Outlook E-mail set-up with droid

djsmooth56

Reaction score
I have been trying to research this with no luck so here goes:

My small company uses Godaddy.com's webmail (email.secureserver.net) for our e-mail services. My work PC has outlook 2007 set up to pull (and delete) messages from the godaddy server via pop/smtp. We have a limited amount of space on godaddy (50mb) so I elected to have outlook delete the mail as it is downloaded to avoid maxing out my space. For the past 2 years, I have had a vx6800 with verizon wireless sync on my pc to monitor my outlook and duplicate it on my phone. This has worked great because everything I do on my phone is duplicated on the pc and vice versa (only a few limited issues that seemed to be glitches in the system).

Here is my question:
Since getting the droid last week, I have been unable to duplicate this e-mail set-up. I found a way to have my godaddy account forwarded to gmail, but it takes a long time for the mail to get to me and once it is on the droid, it is not duplicated on my pc so there is a lot of double e-mails, no log of the sent items, none of my file folders from outlook, etc. I really like the other functions of the Droid, but this e-mail situation is killing me. I am really considering going back to a wm based phone like the htc imagio. any anyone help me out with this e-mail problem? If you could provide detailed info as to how to set up the e-mail on the droid that would be excellent.

Thanks in advanced.

fishepa

Reaction score
How exactly do you have the email set up on the phone, are you using POP3? You should be able to set up the account the same exact way on the phone and it should fetch the mail from the server.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
...not if Outlook isn't leaving mail on the server.

I found a way to have my godaddy account forwarded to gmail, but it takes a long time for the mail to get to me and once it is on the droid, it is not duplicated on my pc so there is a lot of double e-mails, no log of the sent items, none of my file folders from outlook, etc.
I'm new to the Droid but I doubt, given how email works, that you're going to get your Outlook folders replicated on the Droid. The Droid's going to pull email from your mail server. If your account is a POP account then the folders aren't on the server.

Last edited:

keiichi25

Reaction score
Well, there is a slight two-fold problem here.

The droid can be setup to pick up POP3 or IMAP mail as well as Gmail and Exchange mail. The important thing you need to do, however, is make sure that you setup the droid NOT to remove mail from the mail server.

The Drawback to this method is that if you have your mail client getting your mail, most pop mail clients, like Outlook, will remove the mail from the mail server, which means the droid will not necessarily get it before the pop mail client gets and removes it from the server.

The 'echoing' you are seeing is the fact that you are forwarding your e-mail to Gmail, which for Gmail, it is a new message. You can't reverse sync a forwarded e-mail, so you are going to get 'double' messaging, one for your normal client and one for your droid because of the way the message is handled.

Right now, there is no 'simple' solution, simply due to how Pop3 mail clients handle mail, namely, there is no 'message read'. If godaddy had IMAP support, there is a slight chance of doing that level of detail, but both your mail client and droid have to be setup not to remove the message from the mail server or be using an exchange environment, where again, you do not remove the message from the server.

The drawback of not removing the message on the server for the mail client, is that you will be bloating the server getting your mail with 'history', you are not copying down and archiving your mail. At the same time, this makes it so your older mail is not viewable by your droid.

Your old VX6800 is using Pocket PC (Windows Mobile) where you have a desktop based syncing application, the Droid, you are looking at a third party application to be installed on you computer, quite possibly, Touchdown, as a means to achieve what you might be looking for.

austinnadz

Reaction score
I have a similiar situation so what I have settled on is this:

I leave mail on the server all the time. I use webmail, and have all of my mail forwarded to webmail and it has a setting to delete mail off of the server after x-amount of days, maybe you have a setting like this?

And then both on my phone and my computers I have outlook setup to retrieve and leave mail on the server (and after so many days it's automatically deleted). That way I get all of my mail all the time logged onto my computer, and I have quick access on my phone to my newer email. And after the amount of days chosen by me it clears the old messages off the server and I still have a hard copy. And to be honest, I'd have to research a little more, but there may even be a setting in outlook to delete mail off the server after so many days as well. **Something else that should be noted here is that my webmail account has it's junkmail settings fairly high, it cuts down on the amount of crap I receive that I just don't care about, so I get less emails.

Also, I don't know about the droid as of right now (still using my motorola q9m) but my phone has a setting where you can download messages within the past week, day, hour etc. so unless you need a phone copy of everything you have you can check that setting as well (be honest with yourself if you are like me the longest I don't look at a computer of some sorts is about 10 hours). When that setting is checked you aren't bombarded with email that needs to be foldered or that is weeks old, a quick check/nod to the email on your phone and you know it is foldered on an outlook account.

It doesn't necessarily solve your problem I understand, but I'd rather have email that I have already seen than email that I misplace between 3 computers and a phone.

Hope this helps a little until a workaround can be found!

OP
D

djsmooth56

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I tried the "touchdown" program and it did not work because i am not using a exchange server. i then tried to leave a copy on the server (godaddy), but my inbox filled up to capacity very quickly (i do a lot of e-mailing with large attachments). why cant this phone be more useful to business people like myself? it seems like i am wasting a lot of time and not getting it to work as good as my 2 year old technology in the old 6800.

i then tried to directly opo the email to my phone and could not get it to sync up correctly with godaddy.

fishepa

Reaction score
Well, in all fairness, most business users are using Exchange. :)

keiichi25

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I tried the "touchdown" program and it did not work because i am not using a exchange server. i then tried to leave a copy on the server (godaddy), but my inbox filled up to capacity very quickly (i do a lot of e-mailing with large attachments). why cant this phone be more useful to business people like myself? it seems like i am wasting a lot of time and not getting it to work as good as my 2 year old technology in the old 6800.

i then tried to directly opo the email to my phone and could not get it to sync up correctly with godaddy.

The Droid is actually aimed more towards iPhone type consumers than it is business. At the the moment, since this is a 1st generation Android 2.0 phone, not all things were taken in to consideration on a business level.

But at the same time, your expectation of how you want to do mail is actually on the level of a Blackberry Enterprise Server (With Exchange) or with Exchange in general where you focus on dual home syncing and leaving the mail on the server for business practice. The typical ISP mail server that does not use IMAP or Exchange based Mail Services is also not expecting a user to leave mail there for multiple mail devices like a phone that can access that mail or multi-location mail clients.

While you can get it done with the Pocket PC, I also believed it was setup with a program to hook up with your Outlook for ActiveSync and assuming you leave your computer on and hooked to the net. At this time, there is no PC application to do ActiveSync/Push from a desktop to the phone.

cheifkeiff

Reaction score