Droid X Restarts Computer upon USB Plugin

Gunny65

Reaction score
I just got my Droid X. I plugged the driod into my computer "Running Vista 32" using the supplied usb cable. My computer recognized the device and then I was directed to install Vcast. Installed Vcast. Plugged the Driod back into the usb port and it restarted my computer. When the PC tried to restart, it would only make it to the loading windows splash and then restart again. I unplugged the Droid and let the PC completely reboot. It did with no problems. I plugged the Droid in and it rebooted my PC again. Tried three times. Same result. Any suggestions?

Other USB devices plugin and run fine so this is directly linked to the Droid plugging in.

Last edited:

Inkarnit

Reaction score
I just got my Droid X. I plugged the driod into my computer "Running Vista 32" using the supplied usb cable. My computer recognized the device and then I was directed to install Vcast. Installed Vcast. Plugged the Driod back into the usb port and it restarted my computer. When the PC tried to restart, it would only make it to the loading windows splash and then restart again. I unplugged the Droid and let the PC completely reboot. It did with no problems. I plugged the Droid in and it rebooted my PC again. Tried three times. Same result. Any suggestions?

Other USB devices plugin and run fine so this is directly linked to the Droid plugging in.

Never heard of it CAUSING a reboot before but it not finishing reboot while plugged in is normal. It's trying to boot from the phone that way. As for why it reboots, have you tried making sure you have the latest drivers from Motorola?

OP
G

Gunny65

Reaction score

Never heard of it CAUSING a reboot before but it not finishing reboot while plugged in is normal. It's trying to boot from the phone that way. As for why it reboots, have you tried making sure you have the latest drivers from Motorola?

I went into settings and checked for "system updates". It said I was up to date. Is there another way to check?

OP
G

Gunny65

Reaction score
I updated the motorola USB drivers. It updated but didn't fix the problem. I tried updating the charging drivers but I can't without plugging my phone in and we know what happens then...

Yes, I did try. I saw the balloon, detecting new device, (or something like that) and it then rebooted before I could do anything. Barely saw the balloon statement.

I was able to plug my phone into another computer with no problem. The "detecting device" balloon popped up and the computer didn't reboot. So, it is a problem between my phone and my PC only. Driver problem or detection problem I guess.

Not sure what to do from here. How can I uninstall from when the my PC first detected my phone and installed...whatever it installed?

tatuud

Reaction score
since you have a computer that you can plug your phone into, why don't you do that again, switch your phone to charge only, hit ok then unplug it. my phone always defaults to the previous setting i had it on when i plug it in. hopefully your phone does the same thing, that way when you plug your phone in, it will only charge and not reboot your computer, that way you can hopefully try the other phone modes and see if you can fix it...just a thought

OP
G

Gunny65

Reaction score
since you have a computer that you can plug your phone into, why don't you do that again, switch your phone to charge only, hit ok then unplug it. my phone always defaults to the previous setting i had it on when i plug it in. hopefully your phone does the same thing, that way when you plug your phone in, it will only charge and not reboot your computer, that way you can hopefully try the other phone modes and see if you can fix it...just a thought

Well, I tried several different settings and nothing worked. So, I used a restore point on my computer (one that was before I plugged my phone in) and restored. I then downloaded the drivers Inkarnit linked to. Then plugged my phone in. It worked. No reboot.

Here is what I think happened. I plugged my phone in thinking it would download the needed drivers. It did download drivers but downloaded much more than required. Somewhere in there was a driver that was incompatable. So...don't let your windows download drivers. Download the drivers yourself, then plug your phone in. Use the link InKarnit provided. They work.

OP
G

Gunny65

Reaction score
UPDATE: I was wrong. It didn't fix it. I waited a few days to post and update because it pissed me off so bad and I was trying everything I could find via google search and these forums.

The phone plugges in once without rebooting Vista after I uninstall the drivers. The next time I plug it in to the PC after I load the drivers, it rebooted Vista. If I don't load the drivers, it looks for them itself and then reboots. The moment it recognizes a USB device is connected to the PC, Vista reboots. It will only reboot to ASUS splash screen until I unplug the phone, then it will tell me window unexpectedly shut down, and then let me start windows normally.

I have uninstalled all things Moto. Downloaded the newest driver software. Installed it again and the phone will access exactly one time. Then next time I plug the phone in it reboots Vista immediately.

I have tried the USB Debugging. Didn't work. Tried looking updating the drivers by letting windows do it and then by doing it myself when the phone was first plugged in. Like I said, it recongnizes it once. The next time, reboot.

I am running Vista 32, Asus M4A79 MB, 4GB Ram, Dual ATI 4870 graphics cards, Creative SB X-fi extreme gamer. The DX is the only thing that I have had problems with in about the last 2 years. I am frustrated and getting tired of this reboot problem. My wife doesn't have this problem but she is running XP. My phone on her computer hooks up just fine.

Labboss

Reaction score
Mine was doing the same on both my XP laptop and Win7 Desktop. But they were both doing the blue screen. Finally noticed that there was a conflict with another program. I had DVD43 loaded and it was causing the system to crash when I plugged in the cable. Kill any decoders and try it again. Once it installs the Motorola driver, it doesn't crash anymore.

Hope this helps.

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
Thank you soooo much. I just switched to the X from the incredible. With the incredible you could get into the programming of the phone and uncheck load as CD (or something like that) I tried to get into the X and didn't find that option rooted or not. Closing DVD43 seems to have done the trick for me so far.