Estrongs File Explorer

Baconstrip

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just wanted to sing the praises of Estrongs file explorer over Astro. When I first got my droid, I read everywhere that Astro was a must have program, that it was the best manager, etc etc. I honestly wasn't overly happy with the program for some reason and went in search of another file manager.

I stumbled across Estrongs and I have to say it is definitely amazing. Not only does it have a much nicer display mode (details!), but it has a zip feature, and best of all, it allows you to connect to your PC's over wifi and transfer files. Just put in the ip address of your networked PC that you want to access, then the PC's username\login and you're in. Worked like a charm.

Give it a try!

normwerner

Reaction score
I can certainly second these praises for the Estrong File Manager. I am able to integrate my Droid seemless ly into my WIFI network and move files back and forth between it and my PC. Great stuff. MOstoif the problems that I have had were due to pilot error and a steep learning curve.

Norm

Norm

volando

Reaction score
wow that program is awesome, i've been looking for a file manage of that type -> you can almost feel like you're in windows explorer if you turn on all the details...

A problem though: I want to play music/video files FROM this file manager, however if i launch them, i can't seem to background the player. As soon as you press home or switch to any other app (even advanced task killer) the music stops! I want it to behave just like if you'd click on an mp3 in windows explorer... not sure whether this is a bug or a feature...

Realistic

Reaction score
Do I have to set up some kind of server program on my computer? Samba or something? I'm reading up as I go along here.

the_kwa

Reaction score
the way i'm reading it, you type in you IP in the server box. I have a user name for my pc but no password. I type in my user name and leave the password box blank. Doesn't seem to work for me.

Realistic

Reaction score
I keep getting an error then it force closes. Ip address is what i found doing a ipconfig in cmd entered my user and password. I'm using windows 7 this wouldn't have anything to do with it?

the_kwa

Reaction score
well, now it's not letting me in with a user name and password..

i REALLY want this app to work

the_kwa

Reaction score
anyone what to help me figure out what i'm doing wrong?:)

msheldon

Reaction score
Possibilities
1. You did configure your computer to share a folder, right?
2. This will likely only work if your Droid is on a Wifi network that your computer can talk to. I can't imagine this working over the 3G, and even if it did, that would be a *bad thing* for your computer.
3. Have you tested from another computer to see if you can access the share? Preferably one on the same Wifi network as your droid.

I did have a weirdness with mine once. It connected, and I transferred files. But shortly after, the connection dropped, and nothing I did could get it to work again, even deleting the config and setting it back up again. I ended up configuring it for a different IP (my computer has multiple IP addresses), and it's worked fine ever since.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1. Make sure you leave the " smb:// " with the IP address.

2. Make sure you have a password set for the Main Account on your PC. (Admin)

3. :greendroid:Check your user name on your PC:greendroid: (Admin account). This was my problem. Though I have my Admin account named "Scott" it shows up as "User" when I try to set permissions for sharing for an individual user. The other accounts on my computer show up with the correct name but my admin account ("Scott") isn't listed. It is actually the "User" account. I tried entering 'admin', 'administrator', 'Scott', etc for my login name to the server on my DROID and it never worked. I tried "User" and it worked.

4. I didn't have to alter firewall setting but I did for another app called GmoteServer but that required a server download on my PC whereas EStrong doesn't require that.

Last edited: