Best fiel manager: Astro or ES File Explorer?

Monstrosity

Reaction score
Best file manager: Astro or ES File Explorer?

Which, in your opinion, is best to use?

Last edited:

Aximtreo

Reaction score
I use Astro and like it a lot. I tend to use something that is easy and intuitive and this program meets both of these criteria.:)

Tim K

Reaction score
I use Astro. Downloaded ES yesterday, seemed nice, but then noticed its one of those apps that force loads on startup. I have too many apps now that do that and my Droid was so bogged down after turning it on that there was a 2 second delay between hitting a shortcut and hearing the click and opening. I had to task kill at least half a dozen apps including ES. I emailed a bunch of devs about NOT forcing their apps to load on startup or at least giving users the option to disable it.

Silver Member
Reaction score
how does ES force load? i've never seen it open except when i open it????

doesn't ASTRO include selection integration? like if you want to add an attachment, ASTRO will let you browse to any file and attach it. ES doesn't allow this.

but then, i can't remember if ASTRO allows for remote browsing, which ES does.

Tim K

Reaction score
If you go to settings > applications > manage applications and choose any program. Scroll to the bottom and click on Show All. Under system tools It will tell you if an app loads on start.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use OI File Manager because it is considerably smaller than Astro. Haven't had any complaints.

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you go to settings > applications > manage applications and choose any program. Scroll to the bottom and click on Show All. Under system tools It will tell you if an app loads on start.
you're reading into it wrong. those comments are what the applications NEEDS in order to fully function, provided they are set through the application. one of the options in ES is the ability to auto start. by default, this selection is not checked and therefore, ES does not auto start at boot.

you can verify this with any task manager. if you exit ES, it is no longer running.

Tim K

Reaction score
Yes, that gives the app permission to load on start. And if you open any task manager after startup you can see what apps are running...and on my droid, one of them was ES. I didn't see an option in the program to disable it...did I miss that? I will re-load and check.

Another app I used, "note everything" also has permission to load at startup and does load at startup. It appears in the task manager at startup. I even emailed the dev and he confirmed it does load on startup. But at least he had a reason...apparently NE handles some tasks and reminders and thus has to check on startup to see if anything is due. He also claims it immediately closes after checking.

I don't see any reason ES would need to load on startup so I removed the app. Simply put, I don't care to have all sorts of apps loading on startup...I do the same thing with startup apps on my PC's.