Figured out the headphones with mic problem

Blitzkizer497

Reaction score
Okay it seemes the beats by dre and the bose mie2 dont work because of the tips u plug in. Notice on other headphones there are 2 black line thingys on the tip. On beat and bose there are three. I tried my old cord extenders wich has 2 black lines and pluged it in my phone then pluged my beats in the cord extender and bam i was able to talk on my galaxy 3 wit my beats. So people who buy top head phones make sure there is 2 black lines on the tips or buy a cord extender. If some dont understand what im saying i will make a youtub vid and explain it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The connections on the headphone plug are labeled, "Tip" which is the tip, "Ring" which is one of the flat silver rings, and the "black lines" are the insulators between the connections, and the longer back end silver portion is labeled "Sleeve". The Tip is the Left channel (and can also be the Mic input), the first Ring is the right channel (and can also be a mic input), the second Ring (if one exists) is either the Mic input by itself or a selector input such as for a button, and the Sleeve is Ground for all connections. . The plugs that have 2 black insulators are plugs with 3 electrical connections. The plugs with 3 insulators are 4 connection plugs. There are also 4 connector plugs though far less common.

Using a 4 connector plug in a 3 connection socket can result in one of the connections not being used or being shorted to ground (depending on how the plug is configured internally. This may prevent the headphones from performing all intended functions. Fortunately for you, the cord extender you had must have a slightly different configuration of the connectors such that it was able to make connection with the necessary ring to allow full functionality of your headphones. Not all cord extenders will have the same results, so it's best to stick with a pair of headphones that has the proper number of connections to match the phone's input jack.

OP
B

Blitzkizer497

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know the correct terms. Its a shame that we have to go through stuff like this. If anything all of those expensive headphones should be compatible with all phones but no. I hope this problem changes in the future.

btoafrica

Reaction score
Okay it seemes the beats by dre and the bose mie2 dont work because of the tips u plug in. Notice on other headphones there are 2 black line thingys on the tip. On beat and bose there are three. I tried my old cord extenders wich has 2 black lines and pluged it in my phone then pluged my beats in the cord extender and bam i was able to talk on my galaxy 3 wit my beats. So people who buy top head phones make sure there is 2 black lines on the tips or buy a cord extender. If some dont understand what im saying i will make a youtub vid and explain it.

I have just purchased a bowers and wilkins headphones. I am attempting to use it with my Samsung Galaxy s3 and have the same problem. The mic does not work. Where can I buy this replacement cord extender with a mic that I can use ?

WestOkid

Reaction score
Not sure if you all figured this out but the reason the mics on many headphones don't work is because Years ago Apple decided to create a " recessed headphone jack." This means that manufactures now have to make a "compatible with iPhone" headset. This allows their proprietary 3 button layout to work; Bose, Beats, Sure, they all acquiesce to Apple. After all, Apple is the king of smartphones, so if they don't someone else will. As usual, this is proprietary tech so other phone manufacturers can't just make a recessed headphone jack. This means that others are out of luck. It makes people blame the phone manufacturer and say all phones suck, but Apple. I bought a nice pair of Sol Republic headphones (highly recommend). The mic worked great with my wife's iPhone, but not with my Razr and not with my Galaxy S3. After contacting Sol, they explained the situation. They said, I needed to buy their replacement "Cleartalk Cables", which use a traditional single button setup. This works for both iPhone and Androids. Go to Amazon and you will see how everyone with an iPhone complains about the lose of functionality, while the Android users are happy. It's a shame that consumers lose out because companies try to create an eco-system that forces you to remain with their brand or lose use of your accessories.

High Definition Headphones from SOL REPUBLIC - Premium sound, style and comfort. | SOL Republic

BMGRAHAM

Reaction score
Use the other cable that came with your QC15 if that is what you have - the one that doesn't have a mike.