Existing VZW customers NOT eligible for NE2 and have the Droid?

HardHitter

Reaction score
Ok, so I am in the same boat, I bought my Storm a little less than a year ago I believe and I'm trying to figure out how I can get the Droid cheaper. I was about to pay the full $550 for the phone until I saw this.

If I add a $9.99 line, I can get the 2 year contract. I get 19% off my bill so, that will really make that $9.99 $8 extra a month. Now if you multiply $8 by 2 years (24 months) it comes out to be an extra $192 I'm paying over two years BUT that is still way cheaper than paying $550.

Is that all you guys did, you have your main line (So my Storm line) I add a line and put the Droid to the line that the Storm is on now? Do I need to buy a POS phone for the other line (I want to sell the Storm to makeup for the Droid cost) or can I just leave it blank?

HardHitter

Reaction score
Bump for an answer!

Also, if you add a line you have to end up paying for a family plan now? I am on an individual plan, so I can't add a line without having to upgrade to a family plan?

mcb

Reaction score
I wasn't due for NE2 until late January. I got it for $199 after MIR.

HardHitter

Reaction score
So it shows that my NE2 is 8/28/10 so that means I signed up August 28th of 08 correct?

Shouldn't I be able to get a 1 year contract extension since I've been over a year?

HardHitter

Reaction score
Well I just checked my bill records and it seems as though my first bill was January 2009? So I don't quite understand how they got 8/28/10 as my two years but from what I've read, if you've spend 10 months with the service, you are elligiable for a 1 year upgrade and if 20 months, you're elligiable for a 2 year upgrade. So theoretically, I should be able to get the Droid for the 1 year cost correct?

96accord

Reaction score
Reading this make me sad :(

"Eligible for New Every Two discount on 1/21/11. Eligible to upgrade with discounted pricing on 1/21/11."

unkut

Reaction score
I JUST got the Imagio when I heard about the DROID. So this past Tuesday I put up a Ebay auction with my Imagio and it sold for $400, so I just walked into a Verizon store Friday, added a line, then cancelled my Imagio line and paid the $135 early term fee. So all together I'm $340 outta pocket!

HardHitter

Reaction score
I JUST got the Imagio when I heard about the DROID. So this past Tuesday I put up a Ebay auction with my Imagio and it sold for $400, so I just walked into a Verizon store Friday, added a line, then cancelled my Imagio line and paid the $135 early term fee. So all together I'm $340 outta pocket!

So are you on a family plan or how did you go about doing this? I am on a single plan, 450 minutes with unlimited data with my Storm. I pay $80 a month with my 19% discount. Now I know a lot of people are adding the $9.99 line and putting a cheap phone on that and getting a 2 year discount for the Droid, but if you are on a single plan, doesn't that mean you have to upgrade to a family plan? So that doesn't benefit me.

But from what I get, you basically payed the $135 contract termination fee in order to get the 2 year contract savings on the Droid? Can I do that? $135 to terminate my contract, but the Droid with a 2 year contract coming to a total of around $350ish or so, which is a lot cheaper than the $550+ of paying it out right. Do I lose my phone number though?

noles200

Reaction score
Ok, so I am in the same boat, I bought my Storm a little less than a year ago I believe and I'm trying to figure out how I can get the Droid cheaper. I was about to pay the full $550 for the phone until I saw this.

If I add a $9.99 line, I can get the 2 year contract. I get 19% off my bill so, that will really make that $9.99 $8 extra a month. Now if you multiply $8 by 2 years (24 months) it comes out to be an extra $192 I'm paying over two years BUT that is still way cheaper than paying $550.

Is that all you guys did, you have your main line (So my Storm line) I add a line and put the Droid to the line that the Storm is on now? Do I need to buy a POS phone for the other line (I want to sell the Storm to makeup for the Droid cost) or can I just leave it blank?

how are you getting 19% off your 2nd line. You may want to check that. We get 22% off the main line and data plan but not the add a lines on the family plan. I think it's pretty much the same for everyone. BTW, I've got 4 total lines and 3 data plans so I get 22% off the $110 original plan, 22% off the $30 data plan on the original line and 22% off the two other data plans but still have to pay the $9.99 on each additional line. Overall a great deal though. I understand why they don't give the disc. on the $9.99 as it's pretty cheap as is.

HardHitter

Reaction score
I possibly am not getting 19% off my 2nd line I just thought I would, but the thing I just thought about and from what I've heard is that if I "added a line" I'm going to have to get a family plan which would cancel out any savings because the cheapest family plan is $69 less my 19% discount and it isn't worth it.

So now the only way I can save on the Droid is either, #1 try to push for an early upgrade and see if Verizon will let me (mine is 12/28/09) OR pay a $175 cancellation fee and start a new contract but what I don't know is #1 will I lose my cell number and #2 is there a "cooling off" period after you terminate that you can't resign up.

jweber

Reaction score

just an FYI... The additional line charge is the only thing you do not get your discount on... and text messaging( you pay full boat for that too.) they do however make it look like your getting a discount on it when it's in your plan , but you don't... for family line unlimited text you still get hit for the full $30. You get it on the rate plan for the first 2 lines and the data plans but not on the additional line charges (3-5 cost you $9.99 each) I have a corporate discount plan as well with 4 lines on a select plan

T6D16C84

Reaction score
I upgraded from a Motorola Q to a Samsung Omnia in February. Not eligible for any sort of early upgrade. Called Verizon, told em I could get an iPhone for cheaper than the retail price of the droid. They "Checked with a supervisor" and gave me 1 year contract pricing on the phone (369.99 + 100$ mail in rebate) but gave me the rebate instant cause I couldn't purchase online due to the exception they were providing. I asked them if 269.99 was the best they could do, they came back with an additional 10% discount as a "loyalty bonus" for staying with Verizon. Bottom line 246.09$ no contract extension, no change to any of my upgrade dates and I got to sell my Omnia on eBay for 155$.... Horray!!

d.leerius

Reaction score
I received the NE2 $50 discount, in a round about way.

I bought my Droid a Best Buy on Saturday, upgrading from the 1st Gen LG EnV, and was not offered the NE2 $50 credit. I was on month 23 of my 2-year contract.

I called VZW today to ask why I did not receive the credit. She told me that my line was not eligible for the NE2 rebate because it is a secondary line at $9.99.

I 'took on' (added) a family member's line to my account, now a family package, back in January, and some idiot at VZW added the second line as the primary line, which made my line ineligible for the NE2.

After explaining that VZW was at fault for screwing up the account in the first place, I should be eligible for the NE2. She argued of course, which ticked me off even more. I told her to change the primary and secondary lines, and that I would return my Droid to Best Buy and get a new one once the account was updated. She put me on hold to talk to her supervisor, and came back and offered me a $50 credit to my account, which I accepted of course, and also told me to upgrade the family member's phone b/c it is still eligible for the NE2 b/c that line is still the primary line for another week (it is well past 2 years contract expiration). My 10 years with VZW made it easier for them to 'help me out'.

So, the family member is heading to VZW tomorrow to get a new phone with the NE2 - practically free - because the change to the account will not take effect until Friday.

I should mention that I went to the Sears website and printed out the price for current VZW customers - $179. I took that back to Best Buy for the price match.

So, the total price of my Droid: $129. That's fodder compared to what I'll be paying over the next 2 years.

Last edited:

HardHitter

Reaction score
So my annual upgrade is 12/28/09 and I e-mail Verizon trying to see if they could give it to me early and the guy responded that he suggests that I upgrade to 5.0 on the Storm (which I already have) and that I'll be eligible on the 28th of December. What should I reply back to him to try to get him to budge to allow me to order the Droid now with the discount?

Last edited:

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So my annual upgrade is 12/28/09 and I e-mail Verizon trying to see if they could give it to me early and the guy responded that he suggests that I upgrade to 5.0 on the Storm (which I already have) and that I'll be eligible on the 28th of December. What should I reply back to him to try to get him to budge to allow me to order the Droid now with the discount?

is your line the primary line?