Buying a Droid off ebay...

gslimjim98

Reaction score
There is a big risk buying a phone off of eBay. What is the seller's rating, have they received positive feedback on other phone sales? I've sold several phones on eBay myself, but I have 100% positive feedback, been an eBay member for several years, and when I ever list a phone, I guarantee 100% the phone is unlocked and ready to use. If you want to PM me the link to the Droid you're looking at, I would be happy to go look at it, and give you my honest opinion. I'll even email the seller to get the ESN number to verify it is not on the lost or stolen list.

Bottom line is be very aware before making the purchase. Using PayPal apparently can also help if you do get a bad eBay experience but I've never had that happen thankfully.

hey i am new to this forum, i seriously want a droid but i am not about paying the full 500-560 dollars for it. so in the meantime i was considering craiglist but most people are saying that is a bad idea and that ebay is better. of course there are still risks but like u said you would do for the OP would you do for me when the time is right, check the seller to see if he is legit and if the ESN is clean. also i want a very good price possibly 300-400. im not talking bout now but in the near future cause i am looking for cash to get it. but it must be capable of NO CONTRACT though cause i don't want to be bound by contract. also no hacked phones. PM me if you're interested in helping me soon.

modette

Reaction score
Well my current phone is broke and i dont have insurance and i think im going to buy a droid. i am finding unopened droids for 350 on ebay. First question if i happen to buy a droid off ebay am i out of luck if the phone becomes defective? What will i need to fix the phone under warranty? Also is there a risk of buying a phone off ebay? Like the seller writing down the ESN number?

Thanks

What is your ETF? $350...seems steep to me.

On my contract it says ETF $350, plus it goes down $10 a month, I think it has been 2 months now. So it cost me $330. All one has to do is pay the ETF which lets you out of the contract, and then your eligible for a new phone. People have claimed you can get a Droid for $20 with a contract...if that is true your total out of pocket then is (for me) $350...same as you would of paid for a 'maybe' phone, maybe it works, maybe it is new, maybe you have no problems of the seller scamming you.

Of course with ebay you could always do a charge back with your credit card company if the product is not as advertised. Just don't expect to then use your ebay account or Paypal account after that. But you have that RIGHT under your CREDIT CARD agreement.

dro

Reaction score
I got one without issues for $300 on ebay, insurance carried over verified by a customer service rep. Just make CERTAIN the auction clearly states the condition of the phone and esn. If they do not mention the esn, don't get it.