Ebay Question.

Quotation

Reaction score
Edit: I have another question a couple posts down. I would appreciate an answer for that also. Thanks.

Okay so I am currently stuck with a crappy slide flip type phone that is slowing breaking on me. So I would like to get a new phone (a droid of course :)). Only I am not able to upgrade until August 15th of this year. So I am either stuck waiting til then (I don't think my phone can last that long), buy a new phone at retail (not doing that due to the price), or I guess purchasing a phone from Ebay.

So my question is would this be a smart choice? Sounds good, but how safe is Ebay exactly when it comes to buying a phone? I know you want to find one that looks like it is in good condition, has a clean esn, and is being sold by a seller with near 100% feedback.

So I did find one that looks good but I was hopping you guys could give me an opinion on everything and look it over: here. Good or Bad? Looks good to me.. but does it look like a safe buy? And is the price right?

Thanks for your time :).

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would say so long as you do your homework on the seller you'll be ok. Look at how many positives they have. Have they sold a Droid in the past and if so, what happened, did it go well. Check the comments.

Als make sure that the ESN is valid. Ask the seller to give you the ESN, call Verizon and find out if it's good.

Avoid Craig's List. I see too many people get bad phones from them. I don't see that with eBay.

OP
Q

Quotation

Reaction score
I figure I'd post this here instead of creating a new thread, but I have one more question.

If I purchase a droid from Ebay will I be able to add a data plan onto my existing contract without extending my contract? Meaning I will still be able to upgrade to a new phone on August 15th (my phone renewal day).

Can someone please shed some information about this please?

Once again thanks :).

Thunder_sl

Reaction score
I figure I'd post this here instead of creating a new thread, but I have one more question.

If I purchase a droid from Ebay will I be able to add a data plan onto my existing contract without extending my contract? Meaning I will still be able to upgrade to a new phone on August 15th (my phone renewal day).

Shouldn't be a problem...They let you change your plan whenever you want. I really don't think they would mind getting more $$ from you! :) You wouldn't be able to REMOVE data if you signed up/renewed with a smartphone..but adding data shouldn't affect your contract. You can always call and ask, but I don't see why it would be a issue...

EDIT: Actually..I just read that they will probably REQUIRE you to have a data plan if you get a droid.... Hmmmm..That probably just confuses you more....They are good at causing confusion.. :)

OP
Q

Quotation

Reaction score

Shouldn't be a problem...They let you change your plan whenever you want. I really don't think they would mind getting more $$ from you! :) You wouldn't be able to REMOVE data if you signed up/renewed with a smartphone..but adding data shouldn't affect your contract. You can always call and ask, but I don't see why it would be a issue...

EDIT: Actually..I just read that they will probably REQUIRE you to have a data plan if you get a droid.... Hmmmm..That probably just confuses you more....They are good at causing confusion.. :)

Thanks for the info. I knew that they required a data plan with a droid, but I just wanted to make sure that I could add a data plan onto my current contract without them giving me a new 2yr contract for this phone. Because I don't want to be stuck with an Ebay bought original droid for 2 years and lose my august upgrade lol.

If that makes any sense at all lol.

Fightnfire

Reaction score
I just got my droid X from ebay last week because I want to save my upgrade for one of the new Droids coming out this summer. (Had an OG Droid forever)

It went fantastic. Make sure the seller is legit, do your research and then call Verizon with the ESN to double check.

I know Droid 1's are going for 125-150 and the X's are going for 225-300 depending on the shape of the phone and accessories with it.

OP
Q

Quotation

Reaction score
I just got my droid X from ebay last week because I want to save my upgrade for one of the new Droids coming out this summer. (Had an OG Droid forever)

It went fantastic. Make sure the seller is legit, do your research and then call Verizon with the ESN to double check.

I know Droid 1's are going for 125-150 and the X's are going for 225-300 depending on the shape of the phone and accessories with it.
Thanks this is what I wanted to here! Someone in the same position I was, getting from Ebay to save an upgrade for later. I'm glad it went smooth and I am glad that everything worked out for you.

I am going to contact the seller and ask for the ESN so I can verify it with Verizon just to make sure and after that I will definitely jump on one.

Thanks everyone for the help they've given me, and I can't wait to be apart of the droid community :).

Beka27

Reaction score
Now is going to be a good time to do this with folks trying to unload their old phones and recoup some of the cost of their TBs! I wouldn't rule out Craigslist either, but there might be more security with Ebay.