Exchange and POP3 Accounts Deleting Themselves

R_Andersen

Reaction score
I'm having some problems with email on my Droid and I'm wondering if anyone has similar issues. I have set up 3 external email accounts in addition to Gmail. One exchange account and two POP3 accounts. What happens is every few days I will go into my email on the phone and all three accounts are completely gone. Gmail is still fine, but the exchange and both POP3 accounts are gone and I have to recreate each one again.

I have an issue once in a while where the phone will reset on its own and I think this coincides with when the email accounts are deleted. Also, just this morning I was in my email account on the phone and I got the "force closed" message for the email program. When I went back into email, all three accounts were gone again so it seems like it's definitely happening when the email app crashes.

I'm just wondering if anyone has similar problems or if there is any fix for this issue?

Thanks,
Rob

JayMonster

Reaction score
The POP3 client it appears is flaky at best. You may wish to try something like K-9 mail which (besides free) is a lot more stable than the included client.

Then you can try leaving your exchange alone in the main inbox and it will probably be fine. (If not you could always opt for something like touchdown, but there is a cost for that so I would try just pulling out the POP3 mails to K-9 first)

K-9 Mail
chart

K-9

s2k_848

Reaction score
I posted a thread last week about this very same issues. Others are experiencing it as well.

It's happened to me 3 times so far.

pl4tinum

Reaction score
Yes I have had this problem on 3 of my corporate (exchange) droid users phones.

K-9 mail doesn't even work, period. Force closes or gives an exception when it can't connect to the server using the same settings I give the built in mail app.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Yes I have had this problem on 3 of my corporate (exchange) droid users phones.

K-9 mail doesn't even work, period. Force closes or gives an exception when it can't connect to the server using the same settings I give the built in mail app.

Are you sure you weren't using she k-9 beta? This is the first I have heard of anybody having problems with k-9 (that is not the beta). Also developers have been very responsive to questions.

soccerlaw

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. My corporate email repeatedly throughout the day stops syncing and shows an error message connecting to the server (even though my IT staff who also have the droid have no problem with their phones connecting). Then, last night, it deleted my corporate email account and I was forced to reset. This is a nice toy, but I'm not sure I can deal with its unreliability for work.

JayMonster

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. My corporate email repeatedly throughout the day stops syncing and shows an error message connecting to the server (even though my IT staff who also have the droid have no problem with their phones connecting). Then, last night, it deleted my corporate email account and I was forced to reset. This is a nice toy, but I'm not sure I can deal with its unreliability for work.

Do you also have a POP3 account in your converged inbox?

Though I don't have "numbers" to back it up, from what I have seen the POP3 part of this is broken, and since it is a converged mailbox it takes out Exchange along with it.

That may be at least part of the reason that you are having a problem where your IT department doesn't with everything else being the same.

Just a thought.

UltimateX

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. It seems to be about every week to week and half. First time, I thought it was a fluke, second time it happened right before 2.0.1 came out, so I crossed my finger that they had fixed it. But it just happened tonight for the third time. I just downloaded TouchDown, but it looks like TouchDown doesn't support POP3, for my personal account.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. It seems to be about every week to week and half. First time, I thought it was a fluke, second time it happened right before 2.0.1 came out, so I crossed my finger that they had fixed it. But it just happened tonight for the third time. I just downloaded TouchDown, but it looks like TouchDown doesn't support POP3, for my personal account.

Try downloading K-9 Mail for your POP3 mail. (Make sure you get the application and not the beta edition)

merrillfei

Reaction score
Deleting my email from droid and server

I have been using IMAP just fine. I changed over to POP3 so I could delete messages from the server. It worked fine for a bit, but now it deletes ALL of my email from both the phone and the server. Can't find it anywhere. Is this a bug? I guess I should go back to IMAP and just delete from the server on my computer. Any ideas?

smgoma

Reaction score
Use Gmail for POP3

Probably easier to set up your POP3 account in Gmail and use the native Gmail app. Also, Touchdown works great for Exchange. Don't understand why some have Exchange problems and others don't.

cervach

Reaction score