Factory Resetting for Dummies

Larcen26

Reaction score
Alrighty…
So problems just keep popping up with my phone (Droid 2 Global)…Pictures not saving, MP3’s not being recognized by my alarm or music player, no sound or voice when I try to use it as a (gasp) phone…so it looks like a Factory Reset is my next step…

So now I am looking for “Factory Reset for Dummies”

A few Questions:
1. I read the method in the FAQ, but it mentions hitting “X” with the power button. Does that mean slide open the keyboard and hold “X”? Or do I just not see the “X” he is talking about?

2. What is the difference between doing what is outlined above and in the FAQ, and Factory Data Reset in my Privacy Settings?

3. Before resetting, should I move anything in particular to the SD Card? I have already exported my contacts there, and I assume my music and Pictures are automatically saved there by default.

4. As an example, if I move Angry Birds to my SD card, will I keep my saved game? Or will I have to start from the beginning no matter what?

5. I have used the backup assistant…how does that help me with a Factory reset? Will it automatically replace missing information or anything like that?

6. Would it make sense to start from a clean slate with a new SD card? Or to format the one that is in the phone after transferring all the information to my PC?

7. Should I just plug my phone into my PC and flat out copy everything that shows up in the folder onto my PC? Then move it all back afterwards? Or would that just move some unwanted things that the reset may fix back onto my phone? Or would it be better to pull out the SD card and copy it directly?

8. Do I have to do anything like re-assign my phone number or G-mail address to the phone?

9. Should I remove the SD and SIM cards before doing the Reset?

10. Do I have to do anything special to get my apps to start re-downloading from the Play store?

See? Lots of questions…Very much Factory Reset for Dummies…
I appreciate your patience, understanding and help!
Thanks

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
1 yes x on keyboard
2 same thing basically
3 factory reset will not wipe sd card
4 maybe, I don't play angry birds, if you move to sd card should be good, still will have to reinstall
after wipe
5 backup assistant save contacts on verizon's server, should be able to sign back in and restore
should go to verizonwireless.com, sign in, and check contacts to be sure
I use my gmail to backup contacts, sms backup + to backup texts and call log
6 no reason to reformat sd card, unless you think it's not working correct, always good to backup sd card to pc
after you backup card, select unmount card, then format, move data back to card
7 connecting phone to pc via usb is fine unless it isn't, I've never had an issue
8 shouldn't have to reactivate phone, will have to renter gmail and anything you had to enter when you first got phone
9 no need to remove sim or sdcard
10 sign back in to play with same email, select auto-sync in account settings before wipe

if wipe doesn't fix, may need to try SBF, unless you are still under one year warranty or have insurance
what system version is your phone on 2.3.3/4.5.608 or 2.3.4/4.5.629?

edit: are you using original 8gb class 4 sd card? if not what are you using
if you are using gmail, contacts may be saved there also
go to contacts/settings/ contact storage should be a couple options
for new contacts
also may be a option to import/export contacts to sd card, not sure

Last edited:
OP
L

Larcen26

Reaction score
I am not under warranty still (as far as I know) and I can get a new phone in February, so it is definitely past a year.

what system version is your phone on 2.3.3/4.5.608 or 2.3.4/4.5.629?

My System version is listed as 4.5.629.A956

edit: are you using original 8gb class 4 sd card? if not what are you using

I am not using the original SD card. I had one in my old phone and we used that to transfer things when he set up everything in the store. I believe he gave me the card that came with the phone as well, but not sure what I did with it. The one that is in there is 4gb but not sure the class.

if you are using gmail, contacts may be saved there also
go to contacts/settings/ contact storage should be a couple options
for new contacts
also may be a option to import/export contacts to sd card, not sure

I used the import/export command do export my contacts to the SD card.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
how did it go?
sd card class is the read/write speed, 4 was stock, some have had problems with class 10
should check you might have less than class 4, that could cause problems too
View attachment 49795

OP
L

Larcen26

Reaction score
how did it go?
Well...I thought it went well...
Until yesterday when my camera went right back to not saving the pictures. It is hit or miss, just like the last time. But I just unmounted my card to check the Class and I tested the camera and it worked...No idea if the card had anything to do with it.
But the no hearing of calls and MP3 issues haven't shown up as of yet.

It says the card is a class 2. I bought another micro card, and will check on what class it is and maybe swap them out if it is higher.

I couldn't find any sort of "restore all" app function from the Play store, so I just went to the "My Apps" page and just hit "install" on all the ones I wanted again, and they loaded onto the phone overnight.

The only other thing that gives me a hint that things are not right, is that I keep shutting off the "Tag Location" option on the camera, only to have it restart on its own the next time I try to take a picture. Again, looks like this has stopped since I unmounted the card...but no guarantees.

What is the SBF you mentioned? Just in case?

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
Last edited:

pondfrogs

Reaction score
my photos are doing the same thing.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

ogtaveloke

Reaction score
if you factory reset my phone will i have to activate it again because my friend has a phone but he bought it off someone and he doesnt want some things on there and its running really slow,, and if he do reset it and have to activate it he wont be able to download any apps like text free or something,, so basically he dont want to pay a bill on it he just want to get text free apps and stuff like that!

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
if you are on verizon, just dial *228
to reactivate
edit: if it hasn't activated, before wipe, need to activate through verizon's website, call or at store

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
ogtaveloke said:
if you factory reset my phone will i have to activate it again because my friend has a phone but he bought it off someone and he doesnt want some things on there and its running really slow,, and if he do reset it and have to activate it he wont be able to download any apps like text free or something,, so basically he dont want to pay a bill on it he just want to get text free apps and stuff like that!

Welcome to DroidForums ogtaveloke! Depending on the kind of phone, you do not want to do *228. From what I understand your friend wants to use the phone without any plan, just for Wi-Fi, free texts, Skype, talk over internet, etc. He can do a fdr and bypass activation so he doesn't have an actual plan. He can then install apps that he wants from play store over Wi-Fi, text, Skype, browse internet etc over Wi-Fi. And he can use the phone for many other things when not on Wi-Fi.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

ogtaveloke

Reaction score
Welcome to DroidForums ogtaveloke! Depending on the kind of phone, you do not want to do *228. From what I understand your friend wants to use the phone without any plan, just for Wi-Fi, free texts, Skype, talk over internet, etc. He can do a fdr and bypass activation so he doesn't have an actual plan. He can then install apps that he wants from play store over Wi-Fi, text, Skype, browse internet etc over Wi-Fi. And he can use the phone for many other things when not on Wi-Fi.

but i thought since if you buy a phone new you cant download anything from the play store, so i thought the same if you do a reset?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
No. All you need to use play store is a gmail account.