EvolveSMS 4.0 Brings Easy Android Wear Integration To Your Device and More

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

One of my least favorite apps on my Verizon devices has to be that annoying Verizon SMS app. It has to be the bloatiest sms app of all time. After I receive my first text message I remember the app is set as the default text message app, and find myself grabbing an alternative app. Most Samsung phones come with a stock text messaging app, and while the Samsung app is not as annoying its just kind of blah. The same can be said for the Motorola and HTC stock sms apps.

A great alternative sms app is the Evolve SMS app. The latest version 4.0 update includes full Android Wear integration. This app is also supported on Android Marshmallow so if you are running the developer preview this would be one of the few SMS apps you could actually use. There is even support for fingerprint authentication if you have a phone with a fingerprint scanner. Head to the link below for the download.

via Play Store

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I really have liked this app in the past, but I always seem to have MMS issues with it, particularly receiving MMS messages from people. Normally I would assume it's just the network, however since switching to Textra, I have not had any issues with receiving MMS messages. The odd thing with Evolve is, I would still get a notification vibration from my phone, however no message was ever received. Very strange behavior from this app sometimes, in my experience. The UI is flawless though.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I haven't tried EvolveSMS in sometime but always liked their Sliding Messaging app - installed this app last night after seeing DMX's post and well the app has made it thru the night - definitely some good things with this app :)...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thinking I'll try it out. Wondering about the wear support.

I was so happy when hangouts added the ability to check out conversations without having to wait for someone to text you, but then they broke sms.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Thinking I'll try it out. Wondering about the wear support.

I was so happy when hangouts added the ability to check out conversations without having to wait for someone to text you, but then they broke sms.

The Wear support is pretty sweet, I must say. You can open it up like you would on your phone and view all your conversations and open them to read the content. Pretty cool improvement over what you described with Hangouts, used to have to wait to get a text and even then you only got a recent recap of the conversation, not the whole thing.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
They added the ability to launch hangouts on the watch & see all conversations in the last big hangouts update. It was nice, but they destroyed mms because of stage fright.

I'm in a constant group message (that sends as mms) & have to be able to get those messages in a timely manner, so I had to look elsewhere even though hangouts for my needs quite nicely.

Evolve seems snappy. Idk if I like the conversation list not taking up the entire window yet, but maybe it'll grow on me.

As for the wear support, it's all good, but the group messages don't show who said what. My messages are right justified & everyone else's are left justified. Hopefully that'll improve. Better wear support then textra though.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Well, there are a few tweaks in the settings if you don't like that the conversations are full screen. There may even be a setting to have it take up the whole screen, but that may have been Sliding Messaging, I forget. You can also set it to pin the conversation list to the left, so it just shows each person's contact picture in a compact window to the left for easy access. You can also set it to open the app to the conversation drawer.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yup. Been there. Done that. I set it to open to the conversation drawer. What I don't know if I like is that the drawer doesn't cover the entire conversation below it. I'm used to other apps that launch to the conversation list right away and the list takes up the whole width of the app.

Not a deal breaker. Just something I'm not used to.