Dx not working on computer?

Cacti

Reaction score
1. Connect the X to your computer. On your X, pull your notification bar down and see if you have the "USB connection" notification. If you don't see the notification, go to step 4.

2. Tap the notification once and try one of the other USB connection modes. You'll have these modes to choose from:

PC Mode
Windows Media Sync
USB Mass Storage
Charge Only

Try PC Mode or USB Mass Storage.

3. Check your computer, watching if it starts the device install dialog down on your System Tray in the lower right-hand corner.

4. If this doesn't work, then reinstall the Motorola drivers mentioned by a previous poster. If that still doesn't work, I would say that you have a USB port or USB driver problem on your computer.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
The USB sync didn't work between my computer XP operating system and the Droid X. I simply started by downloading the updated Motorola drivers from their website mentioned above and within 5 minutes was back in business.

pawlyourbase

Reaction score
Hi all, new here, new to Android and smart phones period. I am in love with my Dx .. wow. Anyway I had this problem and found a solution so I wanted to share since this is the first search to come up in Google.

do you have a task killer installed, if you do and you kill the usb task you will lose connectivity to your computer. it will also not charge when connected to a computer but will work with the regular charger.

I set usb to safe or white listed to protect it from task killing.

1. Connect the X to your computer. On your X, pull your notification bar down and see if you have the "USB connection" notification. If you don't see the notification, go to step 4.

2. Tap the notification once and try one of the other USB connection modes. You'll have these modes to choose from:

PC Mode
Windows Media Sync
USB Mass Storage
Charge Only

Try PC Mode or USB Mass Storage.

3. Check your computer, watching if it starts the device install dialog down on your System Tray in the lower right-hand corner.

4. If this doesn't work, then reinstall the Motorola drivers mentioned by a previous poster. If that still doesn't work, I would say that you have a USB port or USB driver problem on your computer.

I was at 4. I read somewhere else if the computer STILL doesn't see the Dx that you should plug in the usb, and then reboot the phone while it is connected. Once I did that, the USB Connection notification came right up and it has ever since I've connected/reconnected the phone.
All the tools and everything are working great now.

Wanted to share! dancedroid