So now what for POP3 mail?

mbmarsh

Reaction score
So I'm almost at my wits end - the native POP3 client doesn't work worth a damn, since after about a day it requires a reboot to start pulling email again. So, the solution everyone pointed to was to set up Gmail to check my POP3 accounts, and then they would be delivered to my Droid in the Gmail app. S

Set this up, it worked fine until about two weeks ago, when now Gmail won't check the POP accounts with any kind of regularity. And before you ask, at least one of them gets messages every day. Right now, in Gmail, both accounts say they were last checked 6 days ago. In that time, at least 100 emails have come into one of those accounts, but they were never downloaded into Gmail, and thus, never on my phone.

So, if the native email client won't work for any length of time, and the Gmail POP checker won't work, how the heck am I supposed to get POP3 email on my ^&*$^#&@* Droid? I have Touchdown for Exchange, but it doesn't handle POP, and I'm not going to forward all my POP mail to my work email address.

And whoever the stooge is who keeps pumping K9 mail, don't even try it here - that application is a train wreck, and I'm not using it.

Please help - email seems to be an afterthought on this phone, and every workaround seems to fail.

Daver

Reaction score
My gf's Mom's droid is in the same boat, as a last ditch effort last night I installed and set her up with K9...I'm not too optimistic after reading your post now lol. Hopefully someone helps us out...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The best way to get your mail is to forward it through gmail. If you go to gmail on line and go to the settings you will see settings on the upper right. Click on that and then investigate the accounts and imports and forwarding pop imap. There are links to step you through the process of properly setting up your mail so you can receive it through gmail.

OP
M

mbmarsh

Reaction score
Not clear?

Maybe I'm not being clear - I already have my POP emails set up to be pulled into Gmail. That worked fine for a few weeks, but now Gmail won't check those accounts with ANY kind of frequency - 6 days since last check. So those POP emails aren't getting into Gmail, much less to my Droid.....

Jackattack

Reaction score
No Problems here

I use the standard email account set up and have had no problems for the past month; I even receive my emails faster than my work server can send them to my pc.

I also have two email accounts set up 1 for work and another personal (Time Warner Roadrunner account) I have customized both to automatically push emails to my phone and have separate alerts that correspond with its account.

It has worked flawlessly, Comment back on exactly what you are trying to accomplish, what type of email are you trying to receive (Yahoo ? AOL? etc....)

Maybe I can help you walk through the setup process, or maybe you are trying something completely different that I use...

Don’t know hopefully I can help.

Silver Member
Reaction score
OP, what happens when you do a "check now" in gmail?

Daver

Reaction score
I don't want to hijack his thread, but I know for me, forcing a sync doesn't work. I have her phone set up the same as mine, and mine has zero issues even after ROM flashes etc...Weird.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Not much help, but my Gmail pulls my pop3 every hour on the hour just like I set it up. I also have it show my pop3 addy when I mail or reply to someone.

OP
M

mbmarsh

Reaction score
It has worked flawlessly, Comment back on exactly what you are trying to accomplish, what type of email are you trying to receive (Yahoo ? AOL? etc....)

Maybe I can help you walk through the setup process, or maybe you are trying something completely different that I use...

I'm using Road Runner too - with the standard email app, it will retrieve emails for approximately one day, then will stop delivering emails until I reboot the phone. My other account is a Centurylink account. I have both setup to leave emails on the server, so I can delete them off my phone, and download them on my PC later when I have time to deal with them.

When I do a "Check Now" in Gmail it will retrieve emails, send them to my phone, and then almost immediately stop checking my accounts for another several days.

I'm not sure about the IMAP piece - where are you asking if I have IMAP enabled?

Jackattack

Reaction score
Everything you say seems to check out with how I do it... I have no problems. If you are able to receive them after initial set-up I do not know why you it would stop after a day?

Have you checked under settings in "Accounts & sync settings" , what do you have you settings at. I have mine to auto-sync, this makes it so I never have to go into Gmail and have them forwarded to my phone... I also have background data checked. It should list you two accounts and have a green sync symbol similar to a recycle symbol on the right and say Sync is on....

Let me know.... We will figure it out eventually

myriad46

Reaction score
Just switch to Gmail as your primary email program. Much better than road runner webmail, IMO. You could switch the incoming emails that you know already, whatever they are that you are recieving daily, and have your road runner forward all email to your gmail account to pick up the stragglers. 7 gigs of storage and no backup required. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Jackattack

Reaction score
Just switch to Gmail as your primary email program. Much better than road runner webmail, IMO. You could switch the incoming emails that you know already, whatever they are that you are recieving daily, and have your road runner forward all email to your gmail account to pick up the stragglers. 7 gigs of storage and no backup required. Sounds like a good plan to me.

This should not be neccesary, yet another work around.

I use all the stock email setup and applications and have had no problem I am sure it is just a set up thing. If I can manage to get it to work anyone should with a bit of effort. I am pretty new at this stuff and have no problems with it yet... Knock on wood.... "The DROID does"

myriad46

Reaction score

See...to me, using a POP email account like Road Runner is a work around. Time to join the rest of the world in "The Cloud."

Jackattack

Reaction score

See...to me, using a POP email account like Road Runner is a work around. Time to join the rest of the world in "The Cloud."

In my case I had an established email account set up with roadrunner prior to Gmail. To switch everything over was going to be a huge task so I simply added the account to my droid and it works great.

Everyone’s needs and wants are different this guy appears to only want to have his roadrunner account forwarded to his Droid, I am only trying to help.

No need to hi-jack this thread over personal opinions on how you receive or what email service you use.

I will leave the decision up to the requester and help if I can. Just my 2 cents.