Buying the droid on Ebay to save money. Good idea?

daytrade

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Question. I'm not eligible for $199.99 droid deal on the Verizon website so looks like I'm going to have to pay full price which is $560 with no contract. :(

Now on Ebay it looks like they can be had for around $80-$100 less then Verizon's $560 asking price. Is it a good idea to buy one on Ebay? Will Verizon charge me an activation fee when I bring the phone in because I believe the activation is free if I buy the droid from Verizon for $560. Not sure which way to go about getting it. Thanks in advance!

Josh

mjs31

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Question. I'm not eligible for $199.99 droid deal on the Verizon website so looks like I'm going to have to pay full price which is $560 with no contract. :(

Now on Ebay it looks like they can be had for around $80-$100 less then Verizon's $560 asking price. Is it a good idea to buy one on Ebay? Will Verizon charge me an activation fee when I bring the phone in because I believe the activation is free if I buy the droid from Verizon for $560. Not sure which way to go about getting it. Thanks in advance!

Josh

Never a good idea for a brand new phone IMHO. As mentioned...the returns is key. It it up to you though since it may very well work out.

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
Verizon (from what I've found since being a customer for over 13 years) is they take in consideration of the customer-loyalty factor.

How long have you been a Verizon customer? How much longer is it until your "New Every 2?" How are you comfortable in asking for a supervisor when you don't get an answer you're looking for?

IMHO, ask yourself these questions and see how much of a fight you're willing to take on. I personally have been able to upgrade a full year before my "New Every 2" because I was willing to push things.

Can't hurt--right? Again, Verizon is about customer retention.

- Mega

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Verizon (from what I've found since being a customer for over 13 years) is they take in consideration of the customer-loyalty factor.

How long have you been a Verizon customer? How much longer is it until your "New Every 2?" How are you comfortable in asking for a supervisor when you don't get an answer you're looking for?

IMHO, ask yourself these questions and see how much of a fight you're willing to take on. I personally have been able to upgrade a full year before my "New Every 2" because I was willing to push things.

Can't hurt--right? Again, Verizon is about customer retention.

- Mega

it's not just the new every 2, he should be looking at how much longer until the 10 month period, for an annual upgrade.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I wouldn't buy a device such as a smartphone off ebay. some shady business there....

Spanky

Reaction score
Don't buy a phone from ebay. (especially an expensive one) I bought a cheap phone for my wife from ebay once and it was defective. We were able to send it back, but you may run into a seller who's a total jerk-off.

cLovis_ll

Reaction score
Don't buy a phone from ebay. (especially an expensive one) I bought a cheap phone for my wife from ebay once and it was defective. We were able to send it back, but you may run into a seller who's a total jerk-off.

yeah specially those sellers with low ratings or the ones that doesn't even have a single feedback on them..

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
I used to buy everything off of ebay in hopes of saving a few bucks. Not so much anymore, I like having the ability to take something back locally if something goes wrong with the deal.