips
IM
IM Presence
LastFM Authenticator
LinkedIn Authenticator
Live Wallpaper Picker
Magic Smoke Wallpapers
Mobile Hotspot
MOG Music
MOTOACTV
MotoCast (required for MotoCast, obviously)
MotoCast ID (required for MotoCast)
MOTOPRINT
My Music (Google Play Music app still works)
My Uploads
My Verizon Mobile
Netflix
NFL Mobile
Orkut Authenticator
Photobucket Authenticator
Picasa Authenticator
Skyrock Authenticator
Slacker
Slingbox
Social Messaging
Social Messaging Service
Social Networking
Social Sharing
Social Status
Talk
Twitter Authenticator
V CAST Tones
Verizon Location Agent
Verizon Video
VideoSurf
VZ Navigator
Yahoo Calendar Service
Yahoo Contacts
YouTube Authenticator (YouTube app still works)
ZumoService (required for MotoCast; freeze only if you freeze MotoCast and MotoCast ID as well)
Will work on this right now. Thanks in advance for the share!

EDIT: I also froze a few other stock apps, such as:

Blockbuster
GoToMeeting
Let's Golf

P.S. I also froze the Mobile Hotspot app, hoping it won't affect the tethering hack I just managed to make.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Rocky

Reaction score
Hey, although the My Music app is now defrosted, it's not working properly! Can anyone tell me what app must I defrost in order to get it back to work? (I only froze the ones on the suggested list as well as the few ones I mentioned.)

Rocky

Reaction score
Hey, although the My Music app is now defrosted, it's not working properly! Can anyone tell me what app must I defrost in order to get it back to work? (I only froze the ones on the suggested list as well as the few ones I mentioned.)
It FC's after trying to find stored music files.

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
Can one freeze the standalone Facebook app?

Its now part of the bloatware with the ICS update.

I believe you can, I believe it'll cause an issue with syncing FB contacts though. Don't quote me on that though. Lol :)

Butt-Dialed from my Hamburger Phone