Email messages disappear

Sherry

Reaction score
I am using K9 Mail and pulling from the GoDaddy server. I have the same problem using the client email program. The issue is that my email just disappears and I have lost many messages I wanted to keep. This seems to be a rather recent development. These are fixes I have tried.
1 - POP mail, directly from GoDaddy secureserver, selected leave messages on server (results - lost messages on both server & phone)
2 - IMAP mail, same as above
3 - Set up Gmail and pulled from GoDaddy with instructions to leave the mail on server, then pulled email on phone from GMail. (same results)
Understand not all messages are lost but enough important ones to be concerned.
I also pull from GoDaddy from my windows based computer.
This worked fine until recently, always worked well on my smartphone.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have sent a message to K9Mail but have not gotten a response.
Thanks!! :icon_eek:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I use K-9 as well. My understanding of this issue is that these email programs, the native one and K-9 which works off the native one, don't acutally download and retain emails in the traditional sense. Think of their actions as more of a sync with your email server. So, once you download the emails to your pc/mac, they disappear from the server and then when K-9 checks the server, it makes them disappear from your Droid so it matches the state of the server. Does that make sense? In other words remove them from the server and they get removed from the Droid the next time K-9 checks for emails.

The Gmail program doesn't work like this. So if there's an email you want to retain on the Droid, forward it to Gmail.

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use K-9 as well. My understanding of this issue is that these email programs, the native one and K-9 which works off the native one, don't acutally download and retain emails in the traditional sense. Think of their actions as more of a sync with your email server. So, once you download the emails to your pc/mac, they disappear from the server and then when K-9 checks the server, it makes them disappear from your Droid so it matches the state of the server. Does that make sense? In other words remove them from the server and they get removed from the Droid the next time K-9 checks for emails.

The Gmail program doesn't work like this. So if there's an email you want to retain on the Droid, forward it to Gmail.
unless K9 has implemented something different, this is not the correct protocol for POP3 communication. a POP3 transfer is simply a download of a message, almost like an FTP, if you will.

if you've set instructions to leave messages on the server, the application using POP3 to download the messages should not be removing the messages after a download.

there is no "sync" in the POP3 world. if messages are available to be downloaded from a server, the POP3 client will download every single message available.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not saying K-9 removes messages from the server. I'm saying it removes messages from K-9 if those messages have already been removed from the server. It "seems" to be acting more like a sync than a traditional download and retain on the Droid. I do not know the technical end of this, but I do know that I can have messages in K-9, then go to pc and download those messages from the server (where they are set to delete after download) and I can then watch them disappear from the K-9 the next time it checks that pop3 account.

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying K-9 removes messages from the server. I'm saying it removes messages from K-9 if those messages have already been removed from the server. It "seems" to be acting more like a sync than a traditional download and retain on the Droid. I do not know the technical end of this, but I do know that I can have messages in K-9, then go to pc and download those messages from the server (where they are set to delete after download) and I can then watch them disappear from the K-9 the next time it checks that pop3 account.
this is an exclusive action to K9, then, or your email is setup as IMAP instead of POP3. this is not normal behavior for POP3 accounts.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I tried K9...didn't like it. Been using Touchdown ever since, It's never let me down.

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Reaction score
Thanks all - will look into Touchdown. But maybe I wasn't clear, the messages are disappearing off the server on Godaddy. Some messages show up on my phone, then some show up on my pc. then some just magically disappear. I never had this problem until vry recently don't know what changed.

hmolina

Reaction score
Use MailDroid instead for K-9, Gmail or android mail

I am using ICS on Samsung Galaxy S II. It is not a Droid but I have had same issue with email messages gone after reading it few seconds. They are not removed from the server but they are gone from my android device with not reason. I tried MailDroid software and it works perfect. I guess it is becouse it is not based on the android mail client. I configured MailDroid to use my gmail account using POP (not IMAP) and I am now receiving a copy of every new message from the server, all messages are kept in my device and never gone (unless I do it manually of course).