Ed01 froyo "how to root" vzw fascinate ota update

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
Didnt see this posted here...hope it helps

icon10.gif
Ed01 froyo "how to root" vzw fascinate ota update
(EDIT) Found this on FascinateForums.com ( Originally Posted by bhfd64 )and decided to share since I haven't found anything "as in depth". This is to go from OTA ED01 Update and reinstall ROOT and CWM 2.5.1x

I had an issue trying other ways of always returning to blue recovery, so thought this would help those with the same issue.

Downloads:
Download Samsung drivers from HERE.

Download Odin (computer program) from HERE.

Download ClockworkMod Recovery from HERE. (place this file somewhere on your computer where you can easily locate it).

Download "update.zip" file from HERE. (place this file on the root of your sdcard...not within any folders).

Download "su-2.3.6.1.x.zip" file from HERE. (place this file on the root of your sdcard...not within any folders).

Instructions:
1. Install Samsung drivers on your computer.

2. Open Odin on your computer. (You may need to disable antivirus programs for this to work properly)

3. Power off your phone and remove the battery.

4. Plug the stock USB cord which came with your phone into a powered USB port on your computer (usually on the back of the CPU).

5. Press and hold the "volume down" button on your phone, and continue to hold it while plugging the USB cord into your phone. This will put your phone into download mode. You'll see a large yellow triangle on the screen of your phone. You will also see one of the small boxes in Odin turn yellow, as well as "Added" appearing in the message box.

6. Press the PDA button in Odin (NOT the PHONE button) and navigate to the cwr-all.tar file you downloaded earlier.

7. Press START. When this process has finished, you'll be notified in Odin (succeeded 1/failed 0) and your phone screen will go blank.

8. Unplug your phone and re-insert battery.

9. Press and hold BOTH volume buttons and the power button simultaneously. Hold all three until you see "SAMSUNG" appear. This will boot your phone into recovery. If your text is red, then you're already in ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery and you can skip the rest of this step. If the recovery menu is blue, then you're in stock recovery. Use the volume rocker to navigate down to "apply sdcard:update.zip" and select using the "Home" softkey. This will take you to CWM Recovery (red text menu). If your phone does not boot into recovery here, just pull the battery or wait for it to boot up and then power it down and try this again. It may take a couple tries for you to get it right.

10. When you see the red text and "CwM Voodoo Lagfix Recovery 2.5.1x" at the top, use the volume rocker to navigate down to "Wipe data/factory reset." Press the power button to select, and then navigate to yes, and press the power button again to select. Do this 3 times.

11. Scroll down to "Wipe cache partition," use power button to select, and then highlight and select "Yes." Do this 3 times.

12. Scroll down to "advanced" and then select "Wipe dalvik cache." Scroll to "Yes," and use power button to select. Do this 3 times.

13. Press the "Menu" softkey to return to the previous menu in CWM Recovery.

14. Navigate down to "Install zip from sdcard." Highlight it and press the power button to select.

15. Navigate to "choose zip from sdcard" and select.

16. Navigate to the rooted "su-2.3.6.1.x.zip" file that you downloaded earlier, and select it. Scroll to "Yes," and use power button to select.

17. When you're advised of completion, press the "Menu" softkey to go back to the previous CWR screen, then highlight and select "reboot system now."

At this point your phone will reboot and you'll be rooted with fully bloated ED01 Froyo. Open up your app drawer. You should see an app called "SuperUser". If it's there, you're done! Now you can think about possibly moving on to a custom ROM and/or kernel.

Don't break your phone! It's not my prob if you do! Good Luck, This did work and I am going good!

joe.bob

Reaction score
Was wondering if this method was still running and stable for you? My wife has a fascinate that just took the ota last week, and she wants to improve it so I'll have to root it. Got no experience with samsung tho..

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I haven't updated the guide to CWMR 3 yet, so the file in the downloads section is 2.5. It won't stick on a stock phone without the custom kernel flash. Looks like you copied this over before I made that addition so you could update it to take care of the recovery issue.

Sport

Reaction score
I haven't updated the guide to CWMR 3 yet, so the file in the downloads section is 2.5. It won't stick on a stock phone without the custom kernel flash. Looks like you copied this over before I made that addition so you could update it to take care of the recovery issue.

Just curious if this has been addressed?

Thanks

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No it hasn't. I will work on it tonight. You can still use it as is, you'll just want to flash CWMR3 zip from this thread afterwards.

Sport

Reaction score
I'm currently on step #16 and do NOT see su-2.3.6.1.x.zip listed. HELP please.?

Thanks

Sport

Reaction score
I'm currently on step #16 and do NOT see su-2.3.6.1.x.zip listed. HELP please.?

Thanks

su-2.3.6.1.x.zip

Do I pull battery and open in Odin and basically start over...except for formatting again? In short, how do I get it onto my phone?

Thanks!!!

I found it in my PC folder, but either missed the step or that particular step is omitted...?
Looks like it should be Step #6a

Sport

Reaction score
While in red recovery, can I just pull battery and go back to step #1 without causing damage?

Sport

Reaction score
OK...I feel silly.

Figured out what I did wrong. I assumed that I could install the update and SU zip files via Odin. This is incorrect.

All better now. :)

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Any suggestions on what I should/can do now that I'm rooted?

You could look into custom ROMs. Here are instructions on how to flash them. There are dedicated threads to Community ROM and Evil Fascination on this forum. They're the 2 most stable at the moment.