94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Telescopist said:
They are the same person, same info. I tried to comine the contacts in Gmail>Contacts. That did not effect a change on my MAXX. Finally, I simply deleted all the contacts in Google. What I'm trying to find out is how to delete or merge the contacts on the phone. There does not seem to be a way. How would you like it if you had 8 contacts all having the same content of, say Bank of America? :icon_eek: It's bad enough having one! Should there be a setting somewhere on the phone that I can expunge all the contacts and start over?

To do this follow these steps. Tap the dialer icon. Tap contacts. Find the contact you wish to delete. Long press the contact. Meaning touch the contact and keep your finger on the contact, release when a menu pops up. At the bottom of the menu, it will say delete. Tap delete and that's it. It may ask "delete contact"?? Tap OK. Done.

Hope this helps??

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Telescopist

Reaction score
To do this follow these steps. Tap the dialer icon. Tap contacts. Find the contact you wish to delete. Long press the contact. Meaning touch the contact and keep your finger on the contact, release when a menu pops up. At the bottom of the menu, it will say delete. Tap delete and that's it. It may ask "delete contact"?? Tap OK. Done. Hope this helps??
DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Thanks, but it doesn't help. I know how to delete one contact. I have over 1200 duplicate contacts! I was looking for a way to do a mass delete. You'd think that option would be available somewhere.... Anyway what I did seemed to work. I deleted all of Google contacts from the PC side. then resynced back to Google using my PIM of preference - Time & Chaos. Once I did that, the newly ordered list was transferred to the phone.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Telescopist said:
Thanks, but it doesn't help. I know how to delete one contact. I have over 1200 duplicate contacts! I was looking for a way to do a mass delete. You'd think that option would be available somewhere.... Anyway what I did seemed to work. I deleted all of Google contacts from the PC side. then resynced back to Google using my PIM of preference - Time & Chaos. Once I did that, the newly ordered list was transferred to the phone.

Wow, had I known you were dealing with that many duplicates, I would've changed my tactic lol. Glad you got it handled though.

In contacts if you press the options hey, you will see display options, if you would've unselected google, it would've removed the Google contacts.

Just putting that out there. I'll keep your work around in mind though, for future reference

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Telescopist

Reaction score
Wow, had I known you were dealing with that many duplicates, I would've changed my tactic lol. Glad you got it handled though.

In contacts if you press the options hey, you will see display options, if you would've unselected google, it would've removed the Google contacts.

Just putting that out there. I'll keep your work around in mind though, for future reference.

BTW this is an unabashed plug for an application called Companion Link. Companion Link will syncs your contacts from Outlook or, in my case Time & Chaos to the phone. I was having all kinds of issues with duplicate contacts that I think now originated with a corrupt version of Companion Link. Tech support was great. We were on the phone at least 40 minutes through a complete uninstall and reinstall then on to migrating my contacts over to the phone. Just thought I'd give them their due..

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Telescopist said:
BTW this is an unabashed plug for an application called Companion Link. Companion Link will syncs your contacts from Outlook or, in my case Time & Chaos to the phone. I was having all kinds of issues with duplicate contacts that I think now originated with a corrupt version of Companion Link. Tech support was great. We were on the phone at least 40 minutes through a complete uninstall and reinstall then on to migrating my contacts over to the phone. Just thought I'd give them their due..

Awesome. Definitely keeping this in mind. :)

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Glad you got this sorted on your own...you wouldnt have liked my next suggestion for clearing contacts...Factory Data Reset. Synch to Google, then make sure nothing else sync`d contacts...lol

But, seeing as you have an alternate contacts handler that will cross-navigate, that wouldnt have been the best advice for you...:biggrin:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There is a way to actually let Google delete duplicates for you on the web access. Google "delete duplicate contacts in google" and you'll see the instructions, or just hit this link The Complete Guide to Fixing Google Contacts, though there are others as well.

Telescopist

Reaction score
There is a way to actually let Google delete duplicates for you on the web access. Google "delete duplicate contacts in google" and you'll see the instructions, or just hit this link The Complete Guide to Fixing Google Contacts, though there are others as well.

Thanks. I pretty much stumbled through this part 'figuring things out on the fly' before I read this tutorial. Notable Quote: "Mysterious "blank" contacts: This is most often the case with Android phones syncing to Google Contacts, and it's known to many. It's suggested that using Google Voice to call or SMS contacts, then not using Google Voice to do the same, creates these empty, name-only contacts, because you are, technically, using a different number. No fix at the moment that we've found, but at least you know where the blanks are (likely) coming from."

One can only ponder why Google hasn't fixed this issue yet.. I had to manually delete over 40 of these "mysterious blank" gray boxes from my MAXX. What fun. The other more egregious problem not addressed in the tutorial was the one I ran into. Here is the scenario. My drop down on the Contacts page has the 'option' of "Find and Merge Duplicates". Works great. The only problem is that the phone is deaf to the process. I was still stuck with 1200 duplicate, triplicate, etc. etc contacts. The only way I got out of the situation was to zap all of my contacts in Google. Once I purged the list, I went to the phone. The list was gone. So was the phone icon BTW. :icon_eek: From all 3 panes. Had to go to the App menu and add Phone to Home. Next step was that I re-populated the Contact list using Time & Chaos. Good thing I had T&C on standby.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well, without diminishing all that you went through, all's well that ends well! Glad you got things worked out. :biggrin:

Telescopist

Reaction score
Well, without diminishing all that you went through, all's well that ends well! Glad you got things worked out. :biggrin:

Amen brother. Once we move away from the Rolodex things all of a sudden got real complicated.

Minooka

Reaction score
I just bought the LG Lucid, and most of my contacts showed up at least twice. I tried joining several as recommended, and I got an error message stating "The selected contact cannot be joined". I had to change the display option for my contacts, and not display the backup assistant, and only display the gmail and Facebook contacts. It's aggravating.

AdamPieter

Reaction score
Android allows users to "Join" contacts, which merges the contact details of several records into one.
To "Join" contacts using your Android device:
1. Select a contact
2. Hit Edit
3. Hit the Menu button
4. Select Join
5. Select a matching contact in your list of contacts.
6. Hit Save or Done to finish editing the contact.
Or follow this guide How to Delete Duplicate Contacts on Android

Last edited: