Push AOL E-mail on DROID through Gmail?

Droid128

Reaction score
from what i've read in reviews so far, only exchange and gmail will offer the push notifications like bb did for everything else. i will miss that about my bb, it was always on top at sending me notifications within seconds whether it be email or facebook. but in the end, there will always be some things that u must give up, to get everything u want!

hopefully in the near future, android will support a better system much like RIM when it comes to speedy notifications.

OP
L

Latefordinner

Reaction score
Kludging Push?

That's why I was trying to find some way to kludge push AOL E-mail. I set up Gmail, as an experiment, to import E-mails automatically from a second AOL account, but so far it has failed to import the single test E-mail that I had sent to that AOL account. I called AOL technical support, whose representative told me that only about a quarter of those who attempt to have Gmail import AOL E-mail succeed. He suggested trying Outlook, which he described as the only program that can manage the importing of AOL E-mails without making them disappear from one's AOL mailbox, but I have Windows 7. I think Microsoft Live Mail, or something like that, has replaced Outlook. Verizon's tech support, for that matter, had no idea what to do.

Surely I am not the only one trying to get push AOL E-mail through a Droid. There must be some way to get AOL to forward its E-mails to Gmail (or to get Gmail to pull all the AOL E-mails), permitting Gmail to push them to a Droid. And there must be some way of responding to Gmail-pushed (or -pulled) E-mails with the Droid while keeping a record of the sent E-mails in AOL. Any thoughts?

shrugger

Reaction score
Again, wouldn't the easier, more stable, and more supportable option be to change your email address? AOL email isn't the most reliable, and like you said, even they admit it doesn't play well with most software out there. Maybe you could use the new phone as the perfect excuse to get a new start on your email address?

iamloco724

Reaction score
yes the best option is to change email but like for me i have so many things under this address that would have to be changed to gmail it would be such a chore to do ive had the same email address for over 7 years so theres alot of lists im on and what not so its not as easy as just switching

jackmccarron

Reaction score
Thanks very much. I will look forward to your update. You have expressed my concern: that the DROID will have to check for AOL E-mail every so many minutes. That is why I was hoping that I could make Gmail pull my AOL E-mail constantly and immediately forward it to the DROID and that, when I responded on the DROID, Gmail could route the responses through AOL so that I would have a record on AOL of sent E-mails.

Hey Late4dinner - Here we are many months later...did you ever get a full resolution to your question? I'm getting a droid x next week and have the same desire you did (want to keep aol mail on my pc, but route it quickly to/from my droid while keeping all the email records all on my pc in aol).

Please respond if you've learned any more that this thread provided.

Thx,
Jack

iamloco724

Reaction score
Thanks very much. I will look forward to your update. You have expressed my concern: that the DROID will have to check for AOL E-mail every so many minutes. That is why I was hoping that I could make Gmail pull my AOL E-mail constantly and immediately forward it to the DROID and that, when I responded on the DROID, Gmail could route the responses through AOL so that I would have a record on AOL of sent E-mails.

Hey Late4dinner - Here we are many months later...did you ever get a full resolution to your question? I'm getting a droid x next week and have the same desire you did (want to keep aol mail on my pc, but route it quickly to/from my droid while keeping all the email records all on my pc in aol).

Please respond if you've learned any more that this thread provided.

Thx,
Jack

hey i suggest using k-9 email app..it pushes my aol email to my droid almost instantly