Email Alerts

heem

Reaction score
Anyone find a way to setup custom email alerts for certain senders? For my example, I want to make a loud and vibrating alert for when I get message from my network monitoring system at work - server down, etc - while keeping normal emails at a mild subdued alert to not be obnoxious.

I'd love to try to do it without replacing the whole email application if possible.

Thanks
Jim

OP
heem

heem

Reaction score
will check out, thanks.

OP
heem

heem

Reaction score
Looks like a cool app, but does not support Email alerts service... Just about everything else.. but not email.

J

JohnDroid

You could set up a filter on your email account, when those alerts come in, go to a different email account.

Set up custom alerts (like a loud ringtone) on those other email accounts?

I like how you can set different ringtones, vibrate, etc. on a per email account basis.

OP
heem

heem

Reaction score
There's a good idea, will give it a shot.. thanks.

haijak

Reaction score
I you have Audacity and can make your own ringtones. Put them in a folder named "Notifications" and you will be able to select them my file name in the email account's settings.

OP
heem

heem

Reaction score
Right. There's plenty of ways to make or aquire ringtones, but that doesn't answer the question of how to make the system play a different one for different contacts or other filtering criteria.

windstrings

Reaction score
Right. There's plenty of ways to make or aquire ringtones, but that doesn't answer the question of how to make the system play a different one for different contacts or other filtering criteria.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what your asking:
1. Go to contacts and pick a person you want to direct a ringtone to and touch thier name in the middle "not the phone or it will try to call"
2. Now you can see all thier stats... email address, phone number etc.
3. hit menu at the bottom and go to options
4. highlight ringtone "it will prob be assigned to default right now" and browse to the one you want and highlight it and then hit ok at the lower left and it will be assigned to your contact.

OP
heem

heem

Reaction score
I didn't think ki worded my question in a confusing manner - but maybe I did. I'm looking for a different notification tone when I get an email from person a, person b, etc.

windstrings

Reaction score
I didn't think ki worded my question in a confusing manner - but maybe I did. I'm looking for a different notification tone when I get an email from person a, person b, etc.

Ringtones are understood as being associated with your phone "as in ringing".

It sounds like your talking about "notifications" via when an email comes in, an you want to be able to customize a different sound for each person that sends to you?

This is a totally separate function from ringtones.

To the best of my knowledge Notifications of email are global.

I'm new to pda and smartphones... Im not aware if that feature is avail on any phone.

OP
heem

heem

Reaction score
Right. And if you read my message, I never said ringtones, except much later in the thread when someone suggested I make ringtones to solve my unrelated question....

windstrings

Reaction score
Right. And if you read my message, I never said ringtones, except much later in the thread when someone suggested I make ringtones to solve my unrelated question....

Thats why I prefaced my message with "unless I'm misunderstanding your question"

This reply is what threw me off:

Sorry for the misunderstandings.... its obvious now I cannot help you.... it sounds like John gave you the closest remedy but that sounds specific to accounts rather than specific contacts.

orionshooter

Reaction score
Heem - I know exactly what you were asking for. The ability to assign a different alert (not ringtone) to all of your contacts on the Blackberry Storm was very useful. I had mine set up so that I received no alerts unless it was from my wife or kids.

I am not seeing any way to do that with the Droid. It's disgusting that when we pay for "better" phones - we end up losing rather than gaining features and flexibility.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Touchdown will do it but that doesn't help if you don't have an Exchange account. An email or notification app would be worth looking into.

I am not seeing any way to do that with the Droid. It's disgusting that when we pay for "better" phones - we end up losing rather than gaining features and flexibility.
I'd agree except that you're not stuck with out-of-the-box capabilities with Android.