Ericsson Seeking US Import Ban Against Samsung

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ericsson-vs-samsung-logos.jpg

When you are at the top of the heap, it certainly seems like everyone wants to either knock you off or at least take some of your lunch money. That is what is happening to Samsung right now. They managed to oust Apple as the reigning global king of mobile smartphones just recently, and now everyone is coming out of the shadows to take a shot at them. While Samsung is busy defending itself from and counter-attacking Apple in over a dozen courts around the world, it looks like they will have to fend off an attack from Ericsson as well.

Ericsson, the Swedish telecoms gear maker and former partner with Sony, has just filed suit in the US against Samsung asking for an import ban on Samsung products. This report did not specify which specific Samsung products were named, but Ericsson claims that several of Samsung's devices infringe upon their patents. Here's a quote with some additional detail,

The request from Ericsson, which said on Monday the products infringe on its patents, came after it sued Samsung for patent infringement in a U.S. court last week.

"The request for an import ban is a part of the process. An import ban is not our goal. Our goal is that they (Samsung) sign license agreements on reasonable terms," spokesman Fredrik Hallstan said.

Ericsson said last week it was suing Samsung after talks failed to reach agreement on terms that were fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (FRAND) over patents.

Samsung said it would defend itself against the lawsuit, adding that Ericsson had asked for "prohibitively higher royalty rates to renew the same patent portfolio".

So, basically it looks like Ericsson originally had a FRAND patent arrangement with Samsung, but now that Sammy is raking in the dough at the top of the food chain, Ericsson wants to have a bigger piece of the pie. I guess that's the order of business for the business world. It's like a cut-throat gladiatorial combat arena...

Source: Reuters

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Seems to me like Ericson is just trying to drum up publicity... even negative press is press.. last time I even owned an Ericson device was way back when the z525 was out... and they were paired with Sony.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
A Cypress Hill song comes to mind when I read that;

B-Real said:
Alot of a...sharks out there...try'na take a bite of somethin'
What's hot
Lot of chameleons out there...try'na change up
Anytime somethin' new comes along...everybody wants a bite
Don't happen overnight

Tillmorn

Reaction score
If they already had a FRAND agreement with Samsung, how could they now be trying to sue? Wouldn't that potentially be in violation of their current terms? Seems that any lawyer worth their salt would have included some type of clause that prohibits such actions. But perhaps that does not imply if these are patents outside the original agreement...

molanjames

Reaction score
Another reson, how (non iOS users) people buying r preferring to buy htc,Sony,lg, mobile,, people feels like, they r ashamed of using Shamesung products

jayman350

Reaction score
Another reson, how (non iOS users) people buying r preferring to buy htc,Sony,lg, mobile,, people feels like, they r ashamed of using Shamesung products

what world does that make sense in? Hasn't GS3 broken all sorts of sales records, and now the Note II is blowing up as well. Doesn't seem like people are ashamed of using Samsung at all.

I agree that I think this is just Ericsson trying to drum up publicity

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
If they already had a FRAND agreement with Samsung, how could they now be trying to sue? Wouldn't that potentially be in violation of their current terms? Seems that any lawyer worth their salt would have included some type of clause that prohibits such actions. But perhaps that does not imply if these are patents outside the original agreement...

Thats my thoughts. It sounds like extortion. They signed an agreement but now that Samsung is big, they want more money or are going to try to put a ban in place. F Erricson.

what world does that make sense in? Hasn't GS3 broken all sorts of sales records, and now the Note II is blowing up as well. Doesn't seem like people are ashamed of using Samsung at all.

Pretty much. I see more than enough S3s in on the street to say no one cares. They are selling millions and millions and it keeps going up. Most people outside the Android community really have no idea about all the lawsuits and stuff.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552

And nevermind the number of people walking around with Galaxy Nexus still. Or any number of older Samsung products that they still love, like all those tablets.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
i cant get passed the title.... ericsson still exists? lololol

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last time I owned an Ericsson product they weren't owned by Sony and they were made near Lynchburg Va. It's been that long ago

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

R

RETG

So, basically it looks like Ericsson originally had a FRAND patent arrangement with Samsung, but now that Sammy is raking in the dough at the top of the food chain, Ericsson wants to have a bigger piece of the pie. I guess that's the order of business for the business world. It's like a cut-throat gladiatorial combat arena...

Source: Reuters

The theory of taking from those with big pockets is not exclusive to the business world. People sue other people, and businesses every day and juries give them money based on the model that if they have big pockets, they can afford to lose money.