Samsung Steps Up Counter-Attack Against Apple with U.S. Patent Lawsuits

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
white_iphone_4_vs_galaxy_s_ii_sg_11.jpg

There's more fuel to the fire with the Samsung counter-suing Apple story. In what Samsung is describing as “continuing to respond actively to the legal action taken against us,” they have stepped-up their counter-attack against Apple by adding a U.S. Patent infringement lawsuit to the mix. If you will remember from the previous story, their original counter-suit was only in Europe and Asia, but now they've filed another in San Jose, California, federal court, again citing 10 patent infringements.

Here's a quote from the SlashGear article,
According to Samsung, the ten patents “relate to fundamental innovations that increase mobile device reliability, efficiency, and quality, and improve user interface in mobile handsets and other products.” That includes simultaneous voice calls and browsing, ways to boost mobile network capacity, and other performance tweaks. “Apple continues to violate Samsung’s patent rights by using these patented technologies without a license” the company maintains.
It would seem that Samsung isn't backing down without a hard fight. It's hard to fault Samsung for defending themselves, but it just seems like a huge waste of money from both companies. Imagine what further innovations or improvements in customer service they could provide if they would spend their energy more constructively.

Source: Android.net via SlashGear

DaWolf85

Reaction score
My aunt's a patent lawyer, I bet she loves reading this news lol

sidsixseven

Reaction score
It's hard to fault Samsung for defending themselves, but it just seems like a huge waste of money from both companies. Imagine what further innovations or improvements in customer service they could provide if they would spend their energy more constructively.
Lawyers are cheap in comparison to the potential payout of these billion dollar lawsuits. I feel like sometimes these companies just sue each other as a big gamble to see if they can wrangle out some money from each other.

If you felt like you had only a 30% chance of winning, would you still place a $15 bet for a potential $500 payout? I would. I think that's what is happening here just at a much grander scale.

the86d

Reaction score
Apple needs to actually TRY AND DO BETTER than Android with less of a crappy interface, instead of trying to sue everyone!

Beardface

Reaction score
It's hard to fault Samsung for defending themselves, but it just seems like a huge waste of money from both companies. Imagine what further innovations or improvements in customer service they could provide if they would spend their energy more constructively.
Lawyers are cheap in comparison to the potential payout of these billion dollar lawsuits. I feel like sometimes these companies just sue each other as a big gamble to see if they can wrangle out some money from each other.

If you felt like you had only a 30% chance of winning, would you still place a $15 bet for a potential $500 payout? I would. I think that's what is happening here just at a much grander scale.
That, and if Apple gets slammed with a guilty verdict and has to completely redevelop their brand or continually pay royalties to Samsung (or whoever sues them) as they use that design, can you imagine how much of a PR hit that would be?

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
...if Apple gets slammed with a guilty verdict and has to completely redevelop their brand or continually pay royalties to Samsung (or whoever sues them) as they use that design, can you imagine how much of a PR hit that would be?

What a glorious glow of schadenfreude that would be!

Asperity

Reaction score
That, and if Apple gets slammed with a guilty verdict and has to completely redevelop their brand or continually pay royalties to Samsung (or whoever sues them) as they use that design, can you imagine how much of a PR hit that would be?

Won't happen. Worst case scenario is they settle out of court and end up licensing whatever patents are infringed. Apple is Samsung's second largest client (largest according to Tim Cook). It makes no business sense for Samsung to attempt to destroy the Apple brand. None whatsoever.

60lpsdf250

Reaction score

This is exactly what happened in the late '80s and late '90s. Ailing companies that were dying would "shotgun" lawsuits on contractors, vendors, etc. to see what sh!t would stick as a last-ditch effort to keep their head above water. If the little folks couldn't defend themselves, they would settle... thus a win (however minor it seemed at the time).
This is weird. Both of these dictators are fully whole. Very confusing.