how much community support will other Android phones have?

GrillMouster

Reaction score
My wife is itching for an android phone, but she's not eligible for a NE2 upgrade until 7/2011, and I am not paying full price and not adding a third line. She's on the secondary line of or family share plan, so she's not eligible for an annual upgrade. I am the primary on our plan and will be eligible for an annual upgrade in November or December of this year. I was thinking of upgrading to whatever will be the latest & greatest Android phone at that time (hoping the rumored Droid Pro or similar is available) and handing my current Droid to my wife at that point.

My concern is whether the other phones* would have the level of community support, custom ROMs, etc. as the Droid. I think part of that is based on what phones people like Pete and Cyanogen own.

Does anyone have thoughts on this or know which phones ROM developers plan on getting?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
see my sig. The androidworld website the admin on this website is using android world to cover the entire android platform. Its slow to come around and still being built. But right not we have root methods for a couple of devices. Check it out.

Android Forum - Home

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, IMO the success and size of the Droid community is because it was the first serious Android smartphone on VZW. I would expect many, many Droid users here to start upgrading early beginning in November and gaining momentum into the early part of 2011 and I'm sure some of the top developers here will be leading that pack.

With the Froyo roms out, the Droid is already an excellent phone and will continue to be for some time. It's simply hard for me to imagine what more it really needs, and given some hardware constraints what more can really be added - you already have flash, wireless tethering, apps on SD, overclocking, custom themes, and some excellent home launchers...ohhh, and bluetooth voice dialing support in 2.2.

I think we are very close to some apps and features that, at best, will be crowding out other stuff with a Droid already pushed to its hardware limits. But there will be plenty of options and improvements out there.

I'm not sure if all the features Gingerbread offers will come to our rooted Droids, but I do think we'll see at least a "lite" version from the developers here before they shift primary focus to newer and better phones.

You bring up an excellent point, however. I will probably resist temptation to jump on a superphone late in the year and see where the Droid community starts to migrate. Heck, I'm satisfied enough at this point to roll with the remaining 1.5 years on my contract until LTE comes to my area at which point I probably go top-of-the-line LTE at this point.

Long story short I think your wife will be more than content with the Droid until JUL'11. In fact, you might be wise to consider giving your upgrade in NOV to the wife and snagging hers the following JUL.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
My wife is itching for an android phone, but she's not eligible for a NE2 upgrade until 7/2011, and I am not paying full price and not adding a third line. She's on the secondary line of or family share plan, so she's not eligible for an annual upgrade. I am the primary on our plan and will be eligible for an annual upgrade in November or December of this year. I was thinking of upgrading to whatever will be the latest & greatest Android phone at that time (hoping the rumored Droid Pro or similar is available) and handing my current Droid to my wife at that point.

My concern is whether the other phones* would have the level of community support, custom ROMs, etc. as the Droid. I think part of that is based on what phones people like Pete and Cyanogen own.

Does anyone have thoughts on this or know which phones ROM developers plan on getting?

The Droid will have great support for the longest. Its really one of the best Android phones to date, despite all these phone being released. Also, it majority here will be upgrading to the Droid Pro. lol.
So if its anything like the original Droid, meaning stock and backed by Google, there will be a great community to back it up as well.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Motorola Droid Anything will be supported here for as long as there is a community dedicated to being here for help and support. As newer model MotoDroid phones come out at first there will be more "Look what I figured out" and "How do you do this" than straight support. As far as the MotoDroid "Classic" we know almost everything there is to know about it and how to do it all, and the information contained in this Forum will always be here, I don't think it is going anywhere

As far as support for other Android Devices ie HTC I am not sure, I just don't see coming to the Motorola Droid Forum and not being able to get support for your Motorola Droid-X-2-Pro-???

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, IMO the success and size of the Droid community is because it was the first serious Android smartphone on VZW.
+1. It's really anyone's guess as to what the next top community-supported devices will be.