Extract Files from .AB file

maslan

Reaction score
I really need some help in extracting files from an android backup file. I have moved on past the possibility of doing a restore and actually deleted some old backups. Then with a total brain fart - i deleted a bunch of stuff that should not have been. Anyway - i did the backup on 4.1 and am now running 4.2. I tried doing a restore but it was backed up before they adjusted for the /sdcard/0/0 stuff and it was a waste of time.

The ONLY things i want are the pictures and videos if at all possible. It was backed up using WugFresh tool and i did a TOTAL backup including media. It is over 7gig.

So - any developers or rescue team want to help? I would love to be able to send you the file and have you extract what i need.

Thanks for any help.

PS - i have tried the couple of things i found on internet search to pull files - but it must be me as i cant seem to get them to work so i think it is above me.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I haven't tried this myself yet but Titanium Backup Pro (paid android app) has a feature for extracting ab files. I have been trying to create a windows utility myself that does something similar but its proving to not be so easy.

I am not sure if their feature will just present you the apps or it will also make the shared data accessible.

Your other troubleshooting options are to set up your device in the state it was before (at the time you made the backup), restore your data and then backup your pics with a sync app, via drag and drop, or something like Dropbox or Google drive.. Then repeat the steps you took to get where you are now.

If you are rooted you could also try an app like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.defianttech.diskdigger

^^^Maybe try that first actually^^^

Cheers,

{{ WugFresh }}

Last edited: