D3 vs Bionic speed difference?

nmos

Reaction score
I went into the Verizon store planning to upgrade my D1 to a D3. The main performance issue I have with my D1 is when I'm running multiple apps at once such as playing music (using Subsonic) while browsing or using maps. In the store I tried cycling through Maps gallery, browsing, flash etc and the D3 performed great. Then I wondered over to the Bionic and tried the same test and everything felt just a bit faster. AFIK they have nearly identical hardware except for the Bionic having 2x the ram but I'm pretty sure I never reached the point where the D3 was closing apps to make room for others so that shouldn't matter. Does anyone with experience with both phones have thoughts on the matter?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I've heard people say the bionic is a bit faster then the D3.

This could be a software thing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Quertyman

Reaction score
Idk which is which but I personally LOVE the droid 3 and it is fast and reliable I woudnt want any other phone. Also the reason I got the droid 3 was that 4g drains the battery and I like the perfect screen size not too big and not too small. The bionic is also 100$ more so for me the droid 3 was a definite

sent from my beast DROID 3

qudwis

Reaction score
i wouldn't call that faster, but it's more of smoother..
thx to 1gb of ram

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Lots of these assessments are subjective. More memory doesn't make the phone any smoother, it just allows more preloads or larger apps to run. The way Android uses memory is different than what you are use to and unless there is no room to preload apps that you actually use frequently, speed and smoothness is not a result of more memory.

There is a lot to love about both these phones, and some things to be disappointed in. For me, the keyboard is the deciding factor, but if the D3 isn't fast enough for you, don't go off running toward the Bionic, wait for faster processors or more cores.

akhi216

Reaction score
Lots of these assessments are subjective. More memory doesn't make the phone any smoother, it just allows more preloads or larger apps to run. The way Android uses memory is different than what you are use to and unless there is no room to preload apps that you actually use frequently, speed and smoothness is not a result of more memory.

There is a lot to love about both these phones, and some things to be disappointed in. For me, the keyboard is the deciding factor, but if the D3 isn't fast enough for you, don't go off running toward the Bionic, wait for faster processors or more cores.

Well said.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
bionic

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
I've tested both devices myself, and may have been walking into that decision with my mind already set on the D3. The Bionic doesn't dissappoint, and is quick, but I'll always like the size and format of the Droid line, and the redesigned D3 physical keyboard is just too nice. I think it just varies with personal preference.

OP
N

nmos

Reaction score

Understood, that was pretty much my my thinking and the reason for my confusion. With my current OG droid (running Bugless) I can really "feel" it when it starts having to kick apps out of memory to make room for a new one (switching from a flash based web page to Maps for example) and I didn't feel that kind of pausing on either the D3 or Bionic. After cycling through several large apps a couple of times I checked the free memory on each device and although I don't remember exactly how much each had left I didn't notice either being close to running out.

For you folks with the D3 do you find that you have enough space for all of your normal apps to load and stay loaded?

svickstc

Reaction score
i wouldn't call that faster, but it's more of smoother..
thx to 1gb of ram

This, I was going to trade my D3 on a Bionic with all the issues I had with my stock D3, or go back to the i"sheep"

I played with the Bionic and it was smoother for sure, but could not really see a difference in speed, I mean they use the same CPU.

This called all be a software thing and not a hardware thing, all I know is im quite happy with the speed of the D3 as well as the Bionic, but other features kept my on my rooted D3 :)

Do wish the D3 had 1gb of ram...

I cant wait for things to keep coming out from apple and moto

Last edited:

spillner

Reaction score
After the update I noticed a pretty big bump in performance. When I compared it to the Bionic I never really noticed a difference. Its nice to have 1 gig of ram but GB seems to manage it just fine. Their both great phones, depends on preference.