Eris randomly restarts while charging, (along with some other problems.) Help please!

monkeyhihi

Reaction score
I got my Eris back in December 2009, and it's served me somewhat faithfully since. This past school year, the phone's trackball has been slowly getting worse with the infamous "left scrolling" issue with the trackball. In addition, the phone would sometimes randomly restart, although this was a rare issue.

About a month ago, I accidentally had one of "those" moments, and I dropped my Eris into the toilet. Since the 1-year warranty had already expired, I took it apart, vacuumed out the water, and let the phone sit for a day in a sealed container with a large packet of desiccant. The screen was a little foggy for a few days, but it eventually cleared up, and I thought the phone was back to normal. After about a week or two, the phone's trackball got worse than ever, and I now constantly have to suffer period of a few seconds to 10-15 minutes without being able to input anything to my phone because the scroll bar keeps going to the left. It pretty much makes doing anything on the phone impossible. I physically removed the trackball, and while it makes the left-scrolling issue more bearable, now I can't use the trackball when it would otherwise work. That's a minor annoyance however.

What IS troubling me has occurred in the past few days. When I charge my Eris, sometimes the phone will randomly restart. I've taken some time to watch it if I leave it plugged in, the phone will restart AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN, ad infinitum. When my phone does this, none of the alarms I set work, and I'm doomed to over-sleep if my phone's alarms won't wake me up.

So I ask you guys, what could be the problem with my phone, and how can I make it go away? I need the alarm functionality of the phone to wake me up, and I can't replace the phone since it's out of warranty.

tl;dr: My phone sometimes gets stuck in a cycle of repeated restarts when I leave in plugged in to charge. When I leave my phone plugged in overnight to go to sleep, the phone will sometimes keep restarting itself over and over, so that the alarms don't work and I don't wake up. Help??

OP
M

monkeyhihi

Reaction score
Rooted, but the trackball issue persists even on original ROMs, unrooted. Stock charger. Phone's only hot to the touch if I'm heavily using it, and if it's plugged in.