DX2 vs. D3

wendee2150

Reaction score
I got a DX2 in June and have had various issues with it. The DX2 folks said you could get VW to relpace it with a D3 which they did. So for today, I own both phones. Tomorrow I have to return one of them. Is the D3 a more stable phone? I don't have to have bells and whistles and a physical keyboard is nice, but not essential. Opinions are very welcome. Experience is gratefully welcomed. Thanks in advance!
Wendy

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Shimmy549

Reaction score
I've not heard much about the D3 being an unstable device. Certainly, there is always the stray device that is defective in some way, but it doesn't seem that the D3 is more problematic than any other phone on the market. Mine has been very reliable up to this point. I know that's anecdotal, but it's hard for me not to recommend this device when mine has worked so well.

I'm also a little biased because I prefer the physical keyboard over the virtual one. I type out a lot of emails and I dread having to do that when I'm using one of my touchscreen-only devices.

My advice to you: Go with the D3. Can I guarantee that nothing will go wrong? No, no one can. But the D3 seems like a pretty solid device.

spunker88

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the Droid X2 will ever see ICS. Spec wise it is on par with the Droid 3, but it is the odd phone out with a Nvidia CPU. The Droid 3, Bionic and Razr all have the TI OMAP CPU, and seeing that the flagship Google phone has an OMAP, we will probably see better support for OMAP devices whether it be official Motorola or unofficial CM9 ROMs.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the Droid X2 will ever see ICS. Spec wise it is on par with the Droid 3, but it is the odd phone out with a Nvidia CPU. The Droid 3, Bionic and Razr all have the TI OMAP CPU, and seeing that the flagship Google phone has an OMAP, we will probably see better support for OMAP devices whether it be official Motorola or unofficial CM9 ROMs.

Specs def not on par for ics. Not nuff mem. Thus why charge, d3, and tbolt wont get ics ota's... bionic rzr rezound and gnex are the future. As far as ics is concerned. :). But i would def go with d3. 0map ftw

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

mikedyk43

Reaction score

Very good point! It is pretty safe to say that most everyone with an Android phone wants the latest software on their device. There has been very good support so far for the D3 and I think that is partially because of the hardware similarities it shares with several other phones. I haven't been following X2 support, but I can tell you that there will be D3's (mine included) running ICS soon, even before Motorola releases their version.

doogald

Reaction score
Specs def not on par for ics. Not nuff mem.

The Nexus S with 512 MB RAM and a single-core CPU is getting ICS. Google has said that any phone that shipped with GB wil be able to run with ICS. Whether Motorola and Verizon will develop an official build for the D3 is another thing, though.

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
The Nexus S with 512 MB RAM and a single-core CPU is getting ICS. Google has said that any phone that shipped with GB wil be able to run with ICS. Whether Motorola and Verizon will develop an official build for the D3 is another thing, though.

Chances are we'll have a custom ICS Rom long before then. Hashcode, already has a bootable version now, he just has to fine tune it.

Butt dialed from my hamburger phone

ex0rcist

Reaction score

Official? Where did u read this? I saw... rzr bionic rezound...but i knew they may announce more phones. After they said bionic. I didnt care haha.. either way...idk why they would upgrade that old nex and not the tbolt..charge or x2..orrr any of the other million 512 ram single core gb Devices all of which are equal to or superior from a hardware standpoint to nex s... hmmmmmmm

doogald

Reaction score

Erikbal

Reaction score
I'd definitely go with the 3 as well. Mine has been great with no problems at all. Personally I love it and am very happy with it!

spunker88

Reaction score
Specs def not on par for ics. Not nuff mem. Thus why charge, d3, and tbolt wont get ics ota's... bionic rzr rezound and gnex are the future. As far as ics is concerned. :). But i would def go with d3. 0map ftw

ICS doesn't use that much more RAM than GB, maybe with a bunch of bloatware, but the Android SDK Emulator does fine on 512MB of RAM. Idle with no programs loaded ICS is using just under 100MB of RAM. I really hope we see an update from Motorola, but Hashcode should have us covered if they don't

ex0rcist

Reaction score
ICS doesn't use that much more RAM than GB, maybe with a bunch of bloatware, but the Android SDK Emulator does fine on 512MB of RAM. Idle with no programs loaded ICS is using just under 100MB of RAM. I really hope we see an update from Motorola, but Hashcode should have us covered if they don't

For the dx2 or d3?

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
For the dx2 or d3?

Probably for the D3, I've only seen him working on D3 stuff and a Bionic Port, nothing for the Dx2

Butt dialed from my hamburger phone