Email retrieval Problems

DroidZ06

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out?

Why don't I receive a notification that I have an e-mail? It seems to be I used to get it anywhere from immediately to 15 minutes later. Now I'm not getting a notification at all.

I tried resolving this through settings and the lowest time I can set it to retrieve emails is 15 minutes. But it doesn't even retrieve them. I can to open my e-mail and click on the refresh button to receive new e-mails

Any help? Is this a common problem?

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Are you talking about Gmail or another app? I get notifications all the time with Gmail and the only settings I can find are for what tone I want or if I want the phone to vibrate too. Is the Droid 1 and Droid 2 that much different. I can not find a setting for how often to check.

I read yesterday that Gmail checks at least every 5 min for new mail.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Always, always include the email account type and app. We're not all using the same thing and this info is very important to those attempting to assist.

From context, this sounds like a POP account but it's pointless to assume.

I read yesterday that Gmail checks at least every 5 min for new mail.
Gmail is push if configured properly for push. You can certainly set up gmail with pull.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
In the app drawer go to "Messaging" app. Menu>Message SettingsEmail>Email DeliveryCheck Make sure it is checked. then open Fetch schedule and choose how often you want it done. You may have the "Manual" checked.

That is on a droid 2, Hope the 1 is the same.

OP
DroidZ06

DroidZ06

Reaction score
I have it checked for every 15 minutes. It wasn't on manual. I have have the Data Push checked. What is this for? It just says that if Data push is not available it would use the fetch option.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
I am at the end of my knowledge on the subject. I just know if AOL, in your case, does not push your email to the phone, then the phone will pull from AOL every 15 min. That is my understanding. My main email is Gmail, but I have an AOL and MSN address as well and sometimes I get my mail from them and sometimes I don't. Ha! I just use them for stuff I do not want replies from in the first place. That does not solve your problem though.

I am to the "brain dead" point of my day. I will keep monitoring this thread and if you have not solved the problem by tomorrow morning, I will do some research on the subject and see if I can help you. Sorry, we can not clear this up now. I would suggest that you get out of the General thread and go search in the Droid specific threads.

It has been my experience that goggling a problem produces more results than a search on the forum. The answers usually are in the forum someplace but the search engine looks for the words you use, while Google or any other search engine uses the tags that the thread starter uses.

Good luck.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Here is what I found. I set up my AOL account on my phone and it went fine. In my accounts touch your aol account then touch incoming server. Mine says:

imap.aol.com
port 993
my user name
password
and then the Use secure connection and Verify Certificate are checked.

Back button
touch Outgoing Server
stmp.aol.com
Port 465
and the two things have checks.

My mail started rolling in right away.

If that fails then I found this alternative for in your browser :
AOL Mail - android App - android Applications from AOL Mobile

That is about all I can find. If you have the same port numbers as above, you could delete the account and reenter it, perhaps something has been corrupted in your current setup.