Easy Root, one-click root for DROID 1 and DROID X, works as intended

pastorbob

Reaction score
Ok, so I def want to root... but only really to Overclock, I want to stick with 2.1 for now (I dont want to mess around with ROMs... yet). This is possible correct? I know that I need to download a new kernel to OC, but that is something I can do without flashing an entire ROM right?

correct. just make sure the kernel that you flash is not a froyo kernel. you should be good otherwise.

pastorbob

Reaction score
^Do we just need SetCPU to do this?

If you are not running a custom rom that automatically controls the cpu speed then yes, I believe you do. Certain roms like Bugless beast have a script that controls it for you but even then I am still a big fan of using the profiles feature in setcpu.

Jasko

Reaction score
I was looking at the Profiles and all of them give me the option of 550MHz is the max it can do. I'm assuming I need to install a new Kernal of some sort to allow it to go at higher speeds? Sorry, I'm a complete noob at this :/

pastorbob

Reaction score
I was looking at the Profiles and all of them give me the option of 550MHz is the max it can do. I'm assuming I need to install a new Kernal of some sort to allow it to go at higher speeds? Sorry, I'm a complete noob at this :/

Correct. Download Rom manager and there are actually kernels that are free for download (if I remember Correctly) under the cyanogen section. then when you start the phone back up go into setcpu and select autodetect and it will give you the full range of whatever particular kernel you installed.

steveinil

Reaction score
are there any backup apps? or other options than the one shown here that is just one mounth free? one that is free and not just a trial? or once i root will i have other options? sorry if any double questions there lol. that have already been asked

Jasko

Reaction score

Correct. Download Rom manager and there are actually kernels that are free for download (if I remember Correctly) under the cyanogen section. then when you start the phone back up go into setcpu and select autodetect and it will give you the full range of whatever particular kernel you installed.

Yeaaah. I followed your instructions and downloaded bekit Kernals (0.8.4). I downloaded and when it goes to reboot, I get the phone image with the exclamation mark inside a triangle image on the boot up screen and it hangs. Then I have to just hit the power button to reboot it after that.

When loading ROM Manager after this, I get a Recovery Failure screen.

I hope I'm doing something wrong. :(

Any advice?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Those using one button rooting and are unfamiliar with rooting:

It would be hypocritical of me to tell people to not use that method, since the reason I got into rooting today was because of the sholesmod updater app. I understand the fear at times that you could mess up your device so you want a method to get to root with out all the "oh craps".
I am by no means a tech geek, but I do as much research as I can to help make the process easy to understand.
If you are not gonna learn what you did then you are hurting yourselves. Use the method, but learn what is going on so you can get yourself out of a jam.

Please read this:

How to root and rooting tips - Android Forum

Good luck, and if you have any questions stop by the RS section.

pastorbob

Reaction score

Yeaaah. I followed your instructions and downloaded bekit Kernals (0.8.4). I downloaded and when it goes to reboot, I get the phone image with the exclamation mark inside a triangle image on the boot up screen and it hangs. Then I have to just hit the power button to reboot it after that.

When loading ROM Manager after this, I get a Recovery Failure screen.

I hope I'm doing something wrong. :(

Any advice?

So you are able to boot the phone back up?

Skyscraper38

Reaction score
Do I need to wipe data and cache? That's the one thing i hate doing.

I hate losing my apps, and having to set-up my phone when doing this.

vandal996

Reaction score
Bought the app. I did a power off and restart and a battery pull and a restart but the phone does automatically load the easy root start page. What am I doing wrong.
It is a two day old X if that matters.
Am I misunderstanding the reboot process?
Thanks in advance.

vandal996

Reaction score
OK. I remember how to boot the old droid but what is the process for the X?

suliman

Reaction score
getting a damn server error every time on my phone when i try to buy and enter credit card info. wtf.

suliman

Reaction score
wow this is getting really frustrating. i have repeated entering my information almost 10 times now over and over and it gives me this error repeatedly..